jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I built my trommel I also built a 16"W by 5'L sluice. I have been testing this box with riffles and expanded metal but think I would get better results from a smaller box. What I'm looking for is some good ideas on different types of box's and riffle design. The screen classifies down to 1/2" and I am using a Honda 2" trash pump. I believe it's putting out 158Gal per min. I will have to double check on that. Does anyone know if a LeTrap sluice or one of the Angus Mackirk sluice box's would work on a trommel?
Also made a modification to the water spray bar system but don't have a pic yet, will post one when I get one.
Thanks for any input.

Upvote 0

Sam Burgin

May 10, 2008
I know this will start hate mail, but here it goes. I've tried the Angus pinched sluice and the explorer under high water and high volume like you will find in a trommel, I actually tested them in a trommel.

They simply will not handle the throughput and volume.

Every 2 gallons of sample tailings showed way too many fines for my money.

They work great if you limit the throughput, but then what's the point.

I went back to 3/4 raised over miner's moss.

Sam​

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys,
The riffles that I am using I picked up used off of craigslist. They are a Keene riffle (that's what I was told). They appear to be over an 1" tall so maybe its not the sluice width. I just don't think my water supply is what it needs to be for that tall of riffle. I did make an expanded metal riffle setup for it in hopes I would get better results but haven't had a whole lot of time to test that yet.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Hey Jog
I to am using my new homemade highbanker 16"w x 5ft long with 1" x 1/4" flat on top riffles.
Also using 2" in and out pump running at 1/2 speed.
Also using rough top conveyer belt on the top part of the sluice, works great at catchin the fines.
But my material is screened to 1/4.

Works great. Might be the 1/2" screened material???

Hefty

Attachments

• IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,267
  • IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,036
  • IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 555

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 10" x 4' Keene A-52 sluice on my trommel but I replaced the stock riffles with a set of Clarkson design riffles that I made myself.
They are 1" tall with a 1/2" lip at the top and are spaced every 2" for maximum efficiency, they also require a 3" to 1' drop instead of the usual 1" to 1'

The riffles are over a deep groove mat, no expanded and no miners moss. Then I run it into a 14" x 4' sluice with only a vortex mat to catch any super fine and flour gold that may have sneaked past.

The Clarkson design creates a perfect vortex of water between each riffle insuring that any heavies are allowed to drop out in the low pressure zone created and that the lighter material keeps moving on down the sluice.

This weekend I was able to recover gold all the way from fine dust to picker size which is par for Indiana Glacial gold.

gold1.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hefty1 said:
Hey Jog
I to am using my new homemade highbanker 16"w x 5ft long with 1" x 1/4" flat on top riffles.
Also using rough top conveyer belt on the top part of the sluice, works great at catchin the fines.

Hefty

Hefty, that is one fine Highbanker :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what you guys are saying is that it's just me? :laughing9:
Hefty
What size holes do you have and how many per side on your spray bar?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply go over/under and 90% of the problem disappears down below and your worries disappear as 1/4" + nuggets on top layer ain't going nowhere but your poke-tons a au 2 ya Jog---John

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
jog said:
So what you guys are saying is that it's just me? :laughing9:
Hefty
What size holes do you have and how many per side on your spray bar?

Well Jog I started with 5 holes on all 3 sides, 1/4"
That did not give give me enough water out in the field, so i took the 3/8 drill i brought with me, knowing i would have to use it. I heated it up on the camp stove and started punching the 1/4" holes 2 at a time to increase water supply. Ended up punching all the 1/4" to 3/8 and adding 2 more holes on the middle bar. Still wasnt enough. So i took a hack saw blade, heated that up and cut 2 - 3/8 slots between the top 2 holes on the side bars. Good water supply now.

Attachments

• IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 6,145
  • IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 774

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
GoodyGuy said:
Hefty1 said:
Hey Jog

Hefty

Hefty, that is one fine Highbanker :icon_thumleft:

Thanks GG
But not as nice as that trommel of yours.
Wish i had one so i wouldnt have to move the material by hand, to far to pack one in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions