Gold in PA?

Wickedwrx

Dec 29, 2011
Southeast, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I live a few miles away from a few large serpentine barrens here in SE PA. The area is known for large deposits of chromium and serpentine. There are Chromium mine remnants and tailing piles located all over a friend of mines property. He tells me along with the Chromium there was also a good bit of gold mined from this spot. Does this sound right? I'm tempted to get a pan and try some prospecting but I'm not sure if he is just pulling my leg.

Upvote 0

mineron

Oct 2, 2011
Gold Bearing MNTS
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold can be found in the glacier drift areas. This map is of the areas that have the largest drift rocks, the idea being big rocks big gold. The darker the purple the thicker the deposit. Most of this stuff is buried pretty deep. The data is from well boring logs. Look on tops of hills that have worn rocks. Look on hill noses where the top soil has been wash away for rock exposure. Any faulting or up lifts could expose the rock. Look in any deep cuts made from water flow. And in your example where man has dug deep into the ground. All the gold concentrating mechanisms of nature apply. Good Luck

Here is a map of GLACIAL DEPOSITS OF PENNSYLVANIA by PA dnr.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/maps/map59.pdf

Attachments

• PAgold.png
    PAgold.png
    833.6 KB · Views: 13,090
OP
OP
Wickedwrx

Wickedwrx

Dec 29, 2011
Southeast, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I think I may give it a shot. Where did you find that map at? I have some family just outside of Syracuse NY, and it looks like there is a large purple area right over them. Thanks again.

mineron

Oct 2, 2011
Gold Bearing MNTS
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wickedwrx said:
Thanks for the info. I think I may give it a shot. Where did you find that map at? I have some family just outside of Syracuse NY, and it looks like there is a large purple area right over them. Thanks again.
Just getting out to prospect is is fun in itself, finding something is great. I made the map with mapping software using data from the USGS.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just thought you might be interested to know that I have found some small pieces in south western PA. Not too much, but there's some around

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It might be worth your time to drive to virginia to prospect depending how far you live from there

Scotto840

Jun 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody ever find gold south of Pittsburgh area? Washington county?

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think in Pa the only place you can find real deposits of gold are jewelry stores, I have heard people claim otherwise, I hope you find me wrong. I think the geology of Western Pa is sediment layers 19,000 ft thick in places, except in the mountains in the east/central Pa

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRUST THIS,,,,

There is GOLD in Pennsylvania.
And yes,,,,I have been holding back posting what I have found.

It IS the SAME as Real-Estate ,,,,,

LOCATION,,,,

That's all I'm saying for now though,,,
Except it is a LOT of work to get..

Hit

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice work hitndahed

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They teach kids to pan for gold at Mingo Creek Park so...hmm.

Scotto840

Jun 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heard a guy found a few ounces in clarion. Not far from Pittsburgh. Any truth to this?

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I CAN tell this truthfully,,,

It took a full day of panning and digging to get what I got,,

And it ain't much,,, mebbee 10 or so pieces of color,,

But the strange thing is that it is bigger than I was expecting,,,I was expecting micron sized "flour" type gold
But it was bigger than that,,,
When I get home I will start a new thread and reveal my findings to all.

Those here who wish to prospect in Pennsylvania should take a long read of Lanny in Albertas thread here
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

THIS is what gave me the insight and information to actually find some of this elusive metal here in Pa.

Hit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread