Build your own Gold Trap

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
Several years ago I finally made my own gold traps. I used a 3 foot section of 4" PVC.
Put a screw-on lid on the bottom & a regular tub drain trap on top, the kind with a hole
every 1/4 of an inch. You may want to paint the drain trap a dark color so it does not
reflect a shiny surface. Place the 4"er inside a 6" PVC pipe. The tub drain trap will cover
both the 4"er & the 6"er. Next travel into the hills and find a likely looking draw that gets
lots of run-off. Dig a hole the depth of your PVC pipe and lightly throw the remaining dirt around the outer pipe.
Make sure to fashion a strong handle to the top of the 4"er before burying it. Check it at
least once a month.
On those rainy days go run your gold traps. Carefully remove the 4"er from the
6"er, and dump what was accumulated into a bucket, take it home and pan it out. You would be surprised the amount of fine and flour gold that comes down some of those draws and settles in your gold trap. Even a small nugget will go through the drain holes. Once you find a profitable draw, string out several gold traps across it. You might just be amazed at your finds. Locate each trap with a GPS reading so you can find them easy on the next run. With them level with the top of the ground, they are very hard to see by someone else, unless they stop directly over them and look down.

Upvote 0

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Any way to post a picture or drawing of what you are talking about ? Its kind of hard to follow what you are saying without some way to see it.

OP
OP
G

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
homefires said:
Ya, me too! Photo or something please. I read Pictographs better.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,265
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,117

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Thanks for posting the illustration. It may be just me though , but I still cant picture exactly what this device does and how.

OP
OP
G

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
OK, here is another explanation. The entire apparatus is buried in a vertical position in a gold rich draw with the floor drain even with the ground.
When it rains, the dirt, rain, gold, etc. flows across it and some of the material finds its way into the apparatus. About once a month, I go out and
empty the material in the tube, replace the empty tube, take the material home and pan it out. I keep all the gold flakes & nuggets. In a years time
it really adds up. Gold is being accumulated when ever it rains, even when I am sleeping. Can't get much lazier than that can I? The more of the
apparatus's you have, the more gold you can accumulate without kneeling there all day panning and shoveling dirt.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goodie hunter said:
OK, here is another explanation. The entire apparatus is buried in a vertical position in a gold rich draw with the floor drain even with the ground.
When it rains, the dirt, rain, gold, etc. flows across it and some of the material finds its way into the apparatus. About once a month, I go out and
empty the material in the tube, replace the empty tube, take the material home and pan it out. I keep all the gold flakes & nuggets. In a years time
it really adds up. Gold is being accumulated when ever it rains, even when I am sleeping. Can't get much lazier than that can I? The more of the
apparatus's you have, the more gold you can accumulate without kneeling there all day panning and shoveling dirt.

I talked to a prospector that set up riffled traps in the creek on his claim in Arizona and did the same thing .....checked them once a month, paid his rent and had beer money left over :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
G

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
I can believe that Googyguy. Ive been there.
After about three checks and still nothing, the trap gets moved to what I feel is a better location. Sometimes it is a hit and miss situation.
I have several draws that has multiples of my gold catchers buried in them. Like the old saying, "if at first you don't succeed, try again".
Good day to you sir.

latnem

Greenie
Nov 18, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is similar to a tip I was given a while back. Rippled storm drains are common in flash flood areas. Checking these after a large rain it can be profitable :laughing7:

jaguargene

Feb 8, 2011
Has anyone has the plans like the one on goldtraps.com's GTK! and GTK2.It looks simple to build.I just connot see paying 200 buck for the plan,what a rip off.I beleive he is the one that sell's it on ebay.

Attachments

• gold trap.jpg
    gold trap.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,886

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
No doubt about it though , you have to really have a gold rich spot or it wouldnt be worth it. I like the idea , it would be pointless to try it in my area though. Some of you guys are lucky to live where you do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread