Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO!
Why would you want to punch holes in the bottom so the gold will run out!

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
UST, unfortunately, most gold is very small....I mean REALLY small! Best bet is to spend $6 (+shipping) and get a real gold pan with riffles and everything that'll hold what gold there is to be found in your dirt.

HH, ya'll!
Kajun

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with enamel7 & Kajun.

Most gold is Flower Gold.

You could Probably Pan with the Pie Pan if you were very expierenced.
you can buy Metal pans with smooth sides.
and you could also Bang riffles in it like the chinese did before someone took
the idea from them and made pans with them in.
However a real Pan will work much better.

OP
OP
USTiger

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the advice guys .. i will try my luck firts with the pan as it is and then later buy a real pan..

you have all been very helpfull

USTiger

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
If you are determined to use that pie pan,at least take some course sandpaper and rough it up and try to get some deep scratches in it also.

OP
OP
USTiger

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warsawdaddy said:
If you are determined to use that pie pan,at least take some course sandpaper and rough it up and try to get some deep scratches in it also.

Thanks m8 i will ..

USTiger

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Relax, you can have one of mine when I come up.... I don't use them as often as I should anyways.

OP
OP
USTiger

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i finaly got to go panning at the spot i thought had alittle gold .. WOW was i wrong .. i saw black sand but the amount of black sand was so little that it took a PAN full to get about a fingernail full of black sand in the pan.

No sign of any gold so i better find me another spot. DANM DANM

USTiger

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
"The earth does not easily give up its treasures" (Kajun quote)

Welcome to the wild, unpredictable, frustrating world of gold seeking/prospecting. It can be very discouraging, especially going it alone. Is there a GPAA club near you or maybe someone who has been successful in your area that you can hook up with? I spent a couple of months here in NM trying to find gold on my own and it wasn't until I hooked up with someone who led me around, said "Dig here and fill buckets" and then helped me drywash and panned the stuff that I found my first 2 very small pieces of "wild gold".

I've been reading, studying, planning, plotting and researching for the better part of 6 months now (including buying a Minelab Eureka Gold detector) and I'm about ready to head back into the gold fields here. But am I planning on getting rich or finding the mother lode? Darn right! LOLOL But, realistically, I'm hoping to take my wife and son on a 3 day outing using our 1971 Golden Falcon camping trailer for the 1st time (which I've rebuilt/restored over the last 6 months or so) and have a good time in the outdoors till one of them gets tired and ready to head back to the RV park.

Keep the faith and good luck!

HH, ya'll!
Kajun

P

Pirates Keep

DO NOT put holes in it. Most gold is really small and could fall out any size of a hole. And to make it worse... gold stays at the bottom so theres a very slight chance it will stay in the pan. But then again, if you dont care for the really small grains and only care about the nuggets, go for it! lol.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will have to agree with the others. buy a real pan instead. I like the trinity bowl for panning ( www.trinitybowl.com )

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
UST,

Gold is the heaviest mineral in the stream you want it to sink to the bottom of your pan. Buy a pan from the "lifestylestore.com" or Dredge Hog. You can buy a decent pan for around $10.00 with riffles to wash the light stuff off.

Join the GPAA with the Buzzard Special you get a Gold Pan, snuffer bottle, Claim Guide and panning video. Worth it for many a newbie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions