Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold in Ma. help ?

This gold was found in the concentrates from 5 / 5 gal buckets of mat. run through my homemade sluice screened to 20 mesh.
lots of black sand removed at the head of the sluice with magnet. I spoke to a professor of geology from Greenfield collage who said I had the right idea as where to look and it was pretty. He also said he wouldn't say anything cause prospecting was against the law in Ma. Is this true? Some of the gold is so fine it looked like specs of sun in the pan. Pic's of my sluice and the gold. Should I keep my mouth shut and keep going or stop. I don't need trouble with the law? What do you guy's think? Any input appreciated thanks HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Attachments

• work 051.JPG
    work 051.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 308
  • work pix 020.jpg
    work pix 020.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 305
  • work pix 022.jpg
    work pix 022.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 318
  • work pix 023.jpg
    work pix 023.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 329
Upvote 0

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Re: Gold in Ma. help ?

I am no apologist for the People's Kommonwealth of Massachusetts, having been born there and lived there for the first 28 years of my life. I don't think there are any laws against prospecting in Massachusetts. This is through no benign intentions on the part of the Massachusetts General Court. I believe it is, rather, that no one east of Worcester believes there is any gold in the streams of Massachusetts. Believe me, if they thought there was, they would tax it, outlaw it, or both.

ctjonb

Feb 22, 2012
Conn.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey guys actually unless the person i emailed is unknowing, no we cannot here is a copy and paste of his reply,
however I am not sure if this applies to private land, I just got into it, at end of last year so if anyone else has any info please share with me so I don't get into trouble either far as I know ct pans only , vt and nh u need to get permits.
25 for res and 50 for non res ? in both states. Go figure that one out ?
there gonna charge you to play in the dirt lol that's too funny

here's email

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting DCR. These activities are not permitted in DCR Parks or Properties. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact DCR with any future questions or concerns.

Have a good afternoon,

Bill Hickey
DCR Community Relations

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been trying to find what the law is in Mass, I wrote an email to the DCR asking about "hobby rock collecting" since if you cannot even pick up a rock then you have no chance of panning or sluicing. If I didn't have an LTC I would just do it, but with a Mass LTC you have to be squeeky clean as they can deny your 2nd Amendment rights for anything including the infamous "not a suitable person".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread