Gold Flakes in Quartz?

cardinalrunner

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, I am new to this site, but I have been lurking for awhile and finally just joined. Super interesting stuff all on this site and have really enjoyed reading through the posts.

I have been most interested in gold prospecting and am having trouble determining gold flakes from pyrite.

Here is a close up of some tiny rocks I broke off from a larger piece of quartz. It is from an area known to have gold in quartz.

Cant wait to hear some feedback and I hope to contribute here to!

dtjd3.jpg

cjql0.jpg

Upvote 0

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Texas,you'll be on this site all the time now, :laughing7:

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly not something I know from experience, but here are some tips I found online at eHow.com. I have heard the streak test before so I am sure it is accurate. The magnet test I didn't know worked, would be interesting to see.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4735330_tell-fools-gold-real-gold.html

Instructions

Things You'll Need
Magnet
Plain white tile
Flint
Gold in question

Start putting together a gold detector kit. The first item to put in the case should be a small ceramic tile. To use this handy square, turn it over to the back and scratch the nugget in question across. Greenish black streak? You've found fool's gold. Golden yellow streak? You've found real gold.

Put in a magnet - Fool's gold will be attracted to a magnet. When pyrite is heated, it actually turns magnetic. Real gold will show no effect when placed next to a magnet. If you do find pyrite, making a nice magnet out of it is not a bad idea.

Bring a piece of flint - Besides being able to rescue you from a fire less demise if you get lost while mining, flint can also help you decide if it's real gold. Iron pyrite is Greek for "of fire", it is well named, for if you strike a piece of pyrite against flint, you will get a spark. Real gold will produce nothing.

Look for these physical differences; Pyrite will look more pale brassy and be in a crystal form. Real gold will look metallic yellow. It's more often found in nuggets, instead of bunched together like crystals.

After you have tried these methods, you will no longer be another person fooled by pyrite. You will be able to pick out the real gold with ease.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my very little experience of finding stuff in quartz I would have expected some discoloration if it was pyrite, leading me to believe yours in gold, and if it is, it is some very good looking pieces, might find a jeweler that can cut those into pendants or something.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I agree with the Wiseman, looks like Mica. You can tell by the whiteish glint of some of them when there arent reflecting the light. For example take a look at these pics below.

Its all Mica. You can see how white the pieces are that havent fallen in the water yet.

And here's a slideshow of a gold in Quartz specimen I found last year when a couple of us were dredging in NC.

http://img703.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=dsc00028dt.jpg

OP
OP
C

cardinalrunner

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, Ive taken some more pictures and will share them with you all. My reason for believing the original pictures are not gold is simply, "It can't be this easy..." lots of my rocks look similar...and I am not the one who would be lucky enough to have stumbled on a gold mine!

Anyways, here are some of the specimens I have recently collected.

These are representative of the host rock of the original pics.

wl21a8.jpg

t6x8pf.jpg

12572wl.jpg

Now, on to some others. Strange looking quartz.

2lbiz3c.jpg

296hgci.jpg

And some other mineralized rocks

2znpz0n.jpg

More Quartz

34e7xoo.jpg

10d5oj4.jpg

And the strangest by far. It looks roasted on the bottom, charred black. Lots of spongey holes too. I keep this one outside-because upon scrubbing it up some, it started smelling really strong. Not a bad smell or good smell, but very strong and distinct. Not like rotten eggs, although I cannot describe the smell by relating it to anything.

fpaw74.jpg

14sz88o.jpg

Thanks guys! I enjoyed rock hunting, even if they are just good lawn pieces. I did find several old bottles, very neat. Some of the bottles were from the 30's...I can only imagine being a miner in those neck of the woods and drinking brews after a hard days work. Ah, those were the days.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your last piece is slag

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread