IMG_1674.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 5,679
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job Jog :notworthy:
Also that sluice you made is the bomb! :icon_thumleft:

GG~

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Diggin, that is one smooth little unit. How does the sluice box work with that much drop. Not saying anything is wrong, just seems a little steep in the video. :thumbsup:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:
Diggin, that is one smooth little unit. How does the sluice box work with that much drop. Not saying anything is wrong, just seems a little steep in the video. :thumbsup:

Jog's unit, not mine. Just helped get his video posted here. See posts above.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:

GrayCloud
I thought the same thing when I watched it for the first time, I had just done a clean up on the sluice and had just set everything up to shoot the video, the riffles are 3/4" so they work pretty good. I do run the sluice a little steep but I think because of the incline that it's sitting on it makes it look real steep in the video.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Thanks Jog. Like I said, it is a slick little unit. Wish I had one just like it, but following these pipelines just don't allow enough time to prospect. Good Lord willing and two more years down the road, if anybody is looking for me. They are gonna have to get their feet wet to find me. :thumbsup:

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is bad awsome guy, hope it pays for it's self and mucho mucho more. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Gramps

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Gramps you seem know what you are talking about and not one of the braggers. Wouldn't mind breaking bread with you and your on our next trip to the Northwest. :thumbsup:
Who knows, maybe some of that prospecting knowledge will rub off on me. :dontknow:

laxjustin21

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2011
Nampa, ID
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jog - have to say man, very impressed. I just made a sluice box so far, but am liking the design of your trommel the most out of all the diy's out there. I live in Nampa, ID, if you plan on going out anywhere near the border here, I'd be a good shovel man. Also wanted to let you know I will probably be asking you lots of questions in the near future, if you don't mind. Once again, terrific job, welds looked nice too!

-laxjustin21

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GrayCloud,

Actually most all of what I know is from reading and a little common sense, I have yet to find a single speck of the yellow stuff. I have two sluices, a small MacKirk and a keene neither of which have been wet, along with a home made sucker and other bits and pieces, a pan and such. It seems I'm stuck in a corner of Oregon that is gold free, at least that's what my son-in-law says.

I joined the NWMPC but as of yet haven't been to any of the club claims, they are at least 4hrs drive from me. I recently got waylayed by a nasty case of bursitis in my rt. shoulder, my right arm was virtually useless. I finally got the VA to pop me with some cortizone and things are improving.

Earlier this year I went over to John Day, OR to visit me mum, lots of gold country NE of there, but wouldn't ya know it rained just about the whole time. Maybe I need to visit a Witch Doctor or Medicine Man and get a spell to improve my luck.

Gramps

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
laxjustin21 said:
Jog - have to say man, very impressed. I just made a sluice box so far, but am liking the design of your trommel the most out of all the diy's out there. I live in Nampa, ID, if you plan on going out anywhere near the border here, I'd be a good shovel man. Also wanted to let you know I will probably be asking you lots of questions in the near future, if you don't mind. Once again, terrific job, welds looked nice too!

-laxjustin21

I just purchased another Honda engine with the same 2:1 gear reduction and I am just getting ready to build another trommel for a 65+ year old 25 year mining veteran. I will be making a few small changes but the trommel will function the same.
laxjustin21,
About the farthest east I get is the Burnt River canyon. I don't know how far that is from you? If you have questions I will try and awnser them as best I can.
Thanks for the kind words.

CJ73

Nov 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Vary nice job Jog. Any chance of you posting a detailed material list ? and sizes of tubing you used for framing ? I'm sure others would like it as well.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tubing is 1" square and it's a thin wall, I don't remember what the thickness was. I used pretty light weight to keep the weight down. The hopper and the trommel screen is made from 1/8th" steel plate to add strength, also those are the ware areas. all the other metal was cut from I believe 17 gauge sheet metal. A lot of stuff was built from extra that I had just sitting around. One thing I did when I needed a piece of metal plate I went to the local heating and sheet metal shop and purchased their small scraps from there shear. It's a little cheaper that way.
Thanks for looking.
jog

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Been away for awhile as you know, first time I've seen this post.... Damn nice work Jog! :)

One little thing I would add is a small piece of rubber to your outlet as it drops into the sluice, and run it say 12" down the sluice, "floating" on the top of the water as it comes out. This will help burst the aeration going on and help drop your fines out quicker. Look at the Keenes as the jet flare enters the sluice. Easy peasy and should help recovery of fines.

I've got some rough plans drawn up for a 4x8 shaker screen to feed with a Bobcat if your ever interested in taking the next step up and saving your back a bit ;)

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro,
I have been going to do that but just haven't got around to it. I just sent off my Notice of Intent for a claim over east that I have and have been tossing around the idea of building a bigger trommel that I can feed with a small track hoe. I also like the shaker idea but just haven't decided which way to go. Thanks for the input and I may be getting in touch with you about those plans.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Sounds like I better get to work on detailing out those drawings, LOL! Always like helping out go-getters ;)

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I would share this with all of you who have followed my trommel build on this thread and have given me such great feed back over the last few years. Here is a pic of some of my newest machines getting ready for an order headed out of the country. Thanks again for all the great comments & help.

Attachments

• IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 314

KRIKITTS

Sep 19, 2014
STATE OF JEFFERSON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I would share this with all of you who have followed my trommel build on this thread and have given me such great feed back over the last few years. Here is a pic of some of my newest machines getting ready for an order headed out of the country. Thanks again for all the great comments & help.

WOW! Thats coming along way... takes alot to get from concept to production... gotta be a good story here, been a long time since the last post... great work jog!

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm allways looking for a way to build that better mouse trap, I just hope to improve on a long well proven piece of equipment that's been around way longer than I have. I would like to say that the original trommel in this thread is headed to a new home and and is still running with some minor modifications.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread