paning in the Little River in Oregon

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Have lived in Oregon all my life and don't know where the little river is? Give me a location like a town or area and I'll try to help. Am familiar with most of the old gold mining areas in Oregon.

OP
OP
D

dog501

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I live in Glide, which is 18 miles outside of Roseburg.
dog501

OP
OP
D

dog501

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I live in Glide, which is 18 miles outside of Roseburg.
And just down from the North Umpqua
dog501

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
In that area of the state, you will probably find fine gold, not too many big nuggets. If you are going to dredge, I would recommend a Keene tripple sluice 4 inch dredge. With that size you can move enough material to make it worth your while. Then carefully pan out the concentrates and run it through one of the many fine gold concentraters that are on the market. One trick I used when I was dredgeing years ago was I replaced the standard keene carpet that they put in the sluice box with astro turf. You know the phoney grass looking stuff. It recovered the fine gold much better than the standad carpet. Another good carpet out there for the sluice box is stuff called miners moss and you can probably still buy it. The keene triple sluice does a lot better job of recovering fine gold. Good luck Hope this helps. You never know what you might find if you throw a dredge into the river and start working. Find the biggest boulder in the river and go in on the down stream side and dredge right where the current slows down behind the boulder and you might be surprised what you find. I have found a lot of good gold that way in the past. The same thing holds true for big boulders on the shore. Find the biggest one then figure out how to move it then dig out the dirt under it and you might find some nuggets. Bye Earl.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread