Prospectors lost looking for the Lost Dutchman Mine

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Saw this today on Mindat, and thought I would share the article with you guys.
Search for men on Ariz treasure hunt enters day 3
AP

By BOB CHRISTIE, Associated Press Writer Bob Christie, Associated Press Writer – Tue Jul 13, 5:18 pm ET

PHOENIX – Rescue workers were searching a rugged Arizona wilderness area for a third day in triple-digit temperatures Tuesday for three Utah men who went missing while looking for the legendary Lost Dutchman Gold Mine.

The three men from Salt Lake City have been in the Superstition Mountains since at least Sunday, and possibly nearly a week, Maricopa County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Jesse Spurgin said. They were last heard from last Tuesday.

Curtis Meriworth, 67, Ardean Charles, 62 and Malcolm Meeks, 51, planned on hiking into the mountains and exploring the area about 40 miles east of Phoenix during the day and spending nights in a motel, Spurgin said.

One of the men became lost in the same area last year and had to be rescued. Spurgin said he was unable to confirm exactly which of the three men had become lost, but confirmed the search with officials at the command post.

The area near Lost Dutchman State Park and the Superstition Wilderness is filled with steep canyons, soaring rocky outcroppings, cactus and heavy brush. With temperatures soaring above 110 degrees this week and the men apparently unprepared for lengthy backcountry stays, their lives could be in serious danger.

"Hopefully we're going to find them alive and we're continuing to search with that in mind," Spurgin said.

The Lost Dutchman mine has drawn prospectors of all stripes for more than a century. Fabled as a mother lode mined by a Mexican family in the 1840s before being lost, it was supposedly rediscovered by a German immigrant named Jacob Waltz and his partner in the 1870s.

The partner killed by Indians (or possibly Waltz himself, according to a history on the state park website), Waltz purportedly hid stashes of gold before returning to Phoenix, where he died in 1891. Searchers have tried in vain to find the mine ever since.

The men were apparently just the latest intent on finding their fortunes, Spurgin said. The sheriff's office found the men's car at a trailhead on Sunday afternoon after their family members reported them overdue. On Tuesday, two helicopters, 6 searchers on horseback, search teams with dogs and about a dozen posse members and deputies were looking for them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100713/ap_on_re_us/us_missing_treasure_hunters

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-\ Such a waste of human life looking for something that never existed,the Dutchmens revenge continues as in dead dogs in the middle a the desert stinkn' to high heaven--RIP-John :read2:

Bunk

Nov 28, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
ML 4000-ML X70
It is sad some people think they find the LDM, if it exist, but just something as simple as this could have prevented this...
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php
This is something I have been thinking about for a while now....
Bunk

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bunk,

I have one, and I can't recommend anything more for anybody that has more than a casual interest in the deserts or mountains.

You can buy them on Ebay now for about $50. Basic service is $100 and I also highly recommend getting the $13 insurance that covers your SAR Expenses up to $50K for each instance up to two instances per year (if you need to be rescued by SAR more than twice a year, you REALLY need to get another hobby HAHAHA).

Mike

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have read good things about spot but did not know anybody that had one to get alittle
more feed back about them. thanks much mike for your trusted opinion.
take care and be safe out there. ron

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maui said:
i have read good things about spot but did not know anybody that had one to get alittle
more feed back about them. thanks much mike for your trusted opinion.

So far,

I haven't had to use it. Hope I never do.

Sort of like car insurance. HAHAHA

Best-Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone's wondering, SSAR are still out looking for them, even though the hunt is officially over. Here is a quote from Tom Kollenborn:

SSAR was out again at First Water Trail Head running a search grid. They were there from 1800 to 2030. Nothing new has been found.

Tom K.

That was yesterday.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
Astrobouncer

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Thank you so much for the update, I have been wondering every day since I posted that. Makes me sad to think we have fellow prospectors lost out there, wish I lived close enough to help search for them.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand, they knew nothing about prospecting. They were just looking for the Lost Dutchman.

Mike

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds kind of like the last one that vanished not even a clue as what what happened.
by them vanishing with out even a clue should give other people warning of the great
dangers in those mountains. i have not been in them but i have read alot about them
and their dangers.
i still have some hope that somebody or something will be found.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They found something. I doubt it was the Lost Dutchman, and whatever it was they probably didn't like it very much. What I think they found was;

1. Too much heat with not enough preparation (and got lost on top)

2. A mineshaft with bad supports or bad air

3. Some bad guys working illegally in the mountains

Just my three cents.

Mike

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe they stumbled into a pot ranch. Bad dudes! TTC

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No pot farms in the Supers. Wrong everything to grow it there.Might be able to get away with a few plants here and there, but nothing big.

Mike

jbarker52

May 19, 2010
Does anyone else find it strange that three men could just disappear into thin air??? The men were older, two in their sixties one in fifties. How does a 67 yr. old man who looks overweight walk far in 100 plus degree heat???? They must have ventured into a shaft, or else one turned on the others
and robbed them.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jbarker52 said:
Does anyone else find it strange that three men could just disappear into thin air??? The men were older, two in their sixties one in fifties. How does a 67 yr. old man who looks overweight walk far in 100 plus degree heat???? They must have ventured into a shaft, or else one turned on the others
and robbed them.

Robbed them of what? HAHAHA

Although, my favorite story of robbery and betrayal in the Superstitions is about two brothers from Hawaii. In 1965, the body of a man was found along a trail in the Mountains. Long story short, he and his brother were searching for the Lost Dutchman. They found a huge gold nugget. They argued. One brother killed the other and hid his body.

The huge "gold" nugget turned out to be Iron Pyrite. Worthless!

Mike

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Anyone considering starting into the hobby of prospecting should at least go to one of the many tourist stores that have small gold nuggets for sale, and look them over well. Wild gold doesn't even resemble iron pyrite, if you look closely.

Tiny gold particles, seen through a magnifying glass, does look very much like the larger, visible nuggets, though.

:coffee2:

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
jbarker52 said:
and robbed them.
Its not strange that some one could dissapear in the Superstitions

jbarker52

May 19, 2010
I just don't think a 67 year old man could walk very far in that heat!! Does anyone know where exactly they found their car?? I was thinking I may take a day when it's a little cooler and look for them. They could not have walked very far from their car in that heat. Does anyone know if there are any open mine shafts around there??

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mike, you made some very good points and i agree wth.
thanks much, take care. ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread