My DIY 15" Trommel Project

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My DIY 15

Trying to see how cheap I can build a decent 15" gold trommel........

Using a drainage pipe 15" inside diameter 4 feet long. cost: FREE from a local excavating Co. *Note: it's smoothwall ( NOT ribbed) on the inside.
I modified an aluminum bakers rack to fit the tube that I picked up at a salvage yard for $20.
The wheels were bought on sale at Harbor Freight for $3.99 ea.
The supports for the wheels were salvaged from a discarded aluminum lawn chair.

Total weight so far: 30lbs. Total cost so far $36

It's a start :icon_sunny:
trommel3.jpg trommel1.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
Upvote 5

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Re: DIY Inexpensive Trommel

good start but instead of the pipe your useing why not PVC pipe and cut out squares and install small screen for classification and slip it inside. cleanout of the drain tube looks like itll be akward.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

russau said:
good start but instead of the pipe your useing why not PVC pipe and cut out squares and install small screen for classification and slip it inside. cleanout of the drain tube looks like itll be akward.

The tube is completely smooth on the inside & only ribbed on the outside for strength, plus the built in channels on the outside are a great place for the wheels to ride and hold the tube in place besides making a good channel for the drive belt to ride :icon_thumleft:

I'm just going to drill 1/2" holes between four of the ribs near one end of the tube for classifying. I will then line the smooth wall inside with 1/2" grid heavy duty hardware cloth (that I found in someones trash) for wear prevention and break up and rotation of any clay based material.

GG~

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009

Nice start man, I love seeing others DIY equipment. The cost for that one sounds great and sure beats retail. I am going to post some pics of the high banker I built soon, and some of the gold it caught.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

Buddy, You figure out how ya gonna turn that thing yet? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GrayCloud said:
Buddy, You figure out how ya gonna turn that thing yet? :icon_scratch:

Ya mean it's gotta turn ??? :o :tongue3:

Well I was planning on using a weed eater motor and a belt :sign13:
If that doesn't work, I may have to put a rubber band on it like the wind up prop on a toy airplane :laughing7:

GG~

Caminochaos

Apr 14, 2010

This is looking good. You might already know this but dont drill through the thick part of the pipe because most of them are hollow in the corregated part. Keep posting.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Caminochaos said:
This is looking good. You might already know this but dont drill through the thick part of the pipe because most of them are hollow in the corregated part. Keep posting.

Thanks Caminochaos :icon_sunny:

Yep I have to drill between the ribs only :icon_thumleft:

I went to the scrap yard today to get sheet metal for fabricating the hopper. Cost: $5

Will add photos of progress tomorrow night.

GG~

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used

Buddy, I am doing my best to catch some squirrels for your new trommel, but I am just not having any luck with the traps. Got a lead on a couple of beavers and the good thing is those ole boys are waterproof. :tongue3:
Just try to finish the thing before I finish my tour here in Tulsa. :thumbsup:

goldgit'r

Apr 18, 2011
Florence S.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goodyguy,I'm building a tromel out of the same pipe you are,only diff instead of drilling holes in pipe,I had expanded metal rolled to fit inside pipe,cut pipe into 2 pieces for ends w/expanded metal for helping hold material in for scrubbing and for classified material to fall out.Yours looks good,how are you going to run sluice?

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldgiter said:
Goodyguy,I'm building a tromel out of the same pipe you are,only diff instead of drilling holes in pipe,I had expanded metal rolled to fit inside pipe,cut pipe into 2 pieces for ends w/expanded metal for helping hold material in for scrubbing and for classified material to fall out.Yours looks good,how are you going to run sluice?

Sounds like you are building yours Angus MacKirk style :icon_thumleft: http://www.angusmackirk.com/ (scroll down)
I will be lining the inside of my tube with 1/2" grid heavy duty hardware cloth for scrubbing plus I may add a couple of cleats for extra tumbling.

My sluice will be out to the side instead of in line underneath.
That way I wont need to build a return trough.

I wanted to do a Mackirk style like you but couldn't find anyone to roll the expanded metal :dontknow:
Anyway I will see how drilling holes in between four of the ribs over the sluice works out. I can always cut the drilled section out to do a MacKirk if I find a way to roll the expanded metal.

GG~

Hopper still under construction similar to Javelina hopper: http://wildboarprospecting.com/ Plus I will be adding a dredge feed attachment to it.

trommel8.jpg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

i was driving down the road here in St.Louis and saw that another gas station is being built near my home and guess what is in their pile of trash to get dumped....one of these black pipes like you used. i just may wander over there and ask about it! not that i need a trommel but if its free, i have most of the other parts needed to build this and probly sell it.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

russau said:
i was driving down the road here in St.Louis and saw that another gas station is being built near my home and guess what is in their pile of trash to get dumped....one of these black pipes like you used. i just may wander over there and ask about it! not that i need a trommel but if its free, i have most of the other parts needed to build this and probly sell it.

If you had to buy the 15" inside dia. dual wall drainage pipe retail it's about $9 a foot and the minimum length is 20 feet.
So I would say go for it :icon_thumleft:

GG~

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

i did go for it! i stopped and asked the job super about it and he pointed out the foreman incharge of the pipeing. they arent done yet but check back in a week or so and ask for ONLY him about it again!i said thanks and ill check back in a week or so! you just cant beat free. i have all of the rest of the parts in my shop!

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

russau said:
i did go for it! i stopped and asked the job super about it and he pointed out the foreman incharge of the pipeing. they arent done yet but check back in a week or so and ask for ONLY him about it again!i said thanks and ill check back in a week or so! you just cant beat free. i have all of the rest of the parts in my shop!

Great! Of course we want photos of your build :icon_thumleft:

I'm adding wheels and making the rear legs do double duty as handles by sliding them into the leg bracket attachments long ways. Hard to describe, will have to show a photo. (they should be completed sometime next week)

GG~

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Made the Legs out of 1-1/4" galvanized steel pipe and added 12" dia. wheels that I took off a discarded yard waste dumpster ....used 3/4" inch pipe for the axle.

Got the pipe for the legs and axle from a scrap yard for $8 and the wheels were free.

Still haven't welded the hopper together and I also need to add the spray bar and motor.

Shows where rear legs will go to make removable handles.
trommel10.jpg

trommel11.jpg

GG~

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Almost Done!

Finished welding and attaching the hopper, added the tailing chute, and installed the spray bar and hose attachment with shutoff valves.

All I need now is for GreyCloud to send me a squirrel or two to rotate the drum :laughing7:

Saved the best for last..... going to try and adapt a gas weed eater motor to use a belt to rotate the drum :tongue3:
I also still need to drill the classifying holes into the drum near the end where I will place my sluice box.
Plus I haven't drilled the spray bar or the hopper spray end cap or glued the system together.

So far I have only spent around $80 for parts. Total weight as of today: 84lbs.
I haven't used the gas powered weed eater for several years after I bought a cordless one. Not even sure if I can get it started. :dontknow:

trommel15.jpg

trommel14.jpg

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Re: My DIY Inexpensive Trommel Project

Even if you have to buy a new drive motor, you are still way ahead money wise compared to a new purchase. How are you going to engage and disengage the drive to the belt? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread