Help Panning in TN

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
Rutherford County,Tennessee does not have the type of geology usually associated with gold .Rutherford County North Carolina is a different stort altogether.,many large nuggets have been found in that vicinity.

Tennessee gold is usually found from Coker's creek eastward.I have heard several claims of gold being found in the river below Center Hill Dam and in the upper reaches of the Caney Fork River,haven't been able to substantiate it though.

Stay out of areas controlled by the TVA,they can be very paranoid about that sort of activity.

I would try working the crevices in the river bottoms.

I live in Cannon county, about 70 miles SE of Nashville ,I have never been able to find any gold or even tales of gold being found in my area.

hasbeen

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
hasbeen said:
Rutherford County North Carolina is a different stort altogether.,many large nuggets have been found in that vicinity.

hasbeen - I was visiting some of my wife's relatives in Rutherford County last year. I will probably be going back later this year or next. Can you point me to any info about gold in that area? It would be interesting to bring my gold pan to try my luck.

Joe

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
hasbeen - thanks. This is a good start. I love the line on this website that says:

"A geological report mentions that a North Carolina farmer shot deer with golden bullets molded from gold found on his property."

Sounds like gold was so plentiful it was used for day-to-day utilitarian purposes. Gotta love it.

Joe

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
Hi, Im Allen new to this site,and i must say I love this place..As for panning in TN,I live in McMinn county only 30 minutes or so from coker creek,, its a great place to go,gold is small though almost like gold dust,but it all adds up,If you pan this creek a suction bottle and a pair of needle point tweezers are a must.You dont need a permit to pan,but you have to obtain one to use a dredge,Good luck on your prospecting!!

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
Re: Help Panning in TN [better to go to georgia]

i am on a crh trip thru south combined with a visit to the dahlonega ga area. there are 2 mines active therewhere u can pan.i have been to the crisson mine and panned there on a pay per bucket of ore basis.about 6 yrs ago.at that time the fellow there estimated my gold found exceeded my ore expenditures by about 10 bucks.2 days of work for only 10 dollar profit? noooo!!! 2 days of absolute heaven and i made enough for a burger lunch. they had a whole wall of pictures of people w nuggets supposedly found in their pay ore.someone did find a 100 dollar nugget while i was there.this time i go to gold and gem grubbin in cleveland ga.they have a gold area u can pan unlimited for a year for 99 dollars.kinda like gpaa.i tried gpaa one yr but found nuthin. anyone out there been to either of these mines recently any advice? i would say if in music city make some trips to n ga. not too far!

johnboy54

Greenie
Sep 16, 2006
Johnson City TN
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 202
Hey There Fellow Tennesseen Ive Been Working The Streams In Marion NC And Doing Good There Are Several Good Areas Over There To Pan Ive Also Found Some Flakes And Pickers In The Nolichucky River Here In The Eastern Part Of Tn And On The Cherokee National Forest Its There You Just Have To Look For It Around Maryville Near Knoxville Is A Good Area In The Stream Gravels

ronbarrett423

Aug 17, 2007
Just wondering, where on the Noli have you found Gold. Near Erwin? I have never thought to look there do to the Geology.

Thanks
R

army0f0ne007

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2013
I live in Blountville TN... Is there any nearby prospectors who may have any knowledge of areas in te tri.cities that may.be worth sampling...thanks and good picking...

Jul 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Blountville TN... Is there any nearby prospectors who may have any knowledge of areas in te tri.cities that may.be worth sampling...thanks and good picking...

I live in Blountville too. Would love to find a place nearby to hunt. We have gone down to Coker Creek but it's so far away. I found a small flake near the fall creek area, couldn't say if it was copper or gold though.

teresat

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
NW Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are also in Tennessee. We recently went to Dahlonega and visited the Crisson and Gold n Gem Grubbin locations. Found small amounts of gold in their pay for play areas, but we had so much fun that it will be a return visit soon. Like wesmac we are looking for somewhere to pan. We've talked to a few about GPAA, and a few others have recommended Doc Rogers field. We just haven't been able to find time to make the 6 hour drive over there just to talk to folks. If anybody knows a good spot, even if we have to pay a fee or membership, please let us know. We are an older couple, not quite to retirement, but looking for some fun, relaxing weekend adventures. We clean up after ourselves and would not trash or damage any property. We would also like some places to MD. Again we fill our holes and clean up behind ourselves.

Steve and Teresa Taylor
FInley, TN

Lorims401

Dec 26, 2015
Jonesborough
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Johnboy! My names Lori. I'm from Jonesborough. A rock hound but panning for gold has always caught my eye. I have parents that live on several acres of river front on the Nolichucky. Basically at the end of Cherokee rd. Would you think it's worth putting some time into panning that?

Lorims401

Dec 26, 2015
Jonesborough
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Army, I've had many people tell me that above Unicoi off 107, there are some creeks in the higher elevations that they've gotten results when it come to small flakes but I know myself....I've found some brilliant quarts crystals, nice agates and a couple emeralds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread