burke county NC

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
I've been a relic hunter for years but recently moved to south east burke county nc on the east side of the south mountains. I've been going at pretty hard in the area around my house including the jacob fork river with zero results. I don't know if its a lack of gold in my area, or my lack of experience. Anyone familiar with the are that can maybe give me some advice?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
Well I guess I'm in the club now, and I coulnt be happier about it. After a month and a half of pounding out the creeks around my house with nothing to show today I thought id use my day off to head to the historic gold mining areas about 20 miles west on the other side of the south mountains. Well I got there and drove around for hours looking for a spot only to discover there are only a couple small creeks in the whole area. I was able to find the owner of one who told me I was welcome to try it, but at least a dozen people including himself with no luck and he would giv e me a hundred bucks if I found a flake, so I headed back home. About half way home I saw a nice creek and the farmer was out working his land. This basicly splits the difference between my house and the known gold fields, about eight miles from both. I stopped and asked and he said knock yourself out, that only one person had tried since he owned the land and they found nothing. By this time it was getting late so I did three or four tests pans with no collor and then clasified about a third of a five gallon bucket to take home and pan with my three year old. Well sure enough I found three pieces of lead shot and two gold flakes in that bucket. Boy when you find the real thing there is no more mistaking mica for gold, it stands out. The bed rock is exposed in places there and about two or three foot down where I dug. Of course I didn't take the time to dig to it today so I stoked to go back for a full day with a sluice as I am sure there is more there.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like seeing that yellow in the bottom of the pan for the first time, go back and find some more of that good stuff. Great job...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, you're in the club now for sure :icon_sunny:

Go for the gold
GG~

OP
OP
B

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
Thanks guys. Tried to go back yesterday but after rain the creek was to high to get back to where id had success. The good area was a small low gravel bar after a bend. The spot I could reach yesterday was long high gravel bar that cuts across the creek but not after a bend. No luck there. I guess I thought any gravel bar might be ok since decent sized rocks are obviously being deposited there, but apparently not. Confusing. I hope to ge back today. Incidently a half full bucket of wet gravel is a chore to carry home.

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Aboard! Take your time and try to find some cracks in that bedrock and CLEAN it out ! Use some kind of plunger to put force of water in cracks to move out the gold...
Good Luck!

lpeedin

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2012
nc
Detector(s) used
coinmaster pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIRTY RED

Welcome Aboard! Take your time and try to find some cracks in that bedrock and CLEAN it out ! Use some kind of plunger to put force of water in cracks to move out the gold...
Good Luck!

Im getting ready to start dredging around south mt. My name is Larry and I could use some help if your willing. You can reach me at [email protected]
I do alot of metal detecting with a life long friend of mine , but he's not into dredging. Im always interested in meeting new friends that enjoy the hunt for gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions