Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure this is the place to post this question but here goes. I saw a program on making money while on vacation. They had sites to visit all over the United States. They had places that you pay to pan or tubs to search for gold or valuable stones. The State of South Carolina was mentioned. Are these just tourist traps or are the legit. I would like to pan for gold where a good chance of gold might be. I never panned before and would like to learn. Help would be appreciated. Burdie

Upvote 0
J

Jaxom

As Tom from Gold fever would say, the very heart of gold prospecting is panning. Learn that and everything else is icing on the cake. I took his recommendation and before went anywhere, I ordered one of those green plastic pans with the traps on the side of it. Once it arrived I smashed up a few bb's and pellets and missed that with some gravels in my back yard, get a concret mixing tub or tupperware tub, fill that with water and start panning. When you can keep all the bb's in the pan without loosing them into the tub, you're on yer way to being a good panner.

FYI, I've never been to one of those pay-to-pan sites, but keep in mind they are a business, they're there to sell you their dirt, not make you money. From what I hear they provide pans, without the traps.

Jaxxx

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If'n your out to make cash back East,keep your day job,and have golden dreams at night. Have a ball with it,quality time with family and loved ones,then you'll be truly rich---and if somea something comes your way great!! When you take your vacation and turn it into your vocation,it loses the shine right quick like-tons a au 2 u 2-John ;D

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
I agree with John,
Making money on vacation by panning in a fee site is like going to vegas and expecting to walk away with the jackpot.. You pay $10.00 for a 5 gallon bucket of dirt and maybe get a gram of gold (Break even)..

I think if on vacation you should go enjoy your time.. If you want to go find minerals join the GPAA and go to claims around where you are going on vacation. The GPAA has a lot of members nationwide, and a lot of claims available for free to it's member (Generally free) except some in the eastern gold belt.

Learn how to prospect, get Dish TV and TIVO Gold Fever, Prospecting America and Buzzardite this is good source of information (a lot of info-mercials about the GPAA too but that is part of how they fund the programs.)

Check out the following websites:

http://www.goldprospectors.org/
They have videos of programs you can purchase.. Also trips you can go on.. Don't expect to earn money unless you plan on prospecting a lot then staking a claim, filing a Plan of Operation, buying a dredge ($2000-10000) and working the claim full time. Enough to buy beans and bread.

it's not the "having" the gold as much as it is the "finding"..

checkout Life Style for Equipment
http://www.lifestylestore.com
Or DredgeHog
http://www.golddredgehog.com/
Tom is a kindred spirit. He works a claim in Oregon while selling items on the web.

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information. I was looking at this as a quick fun thing to do while we were traveling. I am not serious about making money on this trip but would not throw my finds out the window either. Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions