A little Missouri glacial gold...

dpdkld

Jun 28, 2009
Missouri
Here are some of my larger pieces found pokin around the streams in West Central Missouri north of the Missouri river. I know it might be considered pickers or flakes in some states but here I would call these nuggets. The great thing about the glacial gold is it gives good practice on getting the fines so when I make it to real gold country I can have better success!! :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• rsz_gold_002.jpg
    rsz_gold_002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,642
  • rsz_gold_002.jpg
    rsz_gold_002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,876
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe Hoo said:
I am assuming this is a rare find considering the glaciers did not reach that far............ great job! HH :headbang:

700,000 years ago, the glaciers of the second ice age reached as far south as Kansas, Missori being next door could have had glaciers The ice receded again and then crept down a third time, that time as far south as Illinois, again Missouri being bordered by Illinois it could easily have hit Missouri....

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
Treasure_Hunter said:
Joe Hoo said:
I am assuming this is a rare find considering the glaciers did not reach that far............ great job! HH :headbang:

700,000 years ago, the glaciers of the second ice age reached as far south as Kansas, Missori being next door could have had glaciers The ice receded again and then crept down a third time, that time as far south as Illinois, again Missouri being bordered by Illinois it could easily have hit Missouri....

EXACTLY..,. that was pretty much the conclusion i came up with... that was a great find and i am sure theres more..... thanx for the input treasure hunter... HH happy new years

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
dpdkld said:
Here are some of my larger pieces found pokin around the streams in West Central Missouri north of the Missouri river. I know it might be considered pickers or flakes in some states but here I would call these nuggets. The great thing about the glacial gold is it gives good practice on getting the fines so when I make it to real gold country I can have better success!! :icon_thumright:
Shhh! http://www.showmegold.org/.Lots of gold here in MO.Everyone welcome to join our prospector organization.You have found some nice gold there.

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
warsawdaddy said:
dpdkld said:
Shhh! http://www.showmegold.org/.Lots of gold here in MO.Everyone welcome to join our prospector organization.You have found some nice gold there.

Will note this... i am right up the river in centralia illinois....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,677
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,537
OP
OP
dpdkld

dpdkld

Jun 28, 2009
Missouri
Actually the glaciers came down to aprrox the missouri river and at least one or two lobes made it to Topeka Kansas. In general, anything north of Missouri River in Missouri you can find evidence of glaciation. In fact in the Kansas City area the Kansas River was actually an outwash river during the glaciation. I have found that there are alot of till/morain or terminal morain material (heavily erroded) in the Kansas City area. Most streams that have some glacial rock ie metamorphic of which our state does not have (exept around the SE region) will contain at least heavies (limonite, hemitite, magnitite, garnet etc) and many with gold colors. It has taken me 3 years to have an idea what to look for. Its funny but some times the best looking stream/sediments are the worst for color. I have found several streams cutting through very tall bluffs consisting of galcial till (not loess) with many large boulders of quartzites and greenstones but very little to no color nor corse heavies, while others that don't look as good can give me a dozen or more colors and some nice flakes. Go figure I say it for the millionth time...gold is where you find it.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warsawdaddy said:
dpdkld said:

NICE MISSOURI GOLD!!!

I couldn't get your link to work but I found the site, here is a link that will work.

http://www.showmegold.org/main.HTM

Skip

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Rons link to showmegold has to much at the end of it( .lots needs to be removed) glaciers did infact come into Missouri as stated! infact one came all the way into North St.Louis county. thas some big gold for Missouri forsure! congrats to finding it. keep your location secret or youll see lots of people there!

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Know nothing about this topic but common sense tells me if you are finding the gold then the glaciers were there, simple. :icon_scratch:
and very nice gold at that, which gold isn't. :laughing7:

OP
OP
dpdkld

dpdkld

Jun 28, 2009
Missouri
OK I resized the picture and hope it looks better...

Attachments

• rsz_gold_002.jpg
    rsz_gold_002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,875

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
That Good Gold by what I get here in New Mexico. Larger.

We can find about that much in a bucket but it's much smaller.

How much material did you run to find that?

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking Glacial gold.
While working at the KCI airport I found some interesting Redish to Purple Quartzite boulders while cruising around the back roads after work. I compared them to the Quartzite found in Baraboo, WI.
and they look similar in make up but rounded down. That could give you an idea how far the glaciers can move the material. Happy hunting and hope you find your honey hole. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions