Scenic Waterway Closures

cowboy444

Jul 29, 2003
Gold Beach, OR
I realize you may have seen this posted on other forums but my reason for posting in so many places is to inform as many people as I can.

Mr. Calum Stevenson
State Parks and Recreation
State of Oregon.
[email protected]

After an informing phone call from Department of State Lands.

It has just come to my attention that the State Parks Department has closed 18 different rivers or river sites designated as Scenic Waterway to the use of a motorized dredge.
I feel discriminated against as a recreational miner who can't use all his tools of the trade.
The Kayaker is not asked to use 1/2 a paddle to run the rapids.
The fisherman is not required to only take 1 hook with him on his fishing trips.
The swimmer is not required to wear 1/2 a bathing suit.
The motorized boats are not required to leave their motors home. Or store their gasoline 50 feet from the water.
Why is the miner required to NOT have the use of a motorized dredge or other motorized equipment?
The difference between panning and dredging is the difference between night and day.
Panning would recover $5.00 to $15.00 a day on a good day.
Dredging would recover $50.00 to several hundred dollars worth of gold on a good day.

Not only do I recover gold but I have recovered and removed from our river systems, mercury, glass, aluminum cans, lead, fish hooks, fishing lures, silver jewelry, and coins while aerating and loosening the soil bringing nutrients out of the soil for fish to feed on.
The laws that were in place, before this action by the State Parks Department, protected spawning salmon by limiting the season for dredging. Now this change has come into effect because someone did nothing to renew the mining clause in the old Scenic Waterway rules.

I am a member of several prospecting forums and have built my own web page with links to these and other forums.
http://webpages.charter.net/cowboy351/forums/index.htm

It is my intention to post this message spread the word about this discrimination throughout the Internet and make the people aware of the new restrictions being placed on us.

State Rep. Peter DeFasio will be in my area in a few days and I will talk with him also.

You are welcome to contact me at: [email protected]
And I hope you do so that possibly we can work together to change the rules so everyone has an equal chance to use our rivers for their enjoyment.

Sincerely;
Randy L. Waters
28555 Hunter Crk. Lp. #36
Gold Beach, OR 97444
541-247-7880

aka cowboy444 or cowboy351

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread