Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Yea Right :tongue3: This will fly :laughing9:

Fish and Game looking for volunteer cops
By Matt Weiser
[email protected] The Sacramento Bee
Published: Wednesday, Jul. 20, 2011 - 2:25 pm
The California Department of Fish and Game is recruiting cops who want to volunteer to help protect the environment.

The new Reserve Peace Officer Program aims to partner game wardens with "conventional" law officers from city police departments, county sheriff's offices and the like who want to help catch poachers, polluters and other environmental criminals. Volunteers can be either retirees or still on the job with their local agency.

Game wardens patrol remote areas, usually alone. The force has been depleted by years of budget cuts, leaving each game warden with more to do.

Nancy Foley, the department's law enforcement chief, said volunteers will serve as a backup in a warden's vehicle as extra eyes and ears. They will wear a badge but work unpaid and will not have all the same law enforcement powers of a game warden.

"They're not going to take the place of another game warden," said Foley. "All they're going to do is make the game wardens we have a little bit safer."

Foley said the first volunteers -- three retired game wardens -- are expected to start this week.

A similar program existed in the early 1990s but was shelved because the volunteers were not certified law enforcement officers.

Candidates must pass a background check, medical and psychological evaluation, and a pre-employment physical that includes a swim test. Reserve officers may also have to complete a 40-hour field training on natural resource management and fish and game laws.

Hefty

Upvote 0

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey hefty
i'm surprised it did not come out sooner
class of 20 or 30 gezzer's graduated or completed training already. on the news about three weeks ago, I think
all i can say is keep a camcorder close by and do a shoot before, during and after . i did this camcorder record in 06 or 07 after a long talk with the new DFG guy who came down the steep bank to see my pink slip, told him it was in the RV which was down the road, in all the years never had I been asked, what can ya expect from a new guy the old DFG guy knew it was always posted on the drivers window

half way through the season i ran into him again hking to my dredge DFG" oh, your the guy taking pictures of your operation" YUP didn't have much to say LOL

hefty, great job on some of your post

OP
OP
H

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
:icon_thumleft: Thanks 2cmorau

Yea if they send those old gizzers up to my claim, they might have a heart attack on the way :dontknow:

Hefty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread