Building a Micron Gold Recovery Device

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gedfire,
Welcome aboard! No need to buy a micron gold recovery system. Read down to Astrobouncer's bit on a miller table. It is my opinion that you need to look no further than his post to build a system to recover gold. Gold is NOT magnetic. The magnet route is only to clean up the cons, not to collect gold. Many of the people posting here have "been there.. done that". Read and learn! TTC

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Read through astro's thread here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,317696.0.html

The key to recovering fine gold is classification. I can not say that with enough sincerity it seems, nor anyone else to emphasize the importance to beginners. A 1/32 inch tiny piece of quartz, black sand or any other material will push a smaller piece of gold out of its way. I have made a slate table, and contributed to Astro's thread. I know from experience that classification is a real factor and must be taken seriously if you want to retrieve those micron pieces. I have bought and made classifiers. What ever you can use to seperate the different sizes of material will suffice. I'll try to get a pic up soon of my home made 80 mesh classifier. Pretty simple project that took less than an hour using wood and some polyester fabric from a local fabric store. Best of luck

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And THEN you go after the flour gold. At today's values, that makes more and more sense............errrrr CENTS. ;D

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Most important thing to know about magnets is you will absolutely lose gold. Think OREO cookie with your gold in the middle a 2 pieces of magnatite and all those pieces with magnetic host rock will also adios too. :tongue3: Save them cons for the winter or closed seasons and utilize your precious warm days to GO GET SOME MO' :hello2: tons a au 2 u 2-John

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Hoser John said:
Save them cons for the winter or closed seasons and utilize your precious warm days to GO GET SOME MO'

This is what I tell people too, I don't waste time panning out my cons while I am working a spot, I spend the time running as much material as possible, if I know the gold is there anyway. There's always time later to see what I got. I always try to maximize processing time and cut down on downtime.

Also you should definitely try a miller table for recovery, its amazing.

OP
OP
G

gedfire

Greenie
Sep 22, 2008
Thank you all for the useful advice.I looked up Miller Tables and they do come highly recommended.Also wave tables by Angus,Keene and Action Mining seem to be very popular.

I have another query here.As I am looking at the various recovery methods.I did see several articles on recovering micron gold with magnet as it attracts the iron stuff and many have said that fine /flour/micron gold -100 mesh stuff is attracted to the iron in the blacksand under the influence of a magnetic field.Reggie of the Gould Bazooka, and many other persons who have placed magnets on their sluices to remove the hematite and other magnetic material.I have also seen articles on using activated carbon with a small voltage. I am thinking of modifying a sluice to trap everything.So think of my powersluice with the usual riffles, moss etc.Then at the end we may have a system to catch the micron gold (kinda like a undercurrent system) or sluice extension but with magnets and activated carbon all built in.Done in such a way as to allow for easy clean up.Of course the magnets would have to be sheathed or in a cage as you want to remove them for easier cleanup.Then I will either crush, leach, or use those cool Miller or wave tables to separate stuff. But of course may leach to get the -500 mesh stuff.

What do you all think?
Gary

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gedfire,
Your enthusiasm is refreshing but possibly misguided. If micron gold is being "collected" by magnetic fields, someone is possibly more interested in selling you some magnets than the truth. I am not an expert but maybe the micron gold is being collected by static electricity instead of magnetic fields. BTW, a good way to use a magnet to collect magnetite out of the cons is put the magnet in a thin-film baggie and "daub" it into the cons. Remove the mag from the bag to drop the material. Check this material to verify you are not collecting gold with the mag. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
James,
Interesting. Maybe I should be more careful when using a magnet. Also, it is important to me to collect ANY gold I can see. The one thing I like about a hobby, and keeping this "gold thing" in perspective, is I can spend as little or alot of time I wish to accomplish my goals. YES! I don't punch a clock anymore but I'm working harder now than I ever did! Just returned from a local dealer with a Gold Bug 2. It's time to update my detector "collection" and enter the 21st century!!!! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread