buying land / gold claim

Feb 27, 2006
SUSSEX COUNTY, NEW JERSEY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i saw an ad in GOLD PROSPECTOR MAG. for a 1 sq. foot of property at the Lost Dog Mine in Nome Alaska. looked it up [LDRadventures.com] . sounds silly, but they give you a deed numbered for your lot. it looks pretty good. you can frame it and show your friends. now they'll know you've really lost your mind. its only 29.95 plus 8.00 postage. now you can tell them you know the Hoffman's. i don't know what you would do with just 1 ft . it would be pretty hard to mine.what do ya think guys? any thing to this. RALPH

Upvote 0

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be worried about the hassle of having to pay property taxes or getting involved in some lawsuit regarding environmental cleanup. It sounds like fun, but in my mind there are too many legal implications involved with land ownership to even consider such a thing. You really don't own anything. But you potentially have all of the negatives of land ownership to deal with.

I think I'd pass. Take your $28 and go buy yourself an old framed stock certificate to an Alaskan mining company (or something similar). Same effect, no risk.

But hey... I'm a worry wart anyway. So what do I know? ;D

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I totally agree with MTS. sounds like a scam to me. maybe that claim is dry and they're trying to recoup their loss.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
there is also a company that will sell you a star from the night skies. just pick the one you want, they'll send you a certificate of ownership with location of your star.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy one or two or three next to each other and then bring in a driller and drill everything down to bedrock.Maybe they want you to buy a lot of them together which would add up.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Ralph already said, it's a novelty thing. Just like selling you your own star, they are looking for people who want the novelty of owning a piece of a gold mine that they will never even see.

These guys are trying to make a quick buck. At $28 a square foot, they will make $1.2M per acre. They have no intention of ever letting you on the property. They just want to sell certificates to people who want to hang something on their wall. And as a novelty it sounds like fun. HOWEVER, unlike selling you your own star, true land ownership has legal implications. So it probably isn't worth getting involved in. It's a neat idea, but I'd rather put my $28 toward an old stock certificate, authentic photo of a gold mine, jar of "gold flakes", antique prospecting equipment, or any other novelty/collectible that floats my boat and has no legal ramifications.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jmoller99 said:
In the 1950's you could get a square of the Yukon just by buying Quaker Oats. The certificates are collectable, but that's all you can ever end up with.

http://www.yukoninfo.com/klondikebiginch.htm

Wow! That is such an interesting story. I'd definitely pay $40 to get one of those "deeds" just for the heck of it. Thanks for posting that link. :icon_thumleft:

echidna gold

Greenie
Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd look into it for sure even as a wild punt. 1sqft can steralize a lot of ground, say the big boys want to open pit the area (as an example ) If you can enforce your property rights on that strategic 1sqft and the ground is wanted....

Lostdogmine

May 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At Lost Dog Mine, There is no property Tax or Liability. We encourage people to come visit, please revisit our web at LDRadventures gold mine to see our new offers on prospecting, and a New Gold rush giveaway!!!
we would also love to hear your comments on our message board

Thanks..
happy prospecting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you buy one sq. foot to mine, you will need to buy the adjacent 10 sq. feet to throw the dirt! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions