Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau said:
im disappointed in this show! turned out tobe another reality show after all!i still watch it but.....

I'm ready to Give up on it

The captain of the Wild Ranger Needs to be sent Packing
along with his Buddy Steve.

Zeke needs to Get a Life.

Emily needs to Put out & Get back to work.

and the The Christine Rose has to start
paying the Crew off the top, Not after the Bills.
I'm sure the Capt. is a Multi Millionare.
& Still squirling away 80% of the take.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Rebel, You could be right about the suction. :icon_scratch: The whole thing is just a chaotic mess. :BangHead:
None of these hands could work for me, for as the older I get the less tolerance I have for ignorramouses like that. :tongue3:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GrayCloud said:
Rebel, You could be right about the suction. :icon_scratch: The whole thing is just a chaotic mess. :BangHead:
None of these hands could work for me, for as the older I get the less tolerance I have for ignorramouses like that. :tongue3:

Amen :tongue3:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
And another thing, My Country Boy Work Ethics far exceeds what they have shown so far. Not to mention, our knowledge of a maken/fixen things the correct way. These guys wouldn't even make a good duct tape engineer. :icon_scratch:

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
[/QUOTE]
I'm ready to Give up on it

The captain of the Wild Ranger Needs to be sent Packing
along with his Buddy Steve.

Zeke needs to Get a Life.

Emily needs to Put out & Get back to work.

and the The Christine Rose has to start
paying the Crew off the top, Not after the Bills.
I'm sure the Capt. is a Multi Millionare.
& Still squirling away 80% of the take.[/QUOTE]

Man do I ever agree with you Jeff. The Christine Rose outfit is the biggest bunch of crooks in Alaska if you ask me. Paying your crew is an expense, also the law. The Dept of Labor would have them in shackles if that kid had any brains. They would owe him for overtime also. I just loved how on the last episode the two of them run out for a bit and get 160+ ounces, yeah right. That Wild Ranger guy should be in jail, for a long time imo. Chicks like Emily only go to Nome for one reason, that hasn't changed in 100+ years either.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Jason in Enid said:
mts said:
russau said:
very simple! the more material you proccess the more gold youll get! and they do more material in 1 hour than the dredges are doing all day!

I'm no prospector but I would also assume that the deeper you go the more gold you get. That excavator is likely going much deeper than most of the other dredges. Some of those dredges are barely scratching the surface.

It makes you wonder if any of them have ever river dredged. Punching a 5 foot deep hole is nothing on many rivers, yet here they are content with just a few inches of overburden.

Yea,he lost me on the dragging thing,that made no sense.#1 you are just scratching the surface#2 how is that prospecting?He now has no clue where the gold he did get came from?

A little Nome info: The gold in the ocean is in thin layers, often on or very near the bottom. There is a clay layer in some areas and hardpan in others. Only where the ancient river channel was will you find deeper gold. That and the several submerged ancient beaches. New storms bring up and deposit new gold so it is somewhat perpetual. If you go past the layers you will find nothing, that is why you do not see any deep holes. The excavator is just moving more material but they are just taking the top 2 or 3 feet.

You cannot drive to Nome.

Any item will cost 4 times as much as it does in the lower 48.

There are bears near pretty much any Alaska town or city, they like the dump, fish smokers, and about anything else they decide to get into.

Drunks will be more prevalent and more dangerous than the wildlife.

You will not be able to leave anything unattended, when you come back it will be gone or destroyed, prepare accordingly.

The weather will be mostly horrible and wet and cold, but when it's nice you won't believe how nice it is.

All the actual beaches are privately owned, below mean high tide is state property and open to non motorized digging, Keene makes a special beach highbanker model for Nome and like areas. Other than the East and West rec areas you must have a claim. Most of the gold is gone from the rec areas but there are pockets, there always is some that was missed. 110 years ago you could do as well as the Christine Rose with just a shovel and sluice on the beach. At times during the show the Christine Rose was definately in the rec areas, as were several of the other dredges, but that may have just been for filming purposes.

Nome is just plain expensive, most of the claims that were auctioned were not actually purchased, as there were no nonpayment penalties one party was just bidding everything up for some reason or other. There are plenty of very good operations working offshore Nome. Discovery just picked clowns for the show imo. If any of you decide to go get a room in advance, maybe rent an apartment or house if you are planning for a longer stay. Barge service is only two or three times yearly, your Conex needs to be packed and ready to go pretty soon or it will not get there till the season if 2/3 over. Or you can air freight everything in, it really isn't much more than the barge but you will get raped on large objects.

Many people design there dredges to fit in a 20' Conex, You must have everything, spares, & transportation designed to fit in the Conex. Four wheelers are the method of choice for travel, They rent for up to two hundred a day, if your going to be there awhile buy one or bring your own. Fuel this summer will probably be $7 to 10 bucks a gallon. You cannot ship gas last I knew. Oil and lubricants are ok.

If you plan on going to Nome and Camping out you will need some form of protection, there are both two and four legged predators. Take bear spray, an air horn, and preferably some suitable sort of firearm if you are comfortable/trained with them.

So anyways these shows do not show much of or about true Alaskans. Parker's family are the only ones who seem like regular Alaskans. Enjoy the shows regardless, if you come up bring lots of cash lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions