Matilija creek, ojai

Marleysurf11

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I went up to matilija creek up in ojai for a few hours today. We tried a few areas below the hot springs up there but no luck. I've tried researching ojai, but there really isn't anything on the Internet about gold up there. So I think my next try is piru creek tomorrow afternoon, then definately San grabriel this weekend! Hopefully I will find something in piru, or San grabriel!! I'm hoping I run into someone prospecting sometime to make sure I'm doing everything correct! Maybe I will this weekend at San grabriel, from what I read I hear it gets quite busy up there. I can't wait!!

Upvote 0

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Marleysurf11 ...

Klondike here...

Good luck in Piru...I went there many ..many times.. decades ago.. so I don't know what is allowed now and what isn't...at the time, I lived near Riverside, CA. but that was a very, very, very long time ago...

But if old dirt road is still open off I-5 as you head north up over the grape vine .... foll;ow it all the way back to where you cemented gravel walls... and beyond is a large flat area.. that flat area is actually a tailing pile from a former operating placer gold mine...it is a large flat area...hard to miss in such a hilly area... it is certainly man made....where as the hills are natural...Go down to the creek.. lots of smooth worn bed rock showing... and the tailings go to near the waters edge...maybe 50 feet so to the creek....it is a bit of a climb on all the loose dirt and rocks of the tailings.... I have always found good gold there though..... that is for a recreational outing..... sluicing these tailings near the waters edge.. lots of flat, smooth pieces, some with a little thickness to them...

Good luck to ya...

Klondike...

OP
OP
M

Marleysurf11

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about going up to the piru creek actually through piru. I think I can still get to the creek, going up through the city of piru, by the lake and hopefully hitting the stream! I'll let u know tomorrow evening what I find out

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks John...

If my memory serves me correctly.. the road that Marleysurf11 wants to take for the better gold on Piru is.... Hungry Valley Road... is that right? I believe it is... then follow it to the end... I believe the gold is better off Hungry Vally road than going through Piru itself...

Klondike...

zigyourzag

Jul 21, 2016
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Marleysurf11 ...

Klondike here...

Good luck in Piru...I went there many ..many times.. decades ago.. so I don't know what is allowed now and what isn't...at the time, I lived near Riverside, CA. but that was a very, very, very long time ago...

But if old dirt road is still open off I-5 as you head north up over the grape vine .... foll;ow it all the way back to where you cemented gravel walls... and beyond is a large flat area.. that flat area is actually a tailing pile from a former operating placer gold mine...it is a large flat area...hard to miss in such a hilly area... it is certainly man made....where as the hills are natural...Go down to the creek.. lots of smooth worn bed rock showing... and the tailings go to near the waters edge...maybe 50 feet so to the creek....it is a bit of a climb on all the loose dirt and rocks of the tailings.... I have always found good gold there though..... that is for a recreational outing..... sluicing these tailings near the waters edge.. lots of flat, smooth pieces, some with a little thickness to them...

Good luck to ya...

Klondike...

Hi Klondikeike, I know this is an old post but its been driving me crazy wondering where this old dirt road is off the I-5 and thought I might as well reach out for more details. PM me if you would like to.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Klondikeike, I know this is an old post but its been driving me crazy wondering where this old dirt road is off the I-5 and thought I might as well reach out for more details. PM me if you would like to.

First, I am not the least bit familiar with the area described but Mining Claims Maps is your friend. Learn how to use it and it will open a whole new world of gold prospecting for you and you will probably be able to find access to the area that was described.

Good luck.

Last edited:

zigyourzag

Jul 21, 2016
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you arizau for your reply, Yes Land Matters is a wonderful site and I have just started using it a couple months ago. I did find some history with respects to the area mentioned in the previous quotes. Its pretty amazing how much history is out there that many people will never know or see. What I have learned and the places I have seen so far have been the true treasure.

Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread