Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Klondike here...

I usually run a commercial gold operations...and have never tried this on a receational level...

I'd like to share somehing with you folks that may help you if you have a lot of heavy black or a lot of magnetic sands...

This works real well in a commercial operation where there is higher volums of water, material and wider sluices... and would probably do okay in a high banker or larger dredge operation, if you choose the right material to work with... You may want to try it..

From a local sign shop, purchase a roll of rubberized magnetic sign material... there are diferent weights of material..(i.e. Thickness). I use the heaviest I can find in my boxes... but for a high banker, probably the lightest would work much better....and a dredge somewhere in between...

I often place a sheet of this material that I cut to sixe that easily fits inside the suice box walls...just below the header box and is attached to the top of the walls right about where the first riffles start or just slightly above that point....and depending on my operation size.. anywhere from a couple of feet up to 4 feet in length down the box...

What this does is slows the water down as it comes from the grizzly or hopper in the case of a high banker... but it it floats enough to allow the material to move down the box...and since it is magnetic.. it will pick up a large amounts of the magnectic sands....which with the slower water... and less black/magnetic sands in the riffles.. you'll capture more fine gold at the top of your box...I've never had a problem with my box becoming magnatized...I think because the magnet source isn't stationary...and when in opeation it is always moving around on top of the water...

Since the magnetic sign material is flexable and is in a constant state of movement while the water and material is runnng under it... what black sands that get atached will sooner or later move down to the end of the sign material and eventually get back into the box.. but you have at least ellimiated the magnetic material from the upper parts of your box...

I have never tried it with a low volume system as a high banker would be.. But I sure wish I knew about this back in the 60's and 70's when I was building my own big 6", 8" and 10" dredges...Back then we just used Big rig mud flaps to slow the water down just below the header box...

Anyway... just a good idea tha works well and hopefully can be modified for the slower and less volume of water of a high banker...

Good luck to all of you and hope for great results when you're gold prospecting and mining...

Klondike..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread