REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...Klondikes Lost Mine....

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...Klondike's Lost Mine....

Klondike here...

I've had a request to start a new topic and maybe post a story once a month or so from some of my past mining experiences....

So here is the first one...it's actually a continuation of the drift mine I started on another post...The name of that mine was:... The Golden Slide Mine, near Downieville, Ca

We had driven in under the Yuba River and were about 400 feet deep into the mountain...when we realized there was an old tunnel above us....we pumped a million gallons of water every 12 hours to keep the river water out of the mine...

Once we had drifted in about 400 feet through solid rock...we raised up into the old 1850 main haulage tunnel that had been hand dug.... there were NO drill marks... Later found out this tunnel was dug from 1850 to 1855...(Until after the Civil War was over, there wasn't much Black Powder on the west coast..so most tunnels prior to 1865 were usually single or double jacked...(A double Jack was where one person held the steel and the second person hit the steel with a sledge hammer...a single jack was just one person doing both jobs...)...for the entire length of the tunnel, there were NO drill marks left in the bedrock...meaning no black powder... the old boys had taken about 3 feet of solid bedrock and about 4 feet of river gravel....a typical and classic 7' X 7' tunnel... At one point we came upon a place where the main tunnel stopped and a tunnel went both right and left... in the floor was a major crack and above the crack in the ceiling, was a bright ..pure... snow white quartz boulder shaped like a cigar and about 20 feet long...Holding the large quartz boulder was a 8 in diameter Cedar Stall ( a Stall is a single pillar used to hold the ceiling or "back" in place...) This stall was hand shaped to fit into the crack in the floor..and hand shaped to match the curve of the large boulder... I broke my knife blade trying to scratch the cedar bark... this stall had turned into stone over the 120 plus years inside that mine.... further on to the left....we found the bedrock coming up and angling up at about a 45 degree angle... This is the original inside rim of the channel before the land slide...This must have been a rich spot here as the bedrock was as clean as a newly washed diner plate for maybe 50 feet and about 15 feet high...and above us and near the top of the tunnel cut ..was a very, very, very large bedrock boulder..maybe the size of a full sized quad cab Dodge pickup...it was huge.. and was riding about 4 inches above the bedrock... with maybe 300 to 400 very small cedar stalls...I mean small..... no more than 1/2 inch thick... some even smaller...and 3 to 4 inches long cedar Stalls holding or suspending this large boulder above the bedrock..and somehow they had cleaned all the dirt out from underneath it and held in place ...... It was one of the most amazing sites I have ever seen of the massive effort to mine gold in a very dangerous place...and the engineering ability to trust such small pieces of sticks to hold such a heavy rock.... we took some samples from various places with the cracks in the bedrock... and then the power went out... we almost lost a few crew members as we were laying down track rail in our main tunnel.... we never reopened the tunnel after that...and the samples were very good indeed... but not worth the risk of such a dangerous mine...

Before the power went out.. we were able to reach the "face" of the left tunnel....the Face is the end of the tunnel.. and there we found several small holes...we called them "Coyote" holes... These were dug by the Chinese miners...after the white miners moved on.... When the mine was operated with Chinese slave labor... they were paid $.25 a day... and were charged 20 cents for room and board..and 4 cents for tool "rental"... Often these Chinese were sent into these small holes, and if there was a cave in.. no attempt to rescue them was done.. just another Chinese miner started another hole... It was pretty bad working conditions....Near the wash plant outside the tunnel...we found a stack of six very old., but in perfect condition, white, with blue pattern of China rice bowls.... plus several coins with square holes in them...

Until next time...

Klondike....

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES....FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...Nuggets coated black...

Astrobouncer said:
Great stories as always, Klondikeike, thanks! I have heard the black coating is usually manganese oxide.

Thanks Astrobouncer :icon_thumleft:
Your video led me to this story about pegleg's black gold: http://www.desertusa.com/magdec97/gold/pegleg2.html

Psst. SHhhhhhh........ a nugget for you guy's....here is a link to all the Desert issues from 1937 until 1993 on pdf:
http://dezertmagazine.com/old-desert-magazine

*You can blow up page 10 Nov 1946 to see what area pegleg's lost mine is in. (story starts on page 8. )

GG~

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES....FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...Nuggets coated black...

Thanks...Astrobouncer,

Nice video...thanks a lot for sharing........

The nuggets I found were EBONY black... no gold showing at all....I really thought they were just HOT rocks.... but from my earlier experience on the Scott... several years before..... I took a much closer look and found many of them were actually small gold pickers...

Klondike...

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Enjoying your stories Klondike!
Attached is a neat pic of some black gold I saw:

Attachments

• crystal.JPG
    crystal.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,883
OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Bug...

Very nice looking gold.. looks real course and rough..

Very nice..

Klondike...

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

Nice nuggets there Ike. :thumbsup:

Buddy, Thanks for the Desert Mag Link. Great site. :thumbsup:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hola gentlemen: Klondike your mention of Grass valley and the Idaho-Maryland mine brings back many memories. I was raised partially in Grass Valley. I played in the creek which was also fed by the tailings drain off from the mine. it was milky white, and who knows the cyanide count, but it didn't kill me or any other of the kids..

We lived in the three story wooden house on your right next to the creek going from Grass Valley to Nevada city., you entered at the street level to the middle floor.

My father worked at the mine, but became the brake man on the narow guage RR between grass Valley and Nevada city. His brother , my uncle Homer, was the hoist foreman.

Lots of stories on mines, placers etc. if interested, but in Mexico.. Mostly above ground.

I D J I T S one and all just think, this was added to the Genetics pool. no wonder ----- sniff

I wasn't so du --, Superman hadn't been born yet. but I did get my hand skewered playing the Bengal Lancers.

Of course my father beat me hands down. He was born in Rough & Ready Calif, the heart of the Mother lode country. Rough and Ready was famous for a brief period. They formally succeeded from the union and were setting up a defensive system, but it was called off when Sacramento, the capital, sent up a couple of barrels of beer.

In those days abandoned Log cabins, small prospectors camps, and small mining operations were everywhere. almost all had powder deposits left over which had also been abandoned. So, horrors, the kiddies had blackpowder and dynamite galore to play with. Today's do gooders would have had a heart attack watching those poor, innocent little B-------ds playing freely with guns and explosives heehheeh.

At that time between Nevada city and Grass Valley they had constructed a narrow gauge Rail road. With all of the mining equipment etc. available, it was only a matter of time before the innocent childish imaginations decided on constructing a cannon and blowing out the windows of the coach car, which was always at the end.

Pipe and fittings served well as the basic cannon and an old ore cart the platform. The big day came, the canon was loaded with a double hand full of black powder, then old worn out ball mill balls. Everything was set up for the big show.

The range was about 200 meters. They waited patiently for the train, which as usual was late. It finally came a huffing and puffing around the curve into view. My father, since he was huge, even by those days standards (6''6"), assumed command and held the burning ignition cord for lighting the fuse ready. The fireing officer yelled "now" so my father ignited the cannon.

It promply did a flip flop and recoiled about 12 ft back into the bushes while everyone shielded their eyes to see the windows break. NO way !! the area was covered with thick white smoke, nothing could be seen, not even each other. When it finally cleared enough to see , all they could see was the little engine happily puffing on it way, no windows were broken.

They tried again the next day with the same results, so fortunately gave up the idea as a bad one. Being kiddies they hadn't figured in the deflection needed to pre aim the canon at the front of the moving train, but had aimed directly at the coach, a clean miss.

Grass valley is built on the side of a hill, many of the streets are very steep, especially North Main st. Some how they managed to get a solid main driver wheels of one of the locomotives to the top of that street when they aligned with the bottom, then turned it loose.

Things went fairly well for most of the first block, then it commenced to go though the buildings themselves, it finally emerged again at the bottom of the hill after, passing through no one knows how many houses to promptly run into a parked automobile. For some strange reason no kiddies were to be seen?

Halloween was special, little brains had been planing for a year, One of the best was reserved for mean personnel,and their outhouse. They slid a 1/4 stick of 40% dynamite down into the fragrant depths, with a long fuse to the outside. They would wait patiently until mr meanie entered the out house to check the sears catalogue on feminine intiminate wear, they would then quickly jam the door shut and light the fuse. I leave the rest to your imagination.

I claim that modern kiddies are too protected for their normal development and imagination.

I had tons of blackmail materiel which came into use quite often.

Don Jose de La Mnacha

Don Jose de la Mancha hheeh

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great stories Don Jose...

As far as the abandoned log cabins... I am trying to find my OLD pictures of a log cabin in the Sierra's built by Randolph Hurst father.. Randolph Hurst was eventually to become the great newspaper family from San Francisco... and the more infamous "Hurst Castle" along the California Coast... If I can find my old pictures.. I'll post them on here...

On one of the mines we faced off.... trying to find the break out of the high channel.... and above a small old hydraulic works.... were several old cabins... the forest service came a long and burned most of them down ..saying that drug deals went down in them...but they never burned this one....I guess because it was on patented property....it was such a shame that the FS could act so badly and wipe out such historical structures on public lands without any public input.... they just did it...

It is rumored hat Randolph was born in that cabin... just before his dad took the family to SF along with all the wealth he has accumulated from building ditches for water supplying the hydraulic works in various places..as well as his own gold assets from mining the upper channels..

On one of my mining ventures in the area, we had to track down the descendants of the people old man Hurst had sold the ditches too.. to get permission to break the dick open so we could mine the primary channel behind it... The ditches and 8 feet on each side had been patented for about 12 miles clear back to the water source..a small creek...back in the early 1900's as part of the patenting the hydraulic operation... so we had to get permission from the patent owner to remove the ditch as part of the mining process... the hand full of nuggets posted above came from this channel...

As an interesting note... this old ditch we had to cross was called in the patented...the Red Creek Ditch..built by Hurst and Hastings Ditch Company..... we all know who Hurt was.. and it is believed that this Hastings is a decentant of the same one who sold the Mormon's a short cut through the Sierra's...

If the old cabins and hills could talk... what a story they would tell...I'm sure...

Klondike...

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES....FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...Changing Oil and Bla

I guess it was around 1989 or so.. and was setting up a commercial mine on a high Sierra Channel... had 5 guys working for me and were running some pretty good gravel... I went out and brought in a 115,000 pound excavator to handle the large boulders...after a few hundred hours of operating, we would change the oil... and usually did it at the end of a work day... I stand 5' 6 and could walk under the excavator motor area without bending over...this was a huge machine... anyway.. I had my four 5 gal plastic buckets ready to catch the oil as it drained from the oil pan of the huge Deutz V 12 engine... and as each one of the buckets reached near being filled... I would trade out an empty for the full bucket.... On the last bucket.. I made sure it wouldn't overfill and went home for the evening.....to allow the engine to completely drain of all possible oil...

Returning the next morning, with the necessary new engine oil... I screwed in the drain plug and tightened it and as I was coming out from under the excavator... it occurred to me that all my 5 gal buckets were missing.... they were gone.... several thoughts went through my head trying to figure out what had happened...

As I walked around the excavator to the other side.... there were all of my buckets..empty of oil... and looking around I realized the ferns were smooth, dust free and very shiny... further looking it was apparent the ferns were coated with a thin film of oil.... and the buckets all had teeth marks in them ... putting 2 and 2 together... a bear had come by the excavator and tried to drink the oil.. Yes, bears are fond of liquid petroleum products....and I had forgot about that...and it seemed he emptied all the buckets trying to drink the oil as there was very little oil on the ground...with a lot on the ferns..

Further study of the area, I found a 10 inch diameter pine tree.. where the bear had stood up... and about 6 feet high on the tree...the bear had slapped or rubbed his nose several times on the tree, leaving a large 8 inch oily and snotty mark, with emphases on the snot dripping down the bark.... along with his claws ripping the bark from the back of the tree,. deep into the meat of the tree...around from the back to just short of the oil and snot mark....

Then about 30 yards down hill... towards the creek.. there was another tree with the same markings... and it kept going every 30 yards or so all the way down to the creek... about a 1000 feet to the creek....along with a shiny trail on the ferns around the trees all the way to the creek....

I felt really bad for the bear and kept a look out for it to make sure he was alright.. never saw him again..but saw several tracks over the years after that day...some matching the size and shape of the ones left around excavator...and this one had one damaged or deformed claw on his right front paw....

For the sake of the bears... please keep your liquid petroleum products protected and out of reach of the bears...

Klondike...

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...Changing Oil and Bears

Thanks for the stories Ike, love reading them. I had no idea bears had such an affinity for fuel, will keep that in mind for the future it might save me some headaches.

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...Changing Oil and Bears

Yep, I learned that the hard way. I had all this sitting in a 5 gallon bucket. I guess he liked the oil so much he pretty much left the rest of my dredge alone.

S6300460.jpg

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Klondike here again........ speaking of bears...

At one time I and my investors had about 500 acres under development .... the property consisted for a hanging Primary channel on the east side of a ridge.... it was in a horseshoe shape and about 3/4 of a mile long.... where it came from or went to during the time it was running... no one can tell....On the other side of the ridge, my foreman and I had found some smooth river worn rocks scattered about on the west side....

One day in mid September, I walked one of the excavators over to the west side from the east side to explore the area and try to find the breakout ... we could see several good sized round rocks, but no in place river channel as the west side had a thick blanket of volcanic Andesite dust covering the area.....this Andesite appeared different than most others I have seen, which is usually a fine grained volcanic intrusive...but felt confident there was a breakout behind the layer of Andesite....Later I was proved right as we took 5 pounds of gold from 1200 yards of Secondary channel gravel before we lost the channel due to a fault line and the channel disappeared...

It was a 1 1/2 mile trip from the east to the west via a good maintained county road... the road from east dead ended into the main dirt road coming from town and going up the west side of the ridge.... as I entered the intersection a rather large black bear appeared ...as he stood up looking above a hedge row of Choke Cherry Bushes...a favorite of the local bears...

These berry bushes were on top of a small embankment that formed the most western boundary of the main road.......

As I entered the intersection.... and saw the bear..he and locked eyes...as my position in the cab of the excavator were equal in height to the bears position and height...AND THE BEAR NEVER MOVED.....

I turned the boom to the right to avoid hitting the bear as he was not moving as I entered the intersection wit the excavator...... and I turned the excavator so now I am parallel with the bear... he looking at me as he stood up and stayed up...and I looking at him through the side door of the excavator...and at a distance of maybe 20 to 25 feet....

I thumped the bucket on the ground... no response from the bear..his eyes were locked right on me..burning a hole right through me....

I ran the RPM's of the engine up and down...no response from the bear...

I pulled the crowder arm up to the boom...and rotated the boom to the left across the top of the berry bushes....and the bear stood his ground..when at the last minute..he dropped down..CRAB WALKED SIDEWAYS...a few steps to avoid the boom....and when I turned the boom back away from him.. he took a couple more crab walk steps.. stopped..locked eyes with me and violently shook all over.. keeping his eyes locked on to mine...we just stared at each other for some time...

I stood up in the excavator...stuck my head and upper body out of the door...holding on to the hand holds inside and above the side door... and for a bit..maybe 1 minute or so...we just started at each other....we're now about 30 feet apart and right at eye level to each other...

So I began to bark loudly ...deeply..like a larger dog would bark.... and instantly, the bear turned around...all I saw was the jelly butt of a fat bear high tailing into the woods... and out of sight...

I found it amazing and humorous that the bear wasn't afraid of the noisy and dusty machine and certainly odd looking thing that didn't bring any fear out in him at all......but as soon as the weird, dusty and noisy looking dog started barking... the bear decided to make tracks....and as fast as he could.....he'd never seen a odd looking dog like this one before.....

This particular bear was a Black Bear.... but his fur was mostly black and some white.... especially around the face and chest...not a blond color.... but white as white can be.....at first I wondered if i had somehow found a Panda Bear... LOL... and he had a huge head...attached to a huge body.... he was a rather large bear as far as Black Bears sizes go....

Be careful out there prospecting....enjoy the times and good situations you encounter...somethings you'll only see once in a life time...

Good prospecting to all.....

Klondike....

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...Speaking of Bears...lol..

klondike as always enjoy the read

Oragon thanks for posting the picture, seeing the plastic oil bottle brings up memories
i always thought i forgot to bring a can of oil in, thinking i was losing my mine " I know i brought one in, why would they (thinking people did this) steal just the oil"
rather then dredge, i went crevicing thats when i came across the oil can only had a maybe a dozen teeth marks, but one hole was about the size of a 30 cal
now everything goes into a mini-gangbox i made out of Alum and welded together :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...Speaking of Bears...lol..

I hear they like beer too............. :occasion14:

BeerDrinkingBear-01.jpg

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GG...

That's GREAT!!! : :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

You don't want to mess with bears, especially when there trying to relax after a long day of work :tongue3:

pb-110608-hot-tub-Bear-eg-03photoblog900.jpg

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009

Great post as always, enjoyed the read. What do you think about vegetation as a guide to mineralization? I know we have talked about that some in the past here, but I wanted to see if you have any first hand experience with that.

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES... How to IR photos....

Great question, Astrobouncer...

Vegetation is a HUGE key to finding buried channels... or high hanging channels above a present day river, or creek...

Back in around 1982 or 83.. I went to Alaska.. took three other guys with me and we spent 8 weeks in the bush.... we were on a creek north of Soloman, near Nome, AK

We took a 3 wheel "Big Red" ATV... built a 4 ft X 8 ft and 4 ft high single axle trailer....

Before we built the sides and top of the trailer... we found a really nice small import 4 cylinder gas engine at a yard sale... bought new a Berkley 5 X 4 with 5 in suction hose and foot valve....

We purchased a used COUPLE JET venturi power jet.... ( for those who haven't heard of COUPLE JET, who went out of business many years ago...this jet has a 360 degree adjustable "carburetor"... this jet does NOT require being submerged in water like a typical Venturi does to operate well...)... East of Nome, on the beach.... I had the Couple jet 8 feet in the air..and used it like a vaccum sucking sand and sea water up... in 1 week, took 8 ounces of gold off the beach.. gold so small and fine... it could be used as makeup powder...The couple Jet was the finest power jet ever made...

We mounted the engine and pump through a transmission to the trailer..... then built the sides and top.. before putting the top on.. we built small shelves and hooks for the inside walls....for the sluice boxes, stands and tool and hoes and ..you get the idea...

We stored EVERYTHING pertaining to our mining trip inside and around the engine an pump...leaving room for the "Big Red" ATV...
So now we have everything inside, water tight and stored away.

Then hooked the trailer up to a 1/2 ton pickup and drove from the Riverside area of So Cal to Seattle... where we met the folks at Flying Tiger Air Freight.... they picked the trailer up with a fork lift and we took the axle off.. stored inside the trailer... and they loaded it up into their air transport....

We fly up to Nome the next day..and our "Trailer Box" ... was waiting for us... Used another fork lift.. unloaded the ATV and the axle... and hooked the trailer to the ATV and off to the mine location... a 10 plus hour drive by road and across the tundra... which is a whole story in itself.... lol

But lets go back to the beginning....

These are good practices to put into place when you are venturing into a new area for yourself...

When I first started looking at going to Alaska.... I went to several Universities...(remember, there wasn't an Internet back then)...and using there Libraries, read and copied a lot of USGS reports on the various areas I wanted to prospect... You'll find that the USGS started doing these reports, depending on the area in the late 1800's almost yearly up to the beginning of WWII (1942)....These reports were made by geologist hired by the US Government to report on the natural resources of various states and territories...and the organized work being done at each creak and river and so forth...one can glean a lot of good information from these reports...keep in mind these reports were made when most of the work being done in the gold fields was of the hand work variety...

Back then we didn't have Google Earth... and while Google Earth is good, it still isn't enough..... I took a trip to Moffit Field near San Francisco, California and met a fellow who I had made an appointment with to visit his office.... there I found a complete library of U2, low altitude (10,000 to 25,000 feet) Infra Red fly by photos cover ALL of the US....and I mean ALL of the US....

We found the areas I wanted to prospect....and purchased 2 color IR photos (different altitudes) and 1 Black and White IR photos..... each taken at different times of the year and each at a different years...

Comparing each photo.. which each is 3 ft by 3 ft in size.... I was able to see EVERY buried channel and hanging benches on the outside curves of the creeks we wanted to prospect...

Why is this important..? Because gold accumulates best on the inside of a curve...and since these hanging channels and benches are up hill from the current river, usually on the outside curve...... as each one of the benches erodes...the gold continues accumulate on the next down stream inside curve of the current river.. thereby enriching the current gold source of the current river.... So even if you were not going to work the up hill hanging channels... this IR vegetation information will give you a great place to start your prospecting on the current river....

JUST BECAUSE THERE IS AN OUTSIDE BEND..DOES NOT MEAN THERE ARE HANGING CHANNELS ABOVE EACH OUTSIDE BEND... this is why you need to see the IR photos...to eliminate the inside curves you may not want to work initially...there may be good gold on any inside bend... but the better gold will be where there may be an eroding up hill channel at the next up stream outside bend, where the river once ran before working it's way to there it is now...

Why Infra Red?... Infra red shows HEAT.. and vegetation gives off HEAT....and therefore you can EASILY see each hanging bench or channel by the outline shape and density of the vegetation that shows up on the IR Photo... In an IR photo.. more of the deep RED color.. more well watered and healthy vegetation... and these old hanging channels, because of their gravel make up, hold water much better than the surround surface dirt and base rocks...therefore the vegetation shows up best in IR and is very easy to see it in an IR Photo..

On the ground you cannot see these channel or where it is hidden... but from the air.. with IR .. they stick out like a sore thumb...

At one location we found 5 hanging benches above the current river..... which means.. if there are only 3 hanging benches on other river bends... but there are 5 at another bend...which one of the current bends would be the best place to start prospecting..? The one with only 3..since 2 of then have most likely already eroded into the current river...thus the next down stream inside bend would be a good place to start...

With IR, it doesn't make a difference if the vegetation made up of pine trees or sage brush... if there is a channel... the vegetation will clearly show where the river once ran..leaving behind a high or hanging channel...

So YES.... Vegetation can be a very important clue to finding "Virgin" ground to work...

Below is a pic of a classic look at where a river once ran and where it is today...

Happy research and prosperous prospecting to all...

Klondike...

Attachments

• Alaska River near Nome.jpg
    Alaska River near Nome.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,819

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...How to use IR photos....

Ike you need to set up a class and teach Prospecting 101. Great info for sure. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Klondikeike

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: REAL GOLD MINING STORIES...FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES...How to use IR photos....

Thanks..GC...

Here is a link to the USGS site where you can down load IR for FREE.... yes for FREE....This is a different IR program in which I used in AK.. and has a different color scheme... it isn't the easiest site to use, like most Government site seem to be poorly built and not user friendly..but it is a good site for some quick reference info... But the best is to get the actual 3ft x 3ft photo in front of you where you can really see all the detail you need ....

http://edcsns17.cr.usgs.gov/NewEarthExplorer/

Thanks again for your kind comments....

Klondike....

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used

Already got it saved to my Prospecting Favorites. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread