NEW where to dig thread, check this out PICS INSIDE!

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
Found a promising spot down stream of my last where to dig thread. It's almost a 90 degree bend in the creek and I can access the inside bend easily. The water flows very slow, almost a stand still around the bend. There is a very large gravel deposit in the water and on the bank on the inside bend. I'll attach photos. Where should I start? I was thinking shoveling through the gravel deposit on the bank first and classifying it down then panning it. How deep should I dig if you guys recommend me digging there?

b11f5303.jpg

083a08bf.jpg

0e42e573.jpg

5ea012f3.jpg

As you can tell in the pics, the creek slopes downward towards the outside of the bend and gets pretty deep. Thanks for any and all help. I will be heading out there in the morning so input before then would be great!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Re: NEW where to dig thread, check this out

Anyone??

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
I would start at the upstream part of the gravel bar. Are there any big boudlers in that stream?

Hefty

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Hefty1 said:
I would start at the upstream part of the gravel bar. Are there any big boudlers in that stream?

Hefty

yes, there are big boulders of quartz and bedrock all up and down the stream, in the first pic, you see that rock sticking out of the water? there is probably a 4-5ft wide boulder just beyond that at the bottom of the creek.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not going to find anything sitting at home waiting for others to tell you what to do. They are out looking for gold! That's where you should be! Everybody on this forum with any ability to find gold has gotten out thru trial and error and learned it themselves. No one on here can lead you right to the gold because every place is different. Not trying to sound harsh, just some helpful advise.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
enamel7 said:
You're not going to find anything sitting at home waiting for others to tell you what to do. They are out looking for gold! That's where you should be! Everybody on this forum with any ability to find gold has gotten out thru trial and error and learned it themselves. No one on here can lead you right to the gold because every place is different. Not trying to sound harsh, just some helpful advise.
HH
enamel7

sheesh, thanks....

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Just saying where i would start.
And the downside of any bedrock stickin out or boulders.
Just me.

Hefty

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Hefty1 said:
Just me.

Hefty

thanks! can't wait to get out there tomorrow and do some serious digging. I plan on panning the gravel on top for starts ( we have had some pretty good rain the past few days maybe some slight flooding in the creek moved some new deposits on top) then I'll most likely dig down a few feet and pan and move 3ft to the right then left until maybe the concentration will get greater if there even is any in this spot!

The spot sure looks promising though! Thanks for all the input

shamaalah

Mar 18, 2009
prospectordamon said:
Hefty1 said:
Just me.

Hefty

thanks! can't wait to get out there tomorrow and do some serious digging. I plan on panning the gravel on top for starts ( we have had some pretty good rain the past few days maybe some slight flooding in the creek moved some new deposits on top) then I'll most likely dig down a few feet and pan and move 3ft to the right then left until maybe the concentration will get greater if there even is any in this spot!

The spot sure looks promising though! Thanks for all the input

If your panning then your limited to what can be done. Id just stay on the bank and get at her. Youll get SOME gold at the surface level to 3 ft but the heavier cons will be deeper down to bedrock. look for a bench (old flood path) on both sides of the bend. you might do better there. Personally it took me 2 weeks of sand bank sluicing to get up 1/10th of an oz. Wasnt easy either

IamfromOZ

Mar 26, 2011
When you are digging down, make sure to check for gold under larger rocks as you go. And go for the bedrock!

What state are you in?

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Alabama, just got back found some good bigger color than what I have been finding, panning out my screened gravel now. I'll post pics later tonight with the digging hole and gold found

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dredging

Damon and I dredged his honey hole yesterday. I recognised the area from his pictures. I had scouted this area 2 years ago but did not want to go there alone. It is a local drinking swimming, target practice area. My friends who live in the area say a rough crew lives and hangs out there!! But it is 3-4 miles downstream from one of the well know 1850 placer working in Alabama. That being said , I got there just ahead of him and had the dredge idleing when he walked up. I got at the water's edge below the big rock on the right in his picture. I uncovered several 150 pound rocks and managed to roll them into deeper water. Two wash outs in theat area had some promising gold > no nuggets but a ccouple of pickers and fines. At noon I moved further up srteam to the bottom of some rapids with huge boulders showing. Damon went to the store for some lunch. After 30 minutes, I was head down in 2-3 feet of water when i heard a "crack" . Looked up and Damon was standing downstream looking into the woods. I cut the dedge off and asked him who shot? He did not know . We walked to the truck , looked around , but saw no one. After a little discussion, we decided it was too hot to continue, and if that was a shot we would honor it by getting the hell out!! We split the cons and the gold from the "quick panning" ,loaded up and left. Never saw a vehicle or another person. I plan to go back , if Damon will go, and dredge some more. Who ever was there tolerates the crowd on the weekends , so why not us? Maybe next time I will answer a 22 shot with a 5 round burst from my AK -47!! Then they will know we are "good ole boys "like them.

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Re: Dredging

kilnmaint said:
Damon and I dredged his honey hole yesterday. I recognised the area from his pictures. I had scouted this area 2 years ago but did not want to go there alone. It is a local drinking swimming, target practice area. My friends who live in the area say a rough crew lives and hangs out there!! But it is 3-4 miles downstream from one of the well know 1850 placer working in Alabama. That being said , I got there just ahead of him and had the dredge idleing when he walked up. I got at the water's edge below the big rock on the right in his picture. I uncovered several 150 pound rocks and managed to roll them into deeper water. Two wash outs in theat area had some promising gold > no nuggets but a ccouple of pickers and fines. At noon I moved further up srteam to the bottom of some rapids with huge boulders showing. Damon went to the store for some lunch. After 30 minutes, I was head down in 2-3 feet of water when i heard a "crack" . Looked up and Damon was standing downstream looking into the woods. I cut the dedge off and asked him who shot? He did not know . We walked to the truck , looked around , but saw no one. After a little discussion, we decided it was too hot to continue, and if that was a shot we would honor it by getting the hell out!! We split the cons and the gold from the "quick panning" ,loaded up and left. Never saw a vehicle or another person. I plan to go back , if Damon will go, and dredge some more. Who ever was there tolerates the crowd on the weekends , so why not us? Maybe next time I will answer a 22 shot with a 5 round burst from my AK -47!! Then they will know we are "good ole boys "like them.

I had a blast Mike! I am definitely down to go again and again and again! I think we should concentrate back around our first digging spot. The gold might be higher up on the bank, may have to highbank that stuff! The nuggets could be deeper as well! Good idea on the AK-47! We need to plan another outting when this weather breaks! It was way cool to see Mike's super nice dredge in action! I'm definitely building/buying one now! Thanks again Mike

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i am gonna find me a cheap pump shotgun and cut it down like the old mossbergh riot shotgun put a pistol grip from cheaperthandirt.com and a shoulder sling and a box of 00 thats gonna be my prospectin side kick

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
olepossum said:
i am gonna find me a cheap pump shotgun and cut it down like the old mossbergh riot shotgun put a pistol grip from cheaperthandirt.com and a shoulder sling and a box of 00 thats gonna be my prospectin side kick

Make sure it's atleast 18 inches long! I believe that's the shortest length and by that I mean the barrel. I would use birdshot however, I'm not there to kill, only come out alive! 00 will cut someone in half

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
they dont shoot at me i dont shoot back mainly for snakes but jack a round into the chamber usually changes almost anyones mind

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
olepossum said:
they dont shoot at me i dont shoot back mainly for snakes but jack a round into the chamber usually changes almost anyones mind

you got that right brother!

I keep a .380 pistol on my hip at all times when prospecting as long as I'm not dredging, and its loaded with safety on, in the heat of the moment I ain't got time to be fumbling around trying to pull the slide back, just click safety off and point and shoot.

Lord forbid I ever get in that situation however, but as my father told me " I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" It's me or you and it ain't gonna be me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread