Just how rich can a location be in gold?

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a book that is based on a real treasure hunter. One of the chapters is on a region of Ecuador. He originally went to this location and was coming to check out some pre-Inca tolas(burial mounds). While he was starting the excavations, he decided to check out the nearby river to see if it contained a decent amount of gold. All he had was a frying pan, so he used it in place of a gold pan and filled it with gravel. In 6 pans, he netted about 3 ounces of high grade gold! Just about all of his stories have been verified to be real and very accurate, so this shouldn't be the exception. I verified one of the chapters myself, and actually met one of his workers who is still alive. He worked with the treasure hunter for 3 full years and verified that chapter.

This would come out to about 3000g/cu yd. Is this possible? It would absolutely be the motherlode and would seem to be right on the source. I have heard crazier stories though. FYI, this area he is at is about as remote as you can get and at high altitude.

Opinions?

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ecuador just nationalized gold mining-industry dead now as all gold is now government property-GAME OVER- >:( >:( >:( John

OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chavez nationalized Venezuela. Nothing yet for Ecuador, though you never know. Laws simply aren't enforced here. If they are, just bribe them. I have never felt more free overall.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
I would surmise he panned out of a collecting hot spot. :dontknow: Will not average those #'s over a larger sampling of the area. BUT, I sure wish I had been there. :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o Hmmm maybe I should start using a frying pan :tongue3:
Last week I watched a man pan gold with a dust pan and he did pretty well. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Buddy, you will get the chunky stuff but not the fines in a greasy skillet. Too much float. :laughing7:

BornOnFire

Jun 11, 2011
Sahuarita, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II DP; Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Alaskan Adventurer said:
Chavez nationalized Venezuela. Nothing yet for Ecuador, though you never know. Laws simply aren't enforced here. If they are, just bribe them. I have never felt more free overall.

Ahhh heck...hopefully, he'll be dead soon anyway! Going to cuba to seek treatment for cancer is like going to Russia to seek treatment for heroin addiction..... LOL.....

Attachments

• hugo-chavez.jpg
    hugo-chavez.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 604

sherwood

Greenie
Oct 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a hotspot here in Mexico (pacific northwest),

all of the mines were abandoned in 1828 (independence) by the french miners who lived here,

today some peasant folks still go to the creeks and sometimes get lucky with some grains,

I got my detector today and will be going to the area and start working it,

I have some hillbilly cousins who live there....so it`s basically a win win for me,

their ancestors used to trade gold nuggets from the mountain mines....

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alaskan Adventurer said:
This would come out to about 3000g/cu yd. Is this possible? It would absolutely be the motherlode and would seem to be right on the source. I have heard crazier stories though. FYI, this area he is at is about as remote as you can get and at high altitude.

Klondike here...

Sure it is possible for those kinds of values.... I once read about the Klondike gold rush, where the claims, in some places, were limited to 12 square feet.. yes! that's right, 12 square feet.. and men became millionaires even from such small claim sizes as that...(at $20 or so per ounce)...

Sure it's possible to find a bonanza like 3000 grams per yard.... very rare, but possible...

If you know where it is, go for it.. spots like that only come by once in a life time, if ever...

Klondike...

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TAKODA ...

Your post reminded me of a time in the California Sierras...where I was placer mining and following an old very small tunnel built by someone in the 1860's...they drove this small tunnel in with only 5 feet of dirt over their heads.... they went in about 50 feet and stopped... once we had removed all the dirt.. we found a line of very large boulders.

The old timers had interpreted these boulders as the inside rim of the channel...once we removed the boulders... found about 1200 yards of gravel stuck in behind the boulders.. along with about 60 ounces of gold...That's all the was left of this old hanging channel... It sure would have been fun to mine more of that channel, if there was more left to mine....after all the eons of time of erosion.... way up in the high country of the Sierras...

Very rich "hot spots" do happen from time to time.... when you find one it sure is fun...

Klondike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions