Panning in Iowa

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Just recently I became aware that there is glacial gold to be found here in Iowa. Been metal detecting for a year and now think I'd like to try some recreational gold panning for a change of pace.

The amounts to be found are not great, I know, but we do travel a lot by RV to other parts of the country where gold is more prevalent. So it would be fun to at least practice techniques here, hopefully finding a little color. Then I would not be a total rookie when panning in better gold areas :-\.

I live along the Des Moines River, 90 miles NW of Des Moines IA. Any advice from Iowa gold hunters on where to go would sure be appreciated.

DFIU (aka Dick from IA)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dick from IA

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks Nebraskadad for the link; I've already read most of it and in fact it is part of the reason for my increased interest in Iowa gold hunting.

Doug does have a good site and is knowledgeable about gold prospecting.

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
DFIU said:
Thanks for the links, Nebraska dad; I'll definitely check 'em out.

And, in looking at the Calendar, I see we have something in common.

Happy Birthday JULY 17TH ;D

dfiu HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU TOO!

What part of Iowa are ya in? Let me know if you find color some where!!!!

OP
OP
Dick from IA

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi ND (does not stand for Notre Dame hehe):

Thanks for the birthday wish. I am located in Ft. Dodge IA, 90 miles NW of Des Moines.

Haven't bought any panning equipment yet, but will sometime in the near future. Going to start with just the minimum to get started, then as it progresses I'll probably get hooked on other gold equipment :-\.

My wife supports my MD hobby, but giggles everytime I talk about gold prospecting. Oh Well ;D

DFIU (Dick from IA)

ry1968

Jan 26, 2011
i thought this might be helpful to all you soon to be. Or already prospectors in iowa , as you know the glaciers have pushed through iowa depositing glaciar gold through much of or beautiful state. First off I am part of the GPAA,that is the gold prospectors of america. I urge you if your serious about panning, dredging, or metal detecting, or any other mineral hunting, check the GPAA out. You will be very suprised at the wealth of knowledge you will learn. Not only that, if you are a member of the GPAA, you can prospect on all their claims and keep whatever you find. Alright, lets get to it.I have been panning and highbanking in Iowa for a couple years now, like you I was a green horn if your just starting out that is, not knowing anyone who could teach me how to pan or where to look for gold in Iowa, I had to find all this information out for myself. Believe me , a lot of hours online, and reading maps. Not to mention hands on with the prospectors equipment I have bought over the years. I have found the best place in Iowa for finding flower gold, south of north skunk river, in the Des Moins river by Pella Iowa,about 5 miles below the dam, the overbrush in the summer time is hard to get through, but its well worth it. With my G1 highbanker dredger combo I pulled out of the Des Moins river in one day two little nice pickers. And about $40 in flower gold.This is not average though, as you all know its glaciar gold. So you might hit a nice pocket one day and go a week without finding anything. So its more of a hobby because you will not get rich, but it is awfully fun to find the color in your pan. This is the same with the skunk river. Some days you will find color, and some days not. I have personally went back to the same spot the next day after finding color after a heavy rain, only to find nothing. Thats flower gold for you. It shifts with the current. Being as light as it is. Skunk River about 2 miles outside of Pella,is a really good place, found nice color, but please get permission from the farmers to access their land, and carry out all trash that you brought in.Thank you.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Iowa GPAA: http://www.iagpaa.com/

Located in Malcom Iowa - looks to be about half way between Des Moines and Iowa City on (or close to) I-80.

Look under 'Chapter News' to find it meeting site.

You might consider attending a few meetings (it should be free to attend) and see what you can learn from people who are already finding gold in Iowa.

shawn32671

Jul 4, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone in or near north Iowa? I'm in Charles City and have a few good gold spots to share, id like to find some people to go gold panning with

mhughes013

Oct 10, 2012
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always up for some gold panning. I live about 45 minutes southeast of Des Moines if anyone is ever interested.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

rwilder

Apr 21, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shawn,
We talked last winter, I live in Wisconsin but come to Clarksville and stay for a couple weeks in the State Park south of town on HWY 188. I'm parked at dam on the Shell Rock river, going to check out below the dam for any action. I'm leaving tomorrow. I'm GPAA member and have some mines in Idaho. If want to come over and talk about the "yellow stuff" and maybe team up and go out for day let me know. I can be reached at 920/737-7490.

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be in Cedar Rapids on a business trip in July. Sure would be fun to spend an evening panning with a local who has a spot close by.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread