Found "silver" rock

jadejackal

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2011
Found "silver" rock

I know it says "gold" but this looked like the best place.

So I was out detecting yesterday in a cattle grazing area on a hill side (probably more of a mountain side really). I was looking for an old homestead that I never found. Turns out is may have been a land swap with the BLM, which would mean that the homestead was on an other section of land. While I was going over the area looking for relics I got a huge hit that showed as a hotrock. My dad heard it from several yards over and he thought it was a coin and came over to investigate. I switched the MD to prospecting mode (I have a hand me down White's MXT 300 if it matters) and ran over the rock. It zinged again rather loudly. The VDI was in the +90 to +94 range, which is listed as silver. It turned out to be a rock that was laying on top of the ground and it was about a foot long and 5 or 6 inches across. There were a few other rocks that gave the same signal. I took out my pin pointer and ran it on the rock and it buzzed very loudly. I grabed one and took it home with me.

Now my question is what do I do with the rock? How do I go about finding out the specific mineral composition of the rock? What should I do with the rock? Send it to the refiner? Not sure how to procede with this one.
Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found "silver" rock

Hey jadejackal ...

Klondike here..

You're on the right track... send it to an ASSAYER....not a refiner... There are several assayers around the US.. I personally use Copper State Analytical, located in Prescott, AZ...if you call them..... Talk to Andrew... he's a great guy... just be patient, they are very busy...

Here is their contact info..

Copper State Analytical
1050 Spire Dr. Unit I
Prescott, AZ 86305
Telephone: 928-443-5227

Good luck to you... Hope it turns out to be a nice find for you...

Klondike...

OP
OP
J

jadejackal

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2011

So do I need to break the rock up and smash it into powder before I sent it to an assayer's office or can I send a whole rock in?

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Klondike here..

Just call Copper State Analytical.... and talk to Andrew..... he'll tell you how he wants it delivered as well as how much of an amount to send him. Most likely, he'll crush it for you....and he probably won't need much of a sample to do an assay.. just a few ounces...

Good luck to ya...

Klondike...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread