How common is Octahedron crystal nuggets? Now with photo

oldblues

Greenie
Sep 29, 2011
:icon_sunny:I worked for a jewelry manufacturer in the early 1980's that produced real gold nugget jewelry. Unfortunately I only purchased a few, while gold was cheap. I purchased a few small octahedron nuggets. I found it curious that the shape is the same as raw diamond crystals. I am curious how rare they are. I was a goldsmith for 30+ years but I am new to prospecting and metal detecting.

Attachments

• crystal gold 1.jpg
    crystal gold 1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 904
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How common is Octahedron crystal nuggets?

Would like to see a pix--any pix as size,color and looks are always the best selling points on rarer crystal nuggies. I luv'm all but others not so addicted--John :hello2:

OP
OP
O

oldblues

Greenie
Sep 29, 2011

I have a pic but I don't know how to post it.

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

we all need to see pix. please, i need to see. just kidding i have never held one just seen pix. gold in Crystal form is rare no? would have to come from underground ie unweathered. highdesertranger

OP
OP
O

oldblues

Greenie
Sep 29, 2011

Okay, it's grainy but I will break out the actual camera and take a better pic when I have time.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i know crystilin gold is more expensive and you only get what the buyer would pay,but how much more expensive is crystilin gold than nuggets?how does a person put a value on it?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: Yep you got the good'ns--the finer the crystaline definition and the shinier the better the price-spot + 10% is a good starting spot at least and yes those are indeed rare and thanx much for the pix-any one helps much--John

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much you want for one of those?
Pm me.

GG~

OP
OP
O

oldblues

Greenie
Sep 29, 2011
I have no intention of selling them. I saved them 30+ years ago because I thought they were unique, I was just curious how common or rare they might be. I remember seeing a huge specimen probably from Russia that looked like a series of pyramids in a cluster. I hope that piece is in a museum somewhere.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldblues said:
I have no intention of selling them. I saved them 30+ years ago because I thought they were unique, I was just curious how common or rare they might be. I remember seeing a huge specimen probably from Russia that looked like a series of pyramids in a cluster. I hope that piece is in a museum somewhere.

I completely understand :icon_sunny:
Out of curiosity .... how much does your largest weigh?

OP
OP
O

oldblues

Greenie
Sep 29, 2011
I should have put something in the pic for scale. They are tiny like a 2.0 mm across.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
O

oldblues

Greenie
Sep 29, 2011
As a goldsmith for the company mentioned earlier, I had a tray with an ounce or more of small nuggets form which I picked from to inlay in rings and pendants. I did this everyday for several years and at somepoint I started picking these out to purchase for myself. My ex has a really nice single nugget pendant that looks like a piece of wood grained driftwood. I saw a lifetime worth of nuggets in a few short years and I guess in my old age I miss it so I guess I will have to find my own nuggets now!

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that crystal gold. Thanks for the pic Goody Guy, that octahedron cluster has a drool factor of 11 - out of a possible ten. Nuggy

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Klondike here...

A friend of mine, who is long passed, worked on the Idaho Maryland Mine in Grass Vally, CA... and broke into an entire room of this crystal gold.. he said it was hard to look at the gold as his lamp kept reflecting off the crystals brighter than his lamp ... I don't remember how many pounds of the gold they took from that Glory Hole.. but it was a bunch... I believe he said he was on the 5th level down (probably near a mile deep or so) working a side drift on a small seam when they hit or broke into this large open room coated with this kind of gold... from floor to ceiling... I wished I could have been there...

Klondike...

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northern Nevada Gold has been the premier site for righteous best of the best nuggets for many many years. Always luv 2 c them nuggies in any way shape or form :headbang: -thanx-John

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Resurrecting this thread because I wanted to ask if people know where you can buy these kinds of specimens, I'd love to buy one someday but you can't just find them on ebay or one of those gold nuggets for sale websites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread