Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Classification"

This is not a trick question.
Was on the phone the other day with a very important person in the gold mining industry. Can't say who, but they build dredges.
I was asking advice about a sluice for a trommel that I am building, I was told that classification is the key to getting the gold. I was told that I should watch a video on a new highbanker because of how good it is. While watching the video I noticed that the material was at least 1" plus going down the sluice. Am I missing something or was someone trying to sell me something.
My question is, can a highbanker with a grizzly out classify a trommel with half inch holes and 4" long? Am I missing something here?

Upvote 0

Sam Burgin

May 10, 2008
Re: "Classification"

Just my opinion Jog, but I cannot imagine any situation where a small piece of gold can compete with 1 inch rock in a sluice. If you split them up, yes, but not in the same sluiceway.

For one inch classification, the trommel gets my vote.

Sam

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not good as any gold/quartzy matrix stuff loses it's specificic gravity edge and keeps on a moving for the next guy to find. 19+ sp gold with any matrix say at 10=29 divided by 2= ADIOS at 14.5---new toyz to entice boyz at xmas and unproven in the long run are just a reality that hypes the new and improved gotta have it crowd-John

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John..
My plan on the trommel is to contain the larger material and go over it with my MD. If it's large enough to stay in then I should be able to detect it. I hope...
I thought you were not a fan of grizzlies on highbankers?

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010

A good Grizz is important for any high bank/trom setup, as for even any panner I guess the Waffle is as important as the grizzley.
And for the gravity concentrators of the fines, I guess "cheese" 'cloth' is as important for the setup.

I'd like to see a river concentrate gold if it had some "wild griz bears" set up along the banks to block the big boys(rocks).

My plan is to persue the path, to go with the river, downstream, where all the good things grow(go).

And in the future only more people will be interested in what you're doing.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only grizzly setup I don't like at all is the dredge setups that are purt' near worthless. They require 2 men to run,move too much material too fast and the 1/2"+ MUST be run or you lose ALL NUGGETS/MATRIX MIX over that size and at todays prices thats throwing away gold worth quite a few $100's a dollars??? The Goldscrew trommel is another example of a grizzly that kills production also. Classification is absolutely imperative to any/ all ops and processing those grades to eliminate gold losses is usually the only way to regain the economically viability of a project. Perfect example was in Alaska with the MONSTER multipounder "Chicken Creek Nugget" that was found whilst plowing under the days trommel run disguard pile and a 1/2 million hunk a chumka burning love woulda been a HUGE loss----John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions