How to classify paydirt.

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've classified both wet and dry material, but I prefer to classify dry material because it is lighter and easier to work with. Sometimes though, you do not have a choice (because perhaps the ground is saturated from a recent rainstorm, or you're using dirt from the creek bottom.) If you're using bucket classifiers, the key is (in my opinion) that the better you shake it, the more gold you will yield (unless you are dealing with some clay, which can clump up more when shaking... just separate the clay and 'dissolve' it later on.)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
um...dont listen to the second guy....sorry......if your drywashing because you have to thaen all your material must be bone dry for best recovery. if your gonna pan or sluice the biiges friend on your side is water.the more washing shaking rinsing tumbling mixing the better recovery you will have that placer gold was deposited wet and then dried and flakes stick to rocks and eachother and harden in the mud the only way to realease it them is to give them a good washing...and the hydrodynamic properties of Gold dont come into play without the hydro.......

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
kuger said:
Ummm,sorry third guy,where does it say anything about drywashing???If he was dry washing I dont think the question would be asked as then it wouldnt be drywashing,"No"?
Aside from the dust chocking you out,superior classification is achieved from wet material

Yea,dont listen to me,only been doing this for 30 years......and a lot of that was not as a hobby

Kuger, I may be wrong but I think Pville was counting you as the third guy :dontknow: He seems to favor wet whenever possible (like you).
I'll mind my own business now... :coffee2:
By the way, I also prefer wet whenever possible.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vance in AK said:
kuger said:
Ummm,sorry third guy,where does it say anything about drywashing???If he was dry washing I dont think the question would be asked as then it wouldnt be drywashing,"No"?
Aside from the dust chocking you out,superior classification is achieved from wet material

Yea,dont listen to me,only been doing this for 30 years......and a lot of that was not as a hobby

Kuger, I may be wrong but I think Pville was counting you as the third guy :dontknow: He seems to favor wet whenever possible (like you).
I'll mind my own business now... :coffee2:
By the way, I also prefer wet whenever possible.

Right you are!!Thanks,and sorry Pville.I am just a dumb ole miner,cant even read or count!! :laughing7: :thumbsup:

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, mu50stang, "don't listen" to me I guess! Even though I was only offering my opinion and personal preference, apparently finding out what works best for oneself and the situation is unorthadox and not the booksmart way to go about things. To me, classifying it wet makes sense when the material is caked together, is stuck good on other rocks, moist, or all three. Sometimes I use dirt from the creek bottom and from the bank of the creek, usually I run it wet. But if I'm working in dirt that is dry and not very cohesive, as I often do, or, if I am working in-between dry bedrock fractures/layers, then I usually classify the material it the way it is, dry. I also usually hold the bedrock fractures over my bucket/classifier and tap each one a handful of times with my rock hammer, then put it in the classifier and shake it thoroughly (in case a flake/picker/etc. could have been stuck to it.) I understand washing all material is just another safety precaution, but I do not feel it is neccesary for me to do all of the time (nor do I have the extra time sometimes.) Sure, I've probably lost a few specks floatable gold because I didn't classify wet that day, but it probably wasn't anything worthwhile to me as a recreational prospector, if I had a big mining operation that would be a different story. As I have stated, I classify dry and wet, but it is dependant upon the situation and what I think is the most efficient. That's just my two cents and the way I go about doing things, gees, sorry for having an opinion!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger...on my screen ur the 3rd guy ???not the second guy ;D...and in things mining related......your like the first guy for whome i would zip it and listen to for i am young ,dumb,and fulla........well ur the first guy.. :notworthy:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw Maitland im just bein a smart a$$.....didnt mean to come off so harsh.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pvillehunter said:
Kuger...on my screen ur the 3rd guy ???not the second guy ;D...and in things mining related......your like the first guy for whome i would zip it and listen to for i am young ,dumb,and fulla........well ur the first guy.. :notworthy:

:laughing7:I know,I know,give it to me,I have it coming!!! :tongue3:

OP
OP
M

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks guys, Now I just need to find somewhere too look for gold. Im in Illinois, near chicago and not sure where to look. Anyone know of any places? Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions