Gold prospecting in louisiana

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
well from what ive seen comeout of the Mississippi River around here, you may do well at your local sand and gravel plant. ask for permission or ask to buy the contents of the hopper that carries the sands to the piles. theres ususally lots of blacksand in these (atleast there is around here)and youll find fine gold in it. make sure you find a plant that dredges sand from the river or in the old channel.

OP
OP
M

mutt2050

Apr 9, 2011
I am in leesville south west Louisiana. I am right next to the Kasatchie National forest and there are several streams in the area and gravel quarries. I know that thier was flour gold found in parts of Louisiana but those areas are now private property and off limits. There are some areas up around Alexandria in the national forest but they are off limits due to an endangered oyster that is found there. I was hopeing that there may be some areas near where I live and would like to know what would be a good way of prospecting for it. Most of the rivers and streams around here are sand and silt beds. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mutt2050 said:
I am in leesville south west Louisiana. I am right next to the Kasatchie National forest and there are several streams in the area and gravel quarries. I know that thier was flour gold found in parts of Louisiana but those areas are now private property and off limits. There are some areas up around Alexandria in the national forest but they are off limits due to an endangered oyster that is found there. I was hopeing that there may be some areas near where I live and would like to know what would be a good way of prospecting for it. Most of the rivers and streams around here are sand and silt beds. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all.

I was just at Fort Polk this past week and weekend. I was going to try out and locate some areas. I live in Texas but I am planning another trip there at the end of May. Shoot me a PM with your contact number and when I get out that way I will give you a shout and we can go scope out some areas.

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
There was a GPAA chapter in Alexandria. They have been to Jena and found gold in Hemps creek. I don't know if they are still active. I have talked to one member here that has also found gold in Hemps. There is also an old gold mine, north of Alexandria on the way to Shreveport. This was flour gold from what I have read. I would also think there would be gold in the Red River as it drains from the north. There are a few stories of gold found west or south of Leesville. I think this would be closer to the Sabine river and the Texas state line. Do an internet search for more details. I hope this gets you started and good luck !

OP
OP
M

mutt2050

Apr 9, 2011
I contacted the GPAA chapter in Alexandria before and they helped me out with the Louisiana laws on prospecting. The streams and river around Alexandreia are off limits due to the endangered oyster there and Hemps creek is private property and they do not allow anyone to prospect there any more. Thanks for all the help.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
No Gold in Louisiana for you Ole Boys. It all belongs to me. :tongue3:
All of the hill country gravel pits are digging out of ancient river beds. Locate the older abandoned gravel pits and post hole dig under the old wash plants. They older plants were leakers. :thumbsup:

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
There is- but it's hardly worth trying for...
Found this in old gravel bar of mesinene/oligicene era. About 1 full five gallon bucket of concentrate produced 23 specs (80-100 mesh). That was concentrate from some prime bands, slow water work, lots of classification, lots of jet dry, and mucho time... By the way- they are in a contact lens jar and zoomed in on- the pic off TV is magnified 30X I think- and shows even bigger on screen!
LA gold 1.jpg
LA gold 2.jpg
Its gold - and it came from Louisiana!
After doing the math- It would take ---2 years 10 months and two more weeks of 40 hour work weeks to drag up 20,000 of these that would equal 1 ounce.

Agates and arrowheads would be worth more and easier to find...
Good luck if ya go...

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
1more, At that rate, you better hurry up and get started.
Gold is a little bit better in some of the creeks around Jena. Still not going set the world on fire, but if you like prospecting, its there. :thumbsup:

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
GrayCloud said:
At that rate, you better hurry up and get started.

Yep- at least it's good exercise on honing the "fine gold" skills... Next trip to the Arkansas River at Salida CO. should make for easy pickins...

I've also heard of some found around the old army base east from Colfax. Then again all the dirt here came from somewhere else over the last 200 million years- there's probably a spec like that anywhere there is a rounded piece of gravel. Those kinds of spec will never pay for the dredge gas - but I'll go again if the fever strikes and the times available!!!
PEACE

RANGER31

Mar 3, 2011
lousisiana
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have fond gold also here in Louisiana in hemp's creek i put my 5 inch dredge in there dredged all day done pretty good found a little over a penny Wait there. there is better gold futher north of the bridge there has been some nice pickers that has comed out of there along with some nuggets of up to one once.all u got to do is get into the creek and wade it up stream just don't get above the banks then u are trespassing then but as long as u are in the creek u are all good as private property stops at the creek they don't own it. so have fun and find u some gold.

darkone

Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does any one know of any areas in louisiana to prospect for gold and what would be the best ways to prospect for gold in the louisiana area

i have fond gold also here in Louisiana in hemp's creek i put my 5 inch dredge in there dredged all day done pretty good found a little over a penny Wait there. there is better gold futher north of the bridge there has been some nice pickers that has comed out of there along with some nuggets of up to one once.all u got to do is get into the creek and wade it up stream just don't get above the banks then u are trespassing then but as long as u are in the creek u are all good as private property stops at the creek they don't own it. so have fun and find u some gold.

Yep- at least it's good exercise on honing the "fine gold" skills... Next trip to the Arkansas River at Salida CO. should make for easy pickins...

I've also heard of some found around the old army base east from Colfax. Then again all the dirt here came from somewhere else over the last 200 million years- there's probably a spec like that anywhere there is a rounded piece of gravel. Those kinds of spec will never pay for the dredge gas - but I'll go again if the fever strikes and the times available!!!
PEACE

I found some good flour gold in boyce,la at the public boat landing on the beach front but it took a lot of work to get it

Amrfixit

Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Jena and I am new to panning however I am very interested in the concept!
I have panned several creeks and only found a few spec of 200's or so...
I have read and watch many videos and I have built a sluice box around thanks giving and I am currently fabricating a shaker table!
Does anyone have any ideas or tips to provide?

Amrfixit

Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I and from Jena, I have metal detected Hemps last summer but I haven't panned there!
I am thinking of the old gravel plants...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread