Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1657 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Can dogs smell gold?

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to train a dog to sniff out gold?? They train them for drugs, bodies, explosives. I would pay good money to have a dog like that! Just think.... the money that a guy could make, if it is possible... for both the trainor AND the dog owner!! TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Jun 2009
    Blue Ridge, South Carolina
    295 times

Re: Can dogs smell gold?

Hey Terry, that's actually a good idea. I am working toward a degree in criminal justice and last semester I got to visit with the K-9 units at my local PD. They said most of the drug dogs can smell concentrations of parts per million. And bloodhounds/basset hounds can smell such tiny amounts as parts per hundred million.
    Sample till you find the hot spot, then mine it till its gone! Then start over...

us
    Apr 2005
    North Carolina
    White's Prizm IV
    415 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

The only dog I can think of to smell gold was Snoop Massey. Too bad he thought rattlesnake smelled like gold.
    HH
    enamel7
    2014 COIN ROLL HUNTING TOTALS!

Wheats..27/0
    Buffalos..0/0
    war nickels...0/0
    Silv Dimes...0/0
    Silv Quarters-0/0
    Barbers-0/0
    Walkers-0/0
    Bens-0/0
    Kenn. 90%-0/0
    Kenn. 40%-0/0
    Proof-0/0
    Silv. Proof 0/0
    Commemorative-0/0

us

Jun 2008
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1657 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Naw, was a nice thought but probably won't happen. As soon as CA saw the holes they would be digging all over the Mother Lode, they would do an environmental impact study and the idea would go the same way as dredging! It was a thought, though. TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Jun 2008
    North-Woods WI.
    MineLab/Garret / Whites DFX / Gold Bug
    32 times

My lab many years past was good at bringing home paper money. I would find it in the back yard after his piles would wash down. I did work with him on hunting for silver by wadding up my silver digs in a sock and playing catch and tug a war with it. I kept adding to it and wrapping it in a new sock. Some of my best finds where in my own back yard. I would do it again and believe it works.

jog
    us
    jog

Nov 2008
    Tillamook Oregon
    Whites MXT / GMT
    343 times

I had a lab that would find shed antlers on comand.
    Those Who Say It Can't Be Done Shouldn't Interupt Those That Are Doing It.

us
    May 2009
    Garden Valley, ca.
    Gold Bug Pro
    1813 times

sorry guys but, its been tried.......alot i bet..man has trained canines for thousands of years to do lots of things especially to use that nose of theirs......and when they are using their nose their smelling shed cells..organic matter....some thing that gold silver etc do not shed......if it were possible.....world leaders generals bandits cowboys rich bored dudes you and i would already have heard about the exploits of these wonderful..gold recovery devices......i cans just see the muddy comical atempts in the camps at night 1851 or so California...." come on boy see this nugget smell it please.....please smell it and tomorrow please please smell it in the ground cause this shovelin to bedrock is gonna kill us"

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    229 times

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=&oq=&gs_rfai= I've asked this on many forums over the years.Everyone says no,I say why not.They may not find placer gold in a waterway,dry/wet but surely gold bearing quartz veins may be another story as pyrites/sulphides oxides and they surely have an odor.Believe I read many years ago of this being tried in Russia.So perhaps a young pup can be trained to find the yellow or a likely gold bearing quartz vein,perhaps on the Sheep ranch road.

us

Jun 2008
    1657 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by pvillehunter
    sorry guys but, its been tried.......alot i bet..man has trained canines for thousands of years to do lots of things especially to use that nose of theirs......and when they are using their nose their smelling shed cells..organic matter....some thing that gold silver etc do not shed......if it were possible.....world leaders generals bandits cowboys rich bored dudes you and i would already have heard about the exploits of these wonderful..gold recovery devices......i cans just see the muddy comical atempts in the camps at night 1851 or so California...." come on boy see this nugget smell it please.....please smell it and tomorrow please please smell it in the ground cause this shovelin to bedrock is gonna kill us"
    No no no! Silver DOES leach into the surrounding soil. It is a commonly known truth that coinshooters rely on this phenomenon to find older silver coins. Once the coin is disturbed, though, the effect goes away.
    DAVE! You on Sheep Ranch Rd? That's just down the mountain from me here at Murphys. I'm working on permission to work Coyote Cr. behind Irish Vinyards. Wanna go, if I get it?? TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Apr 2010
    6 times

you know when you have fever when.....

I love this place

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    229 times

Terry,fairly busy of late.I'm down the hill in Angels.I help out Mike Darby who has the little gold shop in downtown Angels Camp,cleaning,panning and evaluating his quartz gold samples.If you've the time I'm at my twice daily hangout,Rodz grille in Angels..5:45-6:30 A.M. and 1:45-2:30 afternoons if you want to B.S, gold stuff.At the counter.I don't get around good enough to do hiking and climbing anymore.....Dave.

us
    May 2009
    Garden Valley, ca.
    Gold Bug Pro
    1813 times

ore smell i might go for...? they smell bombs and gun powder right? whats up with that? maybe the thing to figure out about dogs is how to ground balance them

us

Jun 2008
    1657 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by pvillehunter
    ore smell i might go for...? they smell bombs and gun powder right? whats up with that? maybe the thing to figure out about dogs is how to ground balance them
    My dog got "ground balanced" by the neighbor's John Deer Gator a few weeks ago. Rode over him! Dog's fault. Not hurt bad... just didn't stop running till he got a half mile away, on the other side of the property! Now I think he's afeard of the color green. Dave... I'll look you up... TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Aug 2010
    Colorado

Everyone says no,I say why not.
    Well, I would say no due to the amount of effort involved, both in training and in the field. That would not be a small commitment and you would not be able to use your average scruffy. All of those dogs used for scent discrimnation work (bloodhound maybe excepted) are 'over the top'. They are not your average pet in demeanor or energy. They are bred and alot of the best working dogs come from kennels that cull (more prevelant in Europe) Nor is the trainer your average trainer.

Could you train a dog to find gold as a party trick? If gold smells, sure. Could you train a dog to go out and 'work', looking for things? Right trainer, right dog. But I don't think it feasible. I think it more feasible you will come across the gold you are looking for than it would be for the average owner to pick up and average dog and find gold with him/her.

I plan one last attempt at irresponsibility before I turn 40 and will be living out of my vehicle for a year starting this summer, seeing if I can make enough gas and food money prospecting and looking for other things discussed on this forum, starting in my home state of Colorado and working the west and southwest. My current dog is reaching the end and won't be around next summer, but I will absolutely bring a dog. I don't know why, having spent good portions of my life in the mountains, living, working, playing, etc., snowcat operator, snowmaker, whitewater raft guide, etc., and still, I ALWAYS feel more comfortable alone in the middle of nowhere with a dog - mostly because I think it lessens my chances of stumbling upon a bear or a mountain lion pouncing on me. I sleep better too as my dog will wake me up before something or somebody else does.

So, the next scruffy, which I am already looking for, will be selected for physical conformation and its ability to handles the environments we will be in, from desert to mountain, not its ability to find gold. Best gold hunting dog for me? Don't need a big one either. Dogs get hurt and I wouldn't want to lug a 70lb dog for miles to a vet. Also, a smaller dog can be easily lifetd up/over ledges, etc. An ACD (Austrailian Cattle Dog) or something similar physical conformation and mental capacity.

Feb 2004
    Colorado
    GS5 X-5 GMT
    93 times

There was one oldtimer who had a dog- "Rusty" I believe was his name that
    could sniff out and dig gold nuggets. He would visit tourist spots with a lot
    of newbie folks out there panning for gold. He would tell them that Rusty could
    sniff out nuggets. He would unlease Rusty and soon enough the little dog would sniff out a site and start to dig and out pops a nugget. Again he would unlease Rusty and after he had "pinpointed" a nugget- the oldtime would carefully dig out another nugget. Very quickly the "oldtime" was selling spots where "Rusty" had pinpointed to the tourists. After selling some spots the "oldtime" quietly left the area to the tourists and their newfound wealth.

Moral of this story.

Any dog can sniff and dig out gold nuggets as long as you put a piece of bacon
    under them.

George

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links