Jan 27, 2010
Upvote 3

Gold Cube

Feb 20, 2011
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Re: Anyone ever head of "Duke's Short Course in Prospecting?"

Neat story, Somtimes it is good to be brought back to a happy time. Did you get a picture you could show us?

Mike

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a

I have a friend who is an absolute garage sale addict. He picked up a wooden box full of old chemicals, vials, books, etc. We've called it the box of death because of the leakage and general nastiness it had from long term storage. I am a little experienced in dealing with that kind of stuff so in return for cleaning it up and making it into a cool presentable collectible I got to keep the books that were in it (turns out it was a rock hounds field test kit). In the little pile I got both the prospecting short course and the analysis course. Great books

OP
OP
S

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010

Tried to send too many pix so will go a few at a time...the last one is the opened box minus the 2 manuals and the paperwork so you could see the contents underneath.

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 247
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 256
  • c.JPG
    c.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 239
  • d.JPG
    d.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 256

Highkamp

Jul 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, This is amazing that you posted this. I actually purchased this kit (actually a portion of it ) on eBay several years back but did not realize that it was missing other parts and that it was even part of the Dukes Short Course. The portion that I received was the one in labeled Box #1 in your photo but it did not come with any instructions or name of mfg, etc. so I could not even research it much. I just happened upon a thread on a forum the other day from someone that included reference to the analyses that matched up with what I had. Long story I now have solved a five year mystery on this source of this kit. I would love to know what else came in the kit aside from the one box of chemicals I have. It looks like it has several other items, etc. If possible, please send me more pics or the list of contents of the kit so I can hope to rebuild the missing elements. Thanks again for posting and especially the photos!

Highkamp

Jul 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever head of "Duke's Short Course in Prospecting?"

Back in 1966 I ordered a kit from him...I was 16....and had a great time with it. Of course, he's dead now but no one seems to have heard about him unless you're in your 80's. I pulled it out of my storage unit and brought it home to look at again and for awhile I was 16 all over. Just curious. DAN

Highkamp

Jul 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally was able to come across the original Dukes kit on ebay and quickly picked it up. I have several different field assay kits I have found over the years and Dukes is one of the best. It was a great product for the time and sadly these kind of kits are long gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread