Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had been searching for a while on gold mining claims for sale. I know many on e-bay are possibly bogus, but I been searching gold bearing states that have claims for sale. A lot of these claims are on federal land, which the seller claims you can pan, sluice, metal detect, high banking, etc.

What is everyone's experiences or opinions on the matter. I know every state is different, but on Federal Forest Land isn't against the law to "dig" and "metal detect" on Federal Land?

There is a particular northern state that is selling a good bit of mining claims, a couple that have not been worked since the late 1800's. Many of the claims for sale supposedly had been worked and gold is still found in the creek beds, gravel banks, etc.

What is the theory here if 10 plus claims in the area to be legit for metal detecting, panning, high banking and sluicing for gold?

Upvote 0

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TheHarleyMan2,

The 1872 Federal Mining Laws allow any CITIZEN of the U.S. to right to explore, locate and extract precious metals on public lands...with certain restrictions.....such as lands widthdrawn from exploration, such as National Parks and Monuments...and lands set aside a nature and animal preserves...and so on.....

Usually, federal lands are open to exploration... to be sure, stop by the US Forest Service Ranger Station for any particular National Forest and ask to speak to the Distric Minerals Officer for any and all exploration restrictions... You'll find more land open than closed....

Back in the day, I would make an apointment with the mineral offericer.. show him/her my plan of operation and describ what my intensions were..and he/her would have write them a check for about $5,000 or so and I could go to work that afternoon..... it is so much different today....

For everything and every situation, there is usually an exception and there maybe a public land mining project that works well with the Federal and Local Governments....

I personally will NEVER...NEVER....NEVER...ever again mine on public lands.... such as National Forest... way too much "big brother" involved... and an ever present authority trying to shut you down with crazy regulations of what you can do and can't do...after suffering through months of red tape to get your plan of operation...or plan of exploration approved...

I once had a property on federal lands...and this was back in the mid 1980's... we were so far out of the reach of the average person, that in 7 years of operating this mine....we had 3 uninvited guests... but each year, the California EPA would come up and check my equipment emissions, dust on the plants along side of the road....we eventually had to invest into a water truck to keep the dust down from landing on the surrounding plants..... which included ways to load the truck and water storage and so on....

For me and my opinion, I'll never mine on public lands again.... But I wish much luck to those who have the energy, funds and time to fight the good fight....and certainly wish everyone a prosperous endever...

Klondike....

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Klondikeike!

I had been wanting to get into panning. etc, but I hadn't had the time the last 2 years. I am wanting to go this year, (SOMEWHERE), and get into it. There is a GPAA club here in Austin, Texas, but the only gold around is Llano area and from what I heard there really isn't much out there. Yeah there has been some color found and it would be a good starting point to learn the hobby. I am looking into other areas as well.

As far as getting high banking, dredges, and actual mining is not something I am ready for yet being I am looking to just get into it, so panning, scouting out is what I am going to have to start out with as well as learning from those who have experience.

Many of the areas I searched on was pretty much creek and river beds, so there really wouldn't be any disturbances on roadways, or land so to speak. I had been seeing more mining claims for sale in the last couple of years and thought, "Ok on the price of the claim that is for sale is one going to get enough to not only cover the price for the claim but also ones worth while?" Then on the other hand I am thinking, "If it is placer gold being found there why is this for sale?" Especially if 1 individual has 8 plus claims already within a general area!

Doesn't make sense with the price of gold today.

Now the thought HAS come to my mind that the Feds made drastic changes and one can't actually do any gold prospecting, metal detecting, or collecting so maybe that could be the real reason they are selling them. Or the claim doesn't produce any gold anymore. Many things come in to play when thinking on it.

1 claim example is 160 acres and the price is $40,000 with 2 creeks/rivers forking into each other in a gorge.

Yeah $40 G's is something outrageous to me but on the other hand, what IS a fair price for a claim? I know it all stems from how much can or could be produced and 160 acres is a lot of territory. I am not going to throw out that kind of funds anytime soon.

However I did see some 20 acres claims for $12,000-$20,000. Like I said it is all about how much could be collected in a specific claim to see which would be worth while.

If I decide to check out a claim I would ask the owner if they wouldn't mind me staying out there for 1 week to check it out for myself to see if I can find anything, if they say no, then I will tell them if they let me then if I found anything I would split it with them.

So I guess research, research, and, more research is what one really has to do when it comes to a claim. I don't mind hard work, I been doing it all my life. I am not married or really have much responsibilities other than the ex-wife debt, kids, and the Army part time so I can pretty much do what I want.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$ for $ and pound for pound you'll never EVER find a better way to mine and move about a cubic foot a earth a second than a current technology metal detector!!!John :icon_sunny:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Harley, like I have said on another post, I am going to be tied up with work for another year hear in Oklahoma. After that I will be ready and plan to prospect for a while. If you find something you fill strong about and we can physically inspect the property (Make sure of no Seeding) and if you don't mind having a partner, then maybe we can make a joint venture. We both have attributes to bring to the table. You and GG are two people I would have no problem teaming up with. The price of the claims you mentioned are not out of touch if proved. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:
Harley, like I have said on another post, I am going to be tied up with work for another year hear in Oklahoma. After that I will be ready and plan to prospect for a while. If you find something you fill strong about and we can physically inspect the property (Make sure of no Seeding) and if you don't mind having a partner, then maybe we can make a joint venture. We both have attributes to bring to the table. You and GG are two people I would have no problem teaming up with. The price of the claims you mentioned are not out of touch if proved. :thumbsup:

Thanks GrayCloud, I am always looking for someone to venture with, 2 eyes and anothers experience is better than one.

send me a PM with your e-mail, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread