Gold Flakes Right On Top of Black Sand

goldenblonde

Mar 11, 2011
:hello2:

So as you can see im excited,I just moved to a location that hasnt been touched for prospecting.Most of the land around me is state owned or privatley owned.I have everything that is needed for possibly gold in the river that flows by my house,Mountains with quartz being flushed into the river,waterfalls(2 of them)clay and black sand,today was the first day I went down to the river and took a good hard look and right away I found gold flakes right on top of the black sand,gold flakes embeded into rocks and rocks with big quartz viens in them,yes its exciting but...not knowing where to exactly look kinda has me wondering if I should go forward and buy tools or whatever to see if there is anythign bigger than flakes,I live in WNY and like I said no one has ever tried looking for gold in this part well..at least legaly lol

(also..river was down today soo all the black sand was brand newwhen i went out to take a look,ill try to add pictures in a bit so you can be the judge)

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Gold Flaked Right On Top of Black Sand

Welcome to T-Net golenblonde. :hello:

I moved your topic to the Gold Prospecting Board as I believe you'll get more specific help here. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
goldenblonde

goldenblonde

Mar 11, 2011

Thanks!learning as I go! I even spelled my user name wrong :tongue3: was suposed to be goldenblonde

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!!!

I hate to be a naysayer but........something about your description worries me.Gold is VERY heavy,and doesnt "sit",on top of anything but maybe bedrock.I dont think you have gold.Is there any history of your area producing gold?

OP
OP
goldenblonde

goldenblonde

Mar 11, 2011
had bad storm last night ,all the sand is new and i went down when the water level went down,I have read that alot of people want to try looking around here (Zoar Valley) and there is a thread on another site saying a guy did find gold.please keep in mind that just this mornign we had water levels way up now its snowing again ugg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,I hope it is but after mining for gold for over 30 years I have never seen what you describe,and I mine in some of the richest ground in the U.S.

OP
OP
goldenblonde

goldenblonde

Mar 11, 2011
Kinda waiting for it to get warmer out im a wimp when it comes to cold,I havent even tried digging anywhere yet have alot of bedrock,and a coulpe of waterfalls with clay along the side of the river and black sand that is fresh

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldenblonde said:
Thanks!learning as I go! I even spelled my user name wrong :tongue3: was suposed to be goldenblonde

Wondered if a d was missing. :D

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
Hi Goldenblonde, I've sniped around the area you're talking about for a few years off and on. There are small amounts of gold in the gorge. I've never seen it sitting on the sand though. I had to work my butt off for what I did get through mostly crevicing and panning. This is what you should be looking for. Happy hunting!

GG

Attachments

• wny gold.jpg
    wny gold.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 9,672
  • wny gold.jpg
    wny gold.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,698

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably Pyrite (fools gold) or Mica. Mica is flaky and very light.

Put up a picture if you can. Welcome to TN!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldgrubber said:
Hi Goldenblonde, I've sniped around the area you're talking about for a few years off and on. There are small amounts of gold in the gorge. I've never seen it sitting on the sand though. I had to work my butt off for what I did get through mostly crevicing and panning. This is what you should be looking for. Happy hunting!

GG

Your Avatar is my wallpaper on my P.C! :laughing7:

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He may have come on a crevice lock of Gold that has come out in the sand , if it is then it will not stay there long when the water come up .

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
I hate to tell you Goldenblonde, but gold will not sit on black sand or any other kind of sand. It's just not possible regardless of the size of gold. I'd bet your looking at mica. Gold is heavier than even black sand and will be under it when it's washed in. good luck

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one sure way to tell what you have, Goldenblonde.

Look at your "gold" through a jeweler's loup or magnifying glass. If it looks crystaline and has a rainbow hue to it, it is pyrite. If it crumbles in your fingernails, it is mica.

Gold will look like tiny melted pieces. It will be obvious under magnification, that it is metal, and not something else.

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold is UNDER black sand deposits? :read2:

I was in a wash once got an x terra 705 new. It went off but this whole spot is black sand and just this giant signal like it was just seeing the black sand. So I passed it by with out digging it.

this spot is RIGHT next to a fault line and there are a couple of abandoned gold mines in this are about a mile north.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...0.004385&t=h&z=19&iwloc=00049f2fa267b0e4204e7
black sand crop.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions