REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...Klondikes Lost Mine....

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...Klondike's Lost Mine....

Klondike here...

I've had a request to start a new topic and maybe post a story once a month or so from some of my past mining experiences....

So here is the first one...it's actually a continuation of the drift mine I started on another post...The name of that mine was:... The Golden Slide Mine, near Downieville, Ca

We had driven in under the Yuba River and were about 400 feet deep into the mountain...when we realized there was an old tunnel above us....we pumped a million gallons of water every 12 hours to keep the river water out of the mine...

Once we had drifted in about 400 feet through solid rock...we raised up into the old 1850 main haulage tunnel that had been hand dug.... there were NO drill marks... Later found out this tunnel was dug from 1850 to 1855...(Until after the Civil War was over, there wasn't much Black Powder on the west coast..so most tunnels prior to 1865 were usually single or double jacked...(A double Jack was where one person held the steel and the second person hit the steel with a sledge hammer...a single jack was just one person doing both jobs...)...for the entire length of the tunnel, there were NO drill marks left in the bedrock...meaning no black powder... the old boys had taken about 3 feet of solid bedrock and about 4 feet of river gravel....a typical and classic 7' X 7' tunnel... At one point we came upon a place where the main tunnel stopped and a tunnel went both right and left... in the floor was a major crack and above the crack in the ceiling, was a bright ..pure... snow white quartz boulder shaped like a cigar and about 20 feet long...Holding the large quartz boulder was a 8 in diameter Cedar Stall ( a Stall is a single pillar used to hold the ceiling or "back" in place...) This stall was hand shaped to fit into the crack in the floor..and hand shaped to match the curve of the large boulder... I broke my knife blade trying to scratch the cedar bark... this stall had turned into stone over the 120 plus years inside that mine.... further on to the left....we found the bedrock coming up and angling up at about a 45 degree angle... This is the original inside rim of the channel before the land slide...This must have been a rich spot here as the bedrock was as clean as a newly washed diner plate for maybe 50 feet and about 15 feet high...and above us and near the top of the tunnel cut ..was a very, very, very large bedrock boulder..maybe the size of a full sized quad cab Dodge pickup...it was huge.. and was riding about 4 inches above the bedrock... with maybe 300 to 400 very small cedar stalls...I mean small..... no more than 1/2 inch thick... some even smaller...and 3 to 4 inches long cedar Stalls holding or suspending this large boulder above the bedrock..and somehow they had cleaned all the dirt out from underneath it and held in place ...... It was one of the most amazing sites I have ever seen of the massive effort to mine gold in a very dangerous place...and the engineering ability to trust such small pieces of sticks to hold such a heavy rock.... we took some samples from various places with the cracks in the bedrock... and then the power went out... we almost lost a few crew members as we were laying down track rail in our main tunnel.... we never reopened the tunnel after that...and the samples were very good indeed... but not worth the risk of such a dangerous mine...

Before the power went out.. we were able to reach the "face" of the left tunnel....the Face is the end of the tunnel.. and there we found several small holes...we called them "Coyote" holes... These were dug by the Chinese miners...after the white miners moved on.... When the mine was operated with Chinese slave labor... they were paid $.25 a day... and were charged 20 cents for room and board..and 4 cents for tool "rental"... Often these Chinese were sent into these small holes, and if there was a cave in.. no attempt to rescue them was done.. just another Chinese miner started another hole... It was pretty bad working conditions....Near the wash plant outside the tunnel...we found a stack of six very old., but in perfect condition, white, with blue pattern of China rice bowls.... plus several coins with square holes in them...

Until next time...

Klondike....

Upvote 0

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...How to use IR photos....

found it, just gotta figure out how to get it to work for my area.... :headbang:

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...How to use IR photos....

Good Question...

You can use just one or all three date sets...

I use just the LAT and LON set... then it will after a pause will take you there... and then you can zoom in from there...

I'm trying to find the actual LOW altitude IR fly by...they are the best..and may not be available on line..I don't know as of yet...so far I can't seem to find the Low altitude.... I used to get mine directly from NASA, at the Moffit field office in SF...but that was a long time ago....

There are some High resolution photos for a small fee available on line...

Klondike...

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here is another site that I believe has similar IR photo mapping as I have used in the past...

If you order, be sure to get the 36 in x 36 in... the best resolution.. and you will be so surprised as to what you will see...once you get the photo in your hands and have time to study it...

http://www.geomart.com/products/aerial/cir.htm

Good luck...

Klondike...

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Klondike here....

For those of you who live in the LA County area of Southern California.. or who can visit the Azusa, CA area.. you may want to visit the East Fork of the San Gabriel River.... I used to go there often... sometimes one weekend after another.....

My knowledge and experience is maybe 35 to 40 years old....and with the government wanting to shut down prospecting all over California.. I would not trust everything I say that you can do today and the rules and laws may have changed a bit in the last 40 years or so....

That being said, this canyon does have some very nice gold in it..... IF YOU ARE WILLING TO WORK FOR IT AND PUT IN THE HARD WORK EFFORT... IT WON'T BE EASY...the gold runs in the .830 to .850 range...if I remember correctly....

There are two areas of interest up in the canyon.... the main river course..which in flood times may run 20 feet deep with water...above the current sand bars... and the high hanging benches... these are what excite me the most about the East Fork....

In the main river course.. you'll mostly find float gold as bedrock is rather deep .. but I sometimes have wished I could get down to bedrock....people used to dredge it a lot and it gets replenished with float gold every year of a hard flood... sometimes the water is 20 feet over the current sand bars...and running hard and fast... it really roars during heavy storms and flash floods...

If you are going after the high hanging benches.. a 1/4 screen is too small... I at times for a change would go there... and not to far from the end or last parking lot... there is a small, 75 foot long rather steep trail up along side an old, but medium sized, twisted cotton wood tree...that leads up to a hanging bench...at the top of the trail, on the right..there is a small tunnel where the old timers drove on top of bed rock....You can also see where they somehow washed the exposed bedrock clean....

During the Great Depression, the east Fork was were the unemployed of the local area worked for themselves and small organized mines for a few dollars...It was a very popular place during that time....

Back in the day..I'd put a pump in the river and run a lay flat hose several hundred feet through a culvert under the road and up the steep trail to the hanging channel...and would shovel into a basic medium sized sluice box.... Over time, I found many nice pieces...

One weekend.. I ran so much water across the sluice, the water over flowed my little pond I had made to capture the water...and it made it's way down the trail to the ditch along side the road...and for several hundred feet down the road... but I found some nice gold....several 1/4 once nuggets...mostly flat and worn...running between .830 and .850 in purity, if I remember correctly..

Sometimes I would screen a few buckets and carry them to the river for a sluicing... and go back for more buckets....and some times, I would carry buckets of water up the trail to the gravel and wash the gravel through my sluice up there on the bench...I ALWAYS found gold working the high benches...ALWAYS!!

It doesn't matter which way you decide to work these high benches... if you do at all.. it is NOT for the faint of heart and you will most certainly get a sturdy and hard work out... you should be in okay and decent shape...but it will be rewarding.. if you put the effort into it and don't give up after a couple of buckets...like what most folks do......

No body said prospecting would be easy...LOL

As you are driving up the canyon...with the river on your right, just before you cross over the river on the bridge...on the left side is a small, but deep V shaped cut filled with hanging channel material... and there is a small turn out there as well... Some one I knew took a few buckets from there and sluiced them at the river and also found some really nice sized nuggets.....

But in the river itself... mostly just float gold and a 1/4 in screening will do great.....but up on the benches.. a 1/2 or so would be much better... When the gold is dirty .. the dirt of the canyon makes it nearly impossible to see ..even on a screen... so use a screen big enough to let nice sized 1/4 ounce nugget through...the 1/2 to 1 ounce nuggets will show up easily on the screen...

There was a time when one could drive all the way up to the Bridge to no where... way up high..maybe 7 or 8 miles, maybe more up stream from the now last turn around and parking area...I think the upper road beyond that parking area washed out in the flood of maybe 1966 or 68....and the State decided not to rebuild the road... However.. if you feel real energetic...spend a couple of days... take a tent, back pack sluice and a bucket and digging tools and a pan.. and ALL the preparations for scorpions, rattle snakes, bears and mountain lions...and walk the road as far as you can... in and over the washed out areas... and at some point..a couple of miles, more or less...you'll get close to the some of the hanging channels... work the gravels near and on bedrock and you'll be surprised what you'll find....

Yes it will be a very hard working effort to accomplish this... but I assure you, it will be worth it...

From the current parking lot and end of the paved road...is a wilderness area.. no mechanical devices or engine or motor powered equipment allowed...you may want to check if there is a permit required to enter the wilderness area for overnight camping...didn't used to be.. but who knows now...

If someone goes there for a prospecting trip... please show us your finds....and if you put the real effort into it.. You will be very much surprised and pleased...

Here is a link to a rather good and informative web site about the east Fork of the San Gabriel River....

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospecting_info/calif/san_gabriel.htm

Plus an extra treat... if you visit the area and are in for a bit of site seeing.. go to the LA County Arboretum just down the road to the east of Azusa...

This is the last plot of land that once belonged to "Lucky" Baldwin.. a man in which everything he touched turned to gold... He once won a gold mine while living in Virginia City, Nevada... during the time when Silver ruled.. once silver dropped.. he open his Southern CA gold mine from the poker game winnings... it is located near the present city of Big Bear, CA.. and took about $20,000,000 in gold from the mine....coupled with his gains he made in the silver mines of Virginia City, NV... made him an extremely wealthy man...

At one time he had 6,000,000 fruit and citrus trees in plant around the are of what is now known as the City of Azusa....and he built a lavish Victorian house, he called it, The Queen Ann's House for his young 16 year old bride, who never stayed in the house and divorced him to moved back to her parents in San Francisco....

The Queen Ann's House and moat are famous movie back drops... The opening of Fantasy Island was filmed there.. with the short guy announcing from the Bell Tower of the House..."Hey Boss... De plane... De plane..."

The moat has had it's share of boat wrecks too...including a great movie, The African Queen, with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.. it was to his only Oscar award...

It is a great place to visit... with it's plants from all over the world...some pretty bizarre... and the Horse and Carriage Barn is beyond description.... The entire plantation...is a great representation of how the really affluent lived during the latter part of the 1800's and early 1900's... it is a treat to see...

Be sure to post any pic's someone may take if they visit the area...especially of the GOLD...!!

Good luck in your East San Gabriel River prospecting...

Klondike...

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...E Fork, San Gabriel River

AWESOME story IKE! wish you had similar stories from the alabama area...

rockhound69

Greenie
Jul 28, 2011
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...E Fork, San Gabriel River

Hello klondike, I'm rockhound, I read
some of your post and was wondering if you had any insightful stories about east fork san gabriel river or piru creek. or big tujunga canyon area? I go quite often to east fork and have been as far as the narrows all the way down to nugget alley, and actually do better the lower I go

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

VERY nice post, Ike. Brings back many memories. I have pics of my son (RIP) at 7 years old...under Swan Rock and further up at The Narrows. Tell me.... back then ('82), there was a small herd of Nelson bighorn sheep up there. They were endangered. Any idea if they are still there or died out? GREAT read! Tnx. TTC

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey rockhound69..... Klondike here...

It depends on what kind of mining/prospecting you want to do... if dredging...panning..sluicing.. stay in the river...

If you want nice nuggets and willing to work for them... go to the high benches..... the one near the last turn around is a good one...

Klondike...

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey TerryC...

I had actually forgot about the Big Horn Sheep... I haven't been in the canyon for a couple of decades or more... but they are one of the reasons a wilderness area was created to help preserve them...

As of current day times... I really do not know if they are still there or not....

Klondike....

rockhound69

Greenie
Jul 28, 2011

Hey klondike, thank you for the insightful tips I am currently hand dredging and sluicing and would like to check out the benches I will re read your comments in trying to get approximant locations something other then flake would be nice to see out of my local canyon I go up there with my son a lot I think the site of actual nuggets coming out of the ground wood secure him being a prospector forever because he likes just getting out into the woods with his dad and he's into running the sluice box and just fishing but it beats the heck out of xbox thanks again is the trail you're talking about here the road to iron mountain at heatonflats campground or after it?

rockhound69

Greenie
Jul 28, 2011

Terry c, I have seen that herd last summer, around swan rock area one of the big males came down to check me and my partner out. Super close like 15feet away kinda freaked me out but their out there still beautiful animals

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

rockhound69 said:
Terry c, I have seen that herd last summer, around swan rock area one of the big males came down to check me and my partner out. Super close like 15feet away kinda freaked me out but their out there still beautiful animals
Rocky,
My son and I were up at the Narrows in '82. We were at one of the larger pools and Scott threw a small rock at the water to splash me. I looked and he shook his fist at me. He thought I was throwing rocks at him. It turned out to be a young sheep, no bigger than a cat.... kicking pebbles off the shelf directly above Scott.... splashing him! Neat! That weekend we found a small amount of color up Allison Gulch. If you go in the spring, you may be lucky enough to see the water falling from above (near the mine), straight down, 30/35 feet. TTC

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the great post Ike.

I live in West Covina and am up the San Gabriel all the time. I have gotten several nice nuggets from the benches above the East Fork, while everybody fights for the scraps along the straights.

If anybody wants to see what San Gabriel River Gold looks like, head over to the New Calgold on Vincent (just a few miles from Azusa Canyon South of I-10). That is where a lot of the prospectors sell their gold. They also have everything and anything you might need in the ways of supplies and equipment. They get most of their stuff from Keene, so it would save you a trip to the West Valley. LOL ............. and no, I am in no way affiliated with the place, but did know Steve Ryland (RIP) when the Old Calgold was in Pasadena. He says Rose gave them permission to use the name.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Klondike here...

Several of you have asked several questions concerning the High benches of the East Fork of the San Gabriel River... through my PM section... so instead of answering each one.. here is an answer for all...

The benches are NOT at the current river level...or at high water level... they are called HIGH benches because they are much higher than the current river...you have to look up the side of the canyon walls......

When you get to the end of the paved road... at the turn around.. look across the river and very slightly up stream.. you'll see a larger gravel deposit a ways up above the river.. that is a high channel.. a hanging channel as they are also called.....and it is at that elevation throughout the lower part of the river you'll find the high channels......

There are several of these hanging channels in the lower part of the river...mostly on the right side of the road as going up stream... seek each one out.. they all give up good nuggets IF YOU PUT THE VALID HARD WORK INTO IT... the nuggets will NOT BE LAYING AROUND TO BE PICKED UP...there are also lots of good fine gold up there as well...but you have to move a good amount of material to find both the fine gold and nuggets...

How you work the channels is up to you.. either work them where they lay or bring the gravels to the river to wash... it's your choice.. either way is hard work... just be careful with walking the trails and stumbling over loose rocks and snakes and such... just be careful.. don't be blinded by gold fever... keep your senses and use LOTS of common sense...and put in the work and you'll find some nice gold....

Good luck to all...post your pic's please...

Klondike...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll head up that way in a few days and take some pics of what you are talking about and post them.

Mike

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gollum said:
I'll head up that way in a few days and take some pics of what you are talking about and post them.

Mike
Mike, I would very much like to see some pics of the San Gabriel! Back in '82, '83, there was a fellow who had a claim up there. He was allowed to ride his dirt bike up there. I was envious! I remember the remnants of an asphalt road up there that was built (I was told) in the '30s. Just goes to show how quickly ( in geological time) that the works of man can revert back to its natural state. "The only thing permanent is change". (I just made that up). TTC

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry,

Back in the 30s, they built that big beautiful bridge, anticipating a nice new road over the San Gabriels. After they finished the bridge, they ran out of money. Now its called the bridge to nowhere. Its still there about six miles up the trail from the parking area by the Ranger Station.

Mike

Attachments

• 758px-Bridge_to_Nowhere(San_Gabriel_Mountains).JPG
    758px-Bridge_to_Nowhere(San_Gabriel_Mountains).JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,493
OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Klondike here...

Many years ago.. I used to frequent the "RED ROCK CANYON" park north of Mojave, CA...on Highway 14.... as you enter the canyon via highway 14..traveling north from Mojave, on the left is a very colorful area of sand stone covered with a redish volcanic basalt cap.. the sand stone has been eroded away as it looks like organ pipes... many..many western movies have used this area for a back drop....

As you leave the park.. where the 4 lane highway becomes a 2 lane road... there used to be a dirt road going off to the right....following that dirt road about 3 miles (4 x4 only) you come to an area where earthquake activity has created a great playground of interesting shapes...namely from the air looks like a giant rake has scoured the land scape... tilting up the lave(basalt) cap over and over again and again....

From the Randsburg city and mining district area, there is another way into this area via Last Chance canyon....although I am not sure of the exact directions from there.. but there used to be a way into this area from that side of the El Paso Mountains...

This area has lots of cemented gravels, good sized nuggets and lots of hard work....

If you can find this area where the lava cap is tilted up over and over.. climb up on top and you can see the remnants of colorful mud post, once had boiling mud, when this area was an active volcanic area... Also you can walk through a geyser chimney.. it is a geologically fascinating area for sure....

If you have a mind to.. bring chisels and heavy hammers and work the lava cap, just below the dirt line at the base.. and you will find gem quality fire opals....very beautiful fire opals.... I held one in my hand that was over 3 inches wide and 2 inches deep...with extremely high quality fire...and once in a while..a nice black fire opal shows up as well....

Keeping an eye out.. you'll find lots of naturally highly polished Apache Tear drops...as well as petrified palm..both the stumps and the palm leaves as well...picture agate.. and many other interesting stuff...and of course.. a gold nugget now and then...and so much more...

Metal detecting should show some nice nuggets....although maybe very wide spread and will take a concentrated and consistant effort.... there is no water, except during monsoonal rains... and this is not a place to be during the rainy season... the dry canyons are very dangerous during the rain storms....

I used to go there often to for fire opal... at one time had a nice collection of fire opal.... some even competing with the Australian fire opal in quality and brilliance....and as a change of pace would do some prospecting too...

If you go there.. be sure to plan ahead of time.. do the research to find how and where to get into the area.....just be prepared for anything...

Attached are a couple of pictures from Red Rock canyon State Park...The last picture shows a little of what Last Chance Canyon looks like.... and a picture of where you may be able to MD for nuggets...

The actual location on Google earth is..LAT 35.418518....LON 117.947010..is where I used to get fire opal.. from GE.. I see some buildings there now.. maybe an operating mine... these where not there when I used to frequent the area....

But.. if you get there... the small wash going through the raised lava caps....l right the Lat and Lon mentioned above...is where you can walk through a geyser...and at the top of the raise cap...the first one above the camp..just before the geyser chimney... I found a nice black opal.. with lots of red fire...it was beautiful...

Good luck and have SAFE fun... happy prospecting....

Attachments

• Ca stove pipes.jpg
    Ca stove pipes.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,230
  • More ca stove pipes.jpg
    More ca stove pipes.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,281
  • red rock state park.jpg
    red rock state park.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,213
  • part of last chance canyon.jpg
    part of last chance canyon.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,269
  • Bonanza trail.... el opaso mtns.jpg
    Bonanza trail.... el opaso mtns.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,199

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...Fire Opal & Gold Nuggets

If I ever do go back to California I will definitely put that on my to-do list :icon_thumleft:
Great info! Fire opals are a sight to behold, especially the black with red fire :icon_sunny:

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions