Silver Nugget?

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think this could be silver? I found it metal detecting a wash that use to have several claims around it. There is gold, silver and copper being found in the area. Its not magnetic and its not really heavy for its size but it sure did make the metal detector scream! Found it about 6 inches deep.

Weight:
Gold Nugget: 0.59g
Silver? Nugget: 0.19g

I bought a silver test kit online to be sure but I'm wondering what your thought are.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 2,218
  • DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 2,846
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DesertNuggets

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the reply!

Could be but I'm almost postive its not lead. At first I thought lead but its lighter and has a shine. Could be a melted soda can but I don't know how a melted soda can would get so much texture.

It does bubble when dropped in hydrogen peroxide.

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Lol, you'd be surprised. If aluminum melts in the dirt it can really look naturally formed. I had an old 100 year old mining cabin on my claim that burnt down in a recent forest fire with all kinds of gear inside. I've founded nuggets of aluminum, lead, glass. It even somewhat melted my steel hand cart.

OP
OP
DesertNuggets

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just looked at some of the old lead bullets I've found and it does sort of have the same look as one of the really old ones... :-[

I guess I'll just have to wait for the test kit to be certain.

:::fingers crossed:::

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
I don't know if its my screen or not but it looks a little dark to be aluminum. The weight differerence (if the unknown nuggets is close to the size of the gold nugget) is closer to lead or silver (silver is a little lighter then lead). If it was aluminum it should be lighter, if my math is correct.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a silver nugget about the same size but mine is a bit lighter in color. I don't know if that rules this out as possibly silver, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

OP
OP
DesertNuggets

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys! I will be sure to post an update when the test kit arrives. :icon_thumright:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Since lead is the closest to gold in specific gravity, don't think it is lead. Might be silver. Silver does oxidize over the years to a near black. I would have expected it to be heavier, though.

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Gold weighs 19320 kg/cu.m
Lead weighs 11340 kg/cu.m
Silver weighs 10490 kg/cu.m
Aluminum weighs 2640 kg/cu.m

Lead weighs 58.69% of the weight of gold
Silver weighs 54.29% of the weight of gold
Aluminum weighs 13.66% of the weight of gold

Your unknown nugget weighs .19g
The gold nugget of about the same size weighs .59g
The unknown nugget weighs 32.2% of the weight of the gold nugget.

A bit heavy for aluminum but the unknown nugget does look to be a little bigger then the gold nugget so it could put the % closer to aluminum category.

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
But if the gold nugget is actually larger then the unknown one in volume, then it would put the % closer to silver and lead (gold is very heavy, just a tiny bit larger of a nugget could spread the difference in weight quit a bit).

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Put a drop of Lye on it. Aluminum will boil producing Hydrogen.

It will not mess with silver.

OP
OP
DesertNuggets

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the help guys!

The test kit came today and its not silver... :'(

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to buy a silver test kit , where did you get yours?

Jim555

Oct 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think this could be silver? I found it metal detecting a wash that use to have several claims around it. There is gold, silver and copper being found in the area. Its not magnetic and its not really heavy for its size but it sure did make the metal detector scream! Found it about 6 inches deep.

Weight:
Gold Nugget: 0.59g
Silver? Nugget: 0.19g

I bought a silver test kit online to be sure but I'm wondering what your thought are.

I have found a lot of silver and I am sure thats what you have. Here is the silver ice melt test
FYI all of my silver looks like that dull lead until it's cleaned. They guy in the video cleaned his silver.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you have a torch? Go outside and hit it with some moderate heat...if it ids lead you will know very quick...if it doesn't melt then investigate further.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread