GOLD RUSH ALASKA season 2

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau said:
if i wanted to watch fishing and hunting,id watch them shows on another channel.

I Agree, looks like I'll be doing alot more Fast Forwarding,
next season.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead: Mining lessons from Fred?????????? :tongue3: I'd rather be dead as I'd get thrown in jail for murder and end up dead anyhow- not only NO but LL NO- John :argue:

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Klondike here...

Seems like Dakota Fred....is trying to do some PR repair work for his take over of the claim....he may be right about how the film crew underminded him..

I have a totally different take on the take over by DF...I have my doubts any claim payments were missed...as it was reported by the video as to why DF took over the claims...

Last year, I met with a distritic office of MSHA as I was considering opening a commercial mine within their juristiction....and within those discussions, these officials told me the Anchorage, AK office of MSHA had 179 write-ups of safety violations just from watching the show..without visiting the site.....probably many more once on site...

That being said, another friend of mine eventually paid approximately $89K in penalty fees to MSHA for safety violations which he refused to comly with...and that was ony 5 seperate violations...

Back to the show.... what did DF do when he took over the claim.. puled out every piece of Hoffmans equipment ...I mean EVERYTHING..and completely re-designed the mine site...completely removing ALL MSHA satety violations....no violations.. no penaties...

Just imagine what 179 violations would have cost the Hoffmans...if just 5 had a value of $89K...? The Hoffmans had no way of affording that kind of cost...

The film crew did make DF look like an ass... and the Hoffman's look good and get some operating money to boot...In my opinion, the film crew see season one being based on the Hoffman's... they must surive at all cost as they are the reason the show was started...

With that being said... would I want to take mining lessons from DF... NOT A CHANCE ! ... I most likely can teach him a few things about mining...comparing my 30 years to his 7 or 8 years...

I wish them all well.... hope each and everyone of them have great success.... Right now I am too busy setting up my own commercial operation on BLM land with MSHA's blessing in Arizona to get too invlved with these shows any longer.... next year will I'll probably miss most of the shows as we'll be running our own gravels...as we should be fuly functional by mid June this year...

Good luck to all of them on the shows and to all on this site... much success to all...

Klondike...

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY KLONDIKE,

I'M CURIOUS... DO YOU HAVE TO TRAVEL ON FOOT OR MULE ETC.. TO GET TO YOUR
AZ BLM CLAIM?
I SAW A PROGRAM LAST WEEK ABOUT THE BLM KEEPING THE BORDER PATROL FROM
USING EVEN FOURWHEELERS TO PATROL AN AREA 100 MILES WIDE ALONG THE BORDER
THAT RUNS MOST OF THE WAY FROM CAL TO TEX. WITH A FEW GAPS MISSING.

THEY SHOWED ONE OF THE BORDERPATROL'S MOBILE TRANSMITER TRUCKS SITTING AND
COVERED WITH A TARP. THEY SAID IT TAKES MONTHS TO GET BLM PERMISSION TO MOVE
THE TRUCK. THEY SHOWED LOCKED GATES, PREVENTING THE BORDERPATROL FROM
DRIVING ON EXISTING ROADS. ALL IN THE NAME OF KEEPING THE 100 MILE WIDE STRIP
AS NATURAL AS POSSIBLE, IGNORING THE TRASH AND ABANDONED CAMP SITES LEFT
BY ILLEGAL IMIGRANTS AND DRUG TRAFFICING.

HOW DO YOU GET TO USE THE LAND THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE PUBLIC LAND, OR ARE
YOU MINING IN ONE OF THE GAPS.

I KNOW THAT THE SHOW THAT I WATCHED WAS ANOTHER OF THE DRAMA SHOWS, WITH
A LITTLE FACT HERE AND THERE, BUT I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT SOME PARTS WERE TRUE.

HAVE YOU GOT ANY INSIGHT ON THAT DEAL.

LET US KNOW IF THERE WAS ANY TRUTH IN THAT, AT ALL.

I HOPE YOUR PANS ARE ALL FULL OF THAT YELLOW STUFF, WHERE EVER YOU ARE.

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS.
:coffee2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE thing that bugs me about fred is when he gets more gold then the hofmans , he does not mention it was because the hoffmans put a summer of blood and sweat to get fred to the bedrock. what a ass. :argue:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm said:
THE thing that bugs me about fred is when he gets more gold then the hofmans , he does not mention it was because the hoffmans put a summer of blood and sweat to get fred to the bedrock. what a ass. :argue:

Yes he talks like they Begged him to take it off them
because they thought there was nothing there to find.

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike...

Thanks for the questions.... Back in my day, 30 years ago... mining on public land was much easier than today...However, with a good working knowledge of the 1872 General Mining Laws....one can usually side step most land mines the BLM wants to throw at you....but if you go in believing you are in the right, but without any specific laws and regulations to cite to them and bring to their attention, you will get shut down...by the same token, if you just start mining without jumping through the proper hoops, you will get shut down....today, it is sooooo much easier to play by the rules, even if you don't like them.. just use them to your advantage.....

There are 3 steps to getting an active mine site on BLM land you have a valid claim for approved and permitted.....

Step one.... go do you assesment as casual use...pick and shovel, dry washer or maybe recycle water with a car battery powered pump..... no heavy equiment at all....under casual use.. you do not need to notify any one and just collect your samples for a lab to give a certified assesment of the values you found there... Once you get your assesment back, and it is determined you can mine the propery profitably...go to step 2...

Step 2....Hire a Geologist ..meet him on the property..go over the plan in which you want to work the mine site....He will draw up a NOTICE OF INTENT...this is significantly different than a PLAN OF OPERATION... Once the NOI is approved, which when submitted, the BLM has 15 days to respond or the NOI is automatically approved... Why do I use a Geologist rather than do the NOI myself....because I know it will NOT be rejected....It will be done right...usually a Geologist will charge around $1,500 for this service...

Then go to work AS OUTLINED BY THE NOI... do NOT exceed the NOI... remember "...play by the rules..."

Now after a couple of months...increase your production or add additional equipment or what ever... and just send in an amended NOI...again, the BLM has 15 days to respond...very, very rarely will they respond to the amended application...and you can do this over and over until you are operating just like you want to, fully permitted and approved....

The one big difference between a NOI and a formal Plan of Operation is the NOI ONLY covers 5 acres at a time, the PO covers the entire claim, but also requires an Envirnmental impact statement, plus public hearings.. this can take up to a year to get fully approved and permitted..... You do this application while you are working under the NOI...

The area I have chosen has a long and rich mining history and has had a permit on before..along with being removed from highly populized areas... but is within 5 miles on 2 wheel drive dirt road from a paved and well used AZ highway...

Don't get in a hurry..know your rights...and speak up POLITELY..... a good attitude goes a long, long, long way.... the John Wayne method will get you lots and lots of resistance...

Hope that helps...

Klondike

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Hmmm, You are dead on. If it were not for Hoffmans, Fred would have spent the year just trying to reach the real pay streak. :icon_scratch:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANK YOU, KLONDIKE!

I HAVE HALF OF MY BOOKSHELF FILLED WITH BOOKS AND DOZENS OF MAGAZINES DEDICATED
TO MINING, PROSPECTING, CLAIM FILING, EQUIPMENT RECOMENDATIONS AND MUCH MORE.
AND I LEARNED MORE FROM YOUR POST THAN ALL OF THE OTHER STUFF COMBINED.
IT DOES PAY TO ASK QUESTIONS TO THE RIGHT FOLKS, AND YOU ARE ONE OF THE RIGHT FOLKS.
I LIKE JOHN WAYNE, BUT YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT NOT TRYING TO "JOHN WAYNE" YOUR
WAY THRU THE BLM. IF THE BORDER PATROL CAN NOT DO IT, I KNOW THAT I CAN NOT.
ONE OF MY FAVORITE QUOTES IS FROM HIM..."LIFE IS TOUGH... IT'S EVEN TOUGHER IF YOU ARE STUPID." IT'S KIND OF IRONIC WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT.

THANKS AGAIN FOR SHARING THE WISDOM.
GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS.
:coffee2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poorhunter78 said:
P.S. I said I was going to melt gold and cast a bullet.. I was unable to get to the garage to use the torches this week.. But don't sweat.. I will get to it in the next couple days.. Family comes first... I am anxious to see it happen myself... :headbang:
I finally got to the garage and melted it down.. I melted it with an acetylene torch in a small Cast Iron pot, (used for lead).. After I got it cherry red and melted, I carried the pot outside to cool. What I have looks like a piece of steel slag.. So I did a little R&I, Apparently I need to re-melt it and add flux to draw out the impurities.. This gold was supposed to be pure...

So it will take some time to gather these supplies to remelt and flux out the non gold.. I broke this apart, As you can see in the pic!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone catch Todd's comment "Next season, We are setup for 1,000 oz" The only way I see them getting 1,000 oz next season. Is helping theirselves to a stockpile in some gold reserve.. :laughing7:

I can't wait too see Parker prevail at smith crick.. He is a Go-Getter.. Working through the hard winter to prepare for next mining season..

Attachments

• Ben Camera Pic 003.JPG
    Ben Camera Pic 003.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 455

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
POORHUNTER,
ALL I CAN SAY IS "HOLY COW"!
WHEN YOU GO IN, YOU GO ALL IN. I SURE HOPE YOU DON'T LOOSE ANY OF YOUR GOLD!
I ALSO HOPE THAT YOU GAIN SOME GREAT LOOKING NUGGETS OUT OF THE EXPERIMENT.

THIS WILL BE ONE FOR THE BOOK, OR ONE FOR THE FUNNY PAGES, I DON'T KNOW WHICH.

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS.
:read2: :icon_sunny: :coffee2: :coffee2: :icon_sunny: :read2:
MIKEL

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Will a Lead mold accept the heat from molten gold?

You going to make 24K Bullets or Sinkers ? :wink:
That's a good Question Jeff.. Maybe one day If I am ever lucky enough to strike it rich, I have panned alot of Ebay Dirt.. Not enough there to get it done.. :wink:

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PoorHunter... I remember that Parker visited the guy smelting his Gold and the fellow added broax (similar to soap he said) to the gold before getting it melted.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CaptJohn said:
PoorHunter... I remember that Parker visited the guy smelting his Gold and the fellow added broax (similar to soap he said) to the gold before getting it melted.
I read about a mixture, Silica sand, borax, and something else.. to make up a Gold flux.. :thumbsup:

loby

Oct 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiiii...

Even though many real-life miners scoff at the amateurish ignorance of Gold Rush: Alaska and ex-would-be miner Jimmy Dorsey was used as a scapegoat for the group’s inability to follow directions (the manufacturer of the wave table said that Dorsey was, in fact, using it correctly – the addition of the jack is what inhibited its performance), one can’t deny the appeal of this television series.

Watching a group of everyday citizens risking everything for one purpose is completely captivating. In today’s times of financial distress, the notion of someone wanting to provide a better life for their family is something that many can identify with – and from the ratings, it looks like many have.
Since its premiere, Gold Rush: Alaska continued to rank first place amongst men aged 18-54 and 18-34. Considering where the first season finale left off, one can only assume that this ratings success will continue into next season.

Now that the group knows how to mine gold and Jack has found the glory hole, one can only guess how much money they’ll make next year.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend who knows the producer of the show. I am told that all the mechanical problems on camera are all fake and done just in a LAME attempt to create"drama". They have so much money floating around that camp they can afford to buy just about whatever they need, but they don't so they will have an excuse to fill up air time with mechanical breakdowns. AND they also keep complaining about money problems, WHEN THERE ARE NONE. The show more than pays for everything they need. Another lame attempt to manufacture "drama" for the tv audience.

It would be so nice to have a show where they just left all that stuff OUT. Save the drama for your momma!

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
UncleMatt said:
I have a friend who knows the producer of the show. I am told that all the mechanical problems on camera are all fake and done just in a LAME attempt to create"drama". They have so much money floating around that camp they can afford to buy just about whatever they need, but they don't so they will have an excuse to fill up air time with mechanical breakdowns. AND they also keep complaining about money problems, WHEN THERE ARE NONE. The show more than pays for everything they need. Another lame attempt to manufacture "drama" for the tv audience.

It would be so nice to have a show where they just left all that stuff OUT. Save the drama for your momma!

Yup yup.. It's TV, EVERYTHING is scripted. If not only the miners would watch and produce very little ratings. They have to create drama to lure in all audiences. If not, this show would not be even close to what is it ratings wise. And you also correct, the producers will get them ANYTHING they need money wise. They are making very good money to be on that show. And the gold is just a topping.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, as I said, attempting to make your show all things to all people is only a good way to make bad TV in my opinion. Not every topic should be dramatized.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions