Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
And yet more than 100 million people live, work, grow up, raise babies and grow old there. It's truly a wonder that they haven't all died.....

Excellent post Clay D.

There seems to be a prevailing thought, among some Americans, that every other country that's not western culture, or is 3rd world non-affluent people, is .... somehow .... death waiting to happen. Muggers on every corner. Spies in trenchoats on every street corner watching you. Swashbuckling warriors on camels riding around cutting people's hands off for minor offenses. And that every single song you whistle, hobby you do, or religion you espouse , must be illegal and will get you jailed or killed.

It's as if .... people in other countries "aren't normal". Every last one of them is mean. Every single thing in their legal system is in chaos and arbitrary.

But I've talked to people who've gone to odd-ball countries. And myself visited dirt-poor portions of Mexico (Mexico is as corrupt as they come after all). And found NOTHING BUT THE OPPOSITE. In fact, it's often the poor people who will help you out, welcome a stranger, etc... And the rich people who are the snobs, mean, etc..

Does that mean some countries aren't as nice and fair as the USA ? Yes, of course. Does that mean you shouldn't throw caution to the wind? Of course not. But just like the USA: You don't go to the bad side of Chicago, Oakland, or New York and walk dark alleys at night.

A friend of mine was in the Navy stationed in the Philippines. He took ample time off to vacation around the various big cities there (and do the "sailor boy" tourism). He had absolutely no problem at all. Oh ... sure, you learn the do's & don'ts, just like anywhere in the world.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been to PI numerous times... suggest that you go elsewhere on this big planet of ours. The rural areas have some of the most highly armed people on the planet. Besides that little message of joy, it also has one of the most corrupt government. If you have a death-wish, this is the place to get your very own Darwin Award.

Been there multiple times too, I am married to a Filipino as well. I never felt threaten there, no more so than any where else. Southern Philippines on Southern Mindanao island is the only area I would avoid, it is the base area for Muslim rebels. Rest of PI I have no problem going to any more so than going to Atlanta, St Louis, Denver or any other American city.

Last edited:

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
men in black ,, ive been shot and stabbed many times in nyc ,,,here in worst places only 1911 pointed at me knife fight almost only problem i had a WMD so to future miners remember safety 6 feet down in ny 2 miners died gas i electrical vault at mall co gas ...its the same u got the good the bad and the ugly every where ...and remember it not legal to hunt ..... for the tourist heres a tip u want to be a great hunter be ready to get married near the site .....good luck

Last edited:

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
well the last solider (want be hero) died in a dumaguete bar fight did know his limits and the one before got upset at a hotel found out he needed glasses he had the wrong type of gurl he got up set and did what marine know best ,,,,, dont knock it to try it .....score 1 to1 and men in black if post goes puff i know

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And yet more than 100 million people live, work, grow up, raise babies and grow old there. It's truly a wonder that they haven't all died.

The mortality rate is about the same as Colombia, Brazil, Palestine, Mexico or India. Pretty much everywhere people are brown it's the same. Probably more related to poverty, diet and work conditions than government corruption or guns. The death rate in the Philippines is actually about 30% lower than it is in the U.S.

Murder rate? Try Jamaica, Trindad, Bahamas, Honduras, Russia, Costa Rica, Barbados, Grenada, or Panama. They all have much higher murder rates than the Philippines. In fact the Philippines murder rate is about the same as the U.S. in 1995.

Highly armed? You would be hard pressed to find any civilian population as well armed as rural Arizona except possibly Israel. I'm guessing about 20 firearms per person in my immediate neighborhood if you ignore the two that have more than 200. The other neighborhoods I'm familiar with are about the same. It's an open and concealed carry state with no registration or permits required. The murder rate has been dropping in Arizona since concealed carry without a permit has been legal. It's about half the average murder rate in the U.S. as a whole.

In any case I've never seen any studies that show an armed populace to be any more inclined to violence against visitors than an unarmed populace. New York, San Francisco and Chicago being just a few examples of unarmed yet dangerous places to visit. I'm sure you can think of a few hundred more.

By the numbers those having a "death wish" would have a much greater chance of offing themselves by visiting Chicago or Stockton California than they would in the Philippines. Incidentally both those extremely dangerous cities have a virtual ban on gun ownership.

There are a lot of dangerous places for the casual traveler to visit. For those travelers with experience with different cultures the odds of getting into trouble are greatly diminished. I would visit the Philippines without hesitation. Then again I enjoy traveling and experiencing different cultures. Even when those cultures are made up of brown skinned people.

About this Darwin Award - are you on the nominating committee or is your experience more as a consumer? :thumbsup:

Seems as though I started quite a firestorm in several sentences. First of all, please don't compare the murder rate of the US to other counties, since 725,ooo Americans have been demised by firearms from 1965 to present. About 90 per day is our average. Maybe we are trying to be the undisputed champions of violent death by gunshot wounds on the planet, not from conflict. Source: CDC and FBI.

I'm very impressed that you and your neighbors are highly armed. Let's face it - a few probably will end up on the six o'clock news one day. Most of us that have engaged in a war or two have a different view than "chicken hawks" that haven't... but talk like they could.

Thank you for offering up the safety of our cities. But comparing them to the PI is ludicrous at best. Our societies are a totally different. The Philippine people are genuinely warm, gracious and friendly. Ask my son-in-law, Demet from Manila, or my nephew from South Africa that is married to an Argentinian lady living in Israel, my cousin and her Ethiopian husband. Or my wife from Cape Town, RSA. So, please, don't impune my character with vailed RACIST remarks concerning "cultures that are made up of brown skinned people".

I spent about 17 years living outside of the US, by choice. Served in the Armed Forces in RVN. Survived. Have a Veterans Administration card with SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY under my photo. Produce for us yours. By the way, in October 1973, I was with the 147th Armored Brigade of the IDF at Mitla Pass in the Sinai. Lebanon in June of 1982 was quite a trip. Almost got cancelled. Right hand thumb tip is about 2 centimeters shorter than it should.

Getting your Darwin Award... That is when you are voluntarily "cancelled" through an act of your own abject stupidity. You are self nominated... no committee is required. Going to remote places that are inherently hazardous to your biological viability will eminently qualify you in your quest for this voluntary award noting your demise.

In closing.. Go visit Marawi, Mindanao, the southern region of the Philippines that has been marred by Islamic and Communist uprisings for decades. In fact, here's a new picture of beautiful, downtown Marawi. Detroit would look like a brand new Club Med by comparison...

Marawi.JPG

The fact that I could get so many people, so p*ssed off, with such a frugal use of words... refreshing!

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
ncclaymaker u make me feel proud to say i knew right from the start when i seen the star of david IDF i knew i was hearing it from a wise gentleman ......the last tank commander Zeff is still my hero to this very day so are many many friends on nassau street ...i salute u .....by the way i live less then 100 miles from that photo ....am very very sorry if though my commit was toward what u said as negative but it wasnt if i said what i wanted to i be banned from this site in a new york minute so i have to be careful ... i was parking my car at 25 beekman street ( rapid parking garage ) across from the hospital on that morning i was walking over to vesey street u get the picture we both know war zones ,,,,,,once again am sorry,,,,, but remember am on the same side as you never ever forget ,,,,u have a wonderful day and be careful speaking politics here on this site they almost banned me ...

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
by the way wish u luck (wink) with your search on the east river at hell gate remember that revolutionary treasure .........zeff was wounded in action in his m60 tank last seen him in the Bronx in 1988 ...warning never mention usa made m60 to that red hair guy i found out the hard way his uncle (45 west 38th) saved me ...and a big thumbs up

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems as though I started quite a firestorm in several sentences. First of all, please don't compare the murder rate of the US to other counties, since 725,ooo Americans have been demised by firearms from 1965 to present. About 90 per day is our average. Maybe we are trying to be the undisputed champions of violent death by gunshot wounds on the planet, not from conflict. Source: CDC and FBI.

I'm very impressed that you and your neighbors are highly armed. Let's face it - a few probably will end up on the six o'clock news one day. Most of us that have engaged in a war or two have a different view than "chicken hawks" that haven't... but talk like they could.

Thank you for offering up the safety of our cities. But comparing them to the PI is ludicrous at best. Our societies are a totally different. The Philippine people are genuinely warm, gracious and friendly. Ask my son-in-law, Demet from Manila, or my nephew from South Africa that is married to an Argentinian lady living in Israel, my cousin and her Ethiopian husband. Or my wife from Cape Town, RSA. So, please, don't impune my character with vailed RACIST remarks concerning "cultures that are made up of brown skinned people".

I spent about 17 years living outside of the US, by choice. Served in the Armed Forces in RVN. Survived. Have a Veterans Administration card with SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY under my photo. Produce for us yours. By the way, in October 1973, I was with the 147th Armored Brigade of the IDF at Mitla Pass in the Sinai. Lebanon in June of 1982 was quite a trip. Almost got cancelled. Right hand thumb tip is about 2 centimeters shorter than it should.

Getting your Darwin Award... That is when you are voluntarily "cancelled" through an act of your own abject stupidity. You are self nominated... no committee is required. Going to remote places that are inherently hazardous to your biological viability will eminently qualify you in your quest for this voluntary award noting your demise.

In closing.. Go visit Marawi, Mindanao, the southern region of the Philippines that has been marred by Islamic and Communist uprisings for decades. In fact, here's a new picture of beautiful, downtown Marawi. Detroit would look like a brand new Club Med by comparison...

View attachment 1540361

The fact that I could get so many people, so p*ssed off, with such a frugal use of words... refreshing!

As I stated in my post southern Mindanao is the only area I would avoid, hell I advise avoiding Detroit, South Chicago and East St Louis too.

Your death figures in US by guns are skewed, they include all gun deaths including police shootings and suicides by guns.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posts deleted, please remember politics are not allowed in this forum, we have a politics forum found under charter members to discuss or post politics.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Posts deleted, please remember politics are not allowed in this forum, we have a politics forum found under charter members to discuss or post politics.

Ha, it's SO hard not to mix politics at times. When it comes to "freedoms where we can swing the detector safely", haha. But ... you've got to keep the forum civil. Thanx for all your hard work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread