newbe needs help!!

pops46

Dec 6, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found this in some clay and sand, and took it to a jewler. The sample looks like silver with gold. They are in flakes easy to bend. they sink fast in water.he used nitric acid and the stuff did not desolve. then conc. nitric and nothing. He put flame to it but did not use borax. It burnt some away but made a small ball, black looking but kinda hard. I would be gratefull fr any help...

Attachments

• a 1068 023.jpg
    a 1068 023.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 364
  • a 1068 024.jpg
    a 1068 024.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 394
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like lousy mica and NOT a good jeweler as a scratch plate with nitric woulda proven it all. Simply take a steel object/knife to it and press-ifn' it cracks,crumbles or goes CRUNCH it is Leaverite as in leave it right there-John

OP
OP
P

pops46

Dec 6, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks john, I tried that it is soft. I was using a window screen to remove the flakes, they would bend there was some copper flakes also they crumbled. I had the stuff in a jar put water in it didnt leave the bottom as I swirled it. there was some floating gold? on top I strained it and it looked like gold dust. Some of the flakes look like silver on one side with a blackish color on the other. I cant git a good pic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread