finding gold in south carolina

R

roblisa

robbie.... i'm trying to locate some areas in the south carolina area of sumter .camden.ridgeway. are just sc. places to go to pan for gold that anyone know thats had luck there.i've heard of flat creek. i'm knew at this and like to find someone in the sc area that might want someone to go panning and looking for gold..i've study alot of places to go to. but i need somewhere that is not tresspassing.. if you can help please do so. thanks robbie

Upvote 0
D

damz68

Hey Rob,
I live in Greenville and when I do pan I go to Sumpter NF around Abbeville. I have a permit and it is good for guest. I know that is a good distance from the Sandhills area but it is about the only spot in SC where you can pan without tresspassing. I know the Lancaster/Chesterfield Co. area is good, or that is where the Haile Mine is. That area is all private property, if you can manage to find out what Co. owns that land now they might let you pan. Bad thing is the mining that has gone on there has left a nasty mess that may leave you feeling a bit light headed. I would think the Lynches River upstream from Haile may be good and if you can find a road that you can access the river by than it is not considered tresspassing as long as you stay in the river.

bradsallbusiness

Jan 17, 2014
Fountain Inn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was up at the Sumpter NF over on the Clinton Johanna side and found quite a few areas I'd like to prospect you said that you had to get a permit to pan there?

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello bradsallbusiness just passing through and seen this yes you do need a permit and you can get it by calling the edgefield long crane ranger district speack to Glenn Kansenback not sur of the last name the number is 803 637-5396he will take your info and then he'll send you the permit and where to dig and what & what not to do hope this was helpful

oifbusch

Aug 24, 2014
Abbeville, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sumter NF is literally down the street from where I live...about three or so miles. I have never panned for gold but have a gold pan kit in the mail and really interested in going out and trying my luck...anyone know of any clubs in the area? and also goldhuntertim, is there a fee or price for the permit? i know nothing about the laws and regulations yet...thanks

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouf- call the ranger station. Tell them you would like a permit. It is free. Only pan and shovel. They will mail you a permit and a map of where you can and cant pan. Its kinda tricky to judge where its ok to in some places but you will get the jest of it. Best of luck there. I have went a few times and found a bit here and there. Wish i could take my sluice or gold cube lol

oifbusch

Aug 24, 2014
Abbeville, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Docster...thanks man...im goin to call the number for the long cane ranger district tomorrow. I cant wait until my Barretts Deluxe Pan Kit comes in the mail...im already researching the geology of the area and lookin at makin my own sluice and manual hand pump dredge system...i have high hopes for this area...so much gold, diamonds, rubys, amethysts, and more....even Beryl has been found right down the street from my uncles house...anyway, i think i already have the fever and havent even been out panning yet

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
i had a little luck panning in some of the creeks that lead into Lake Jocassee. Nothing chunky, but definitely got some nice colors.

Jan 20, 2010
Greenwood, S.C.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT, TDI
Fisher F75
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab GPX 5000, Explorer SE
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oifbush,

There is a club out of Augusta that had a small claim on the creek right behind Bladen's Country store in McCormick. Store closed now. There gold is fine/flour type. Saw a few pickers come out of there in years past. On Another note : Small gold operation was being operated on same road the Candy Branch Rifle Range is on. Place was more nearer to Highway 28 than the rifle range. Think it was called Confederate Gold Mine. Can find gold in creek that runs beside this place. Beware!!! Do not trespass on this claim. Owners not friendly to stranger's. Look up on local GIS to see where property boundries are.

oifbusch

Aug 24, 2014
Abbeville, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oifbush,

There is a club out of Augusta that had a small claim on the creek right behind Bladen's Country store in McCormick. Store closed now. There gold is fine/flour type. Saw a few pickers come out of there in years past. On Another note : Small gold operation was being operated on same road the Candy Branch Rifle Range is on. Place was more nearer to Highway 28 than the rifle range. Think it was called Confederate Gold Mine. Can find gold in creek that runs beside this place. Beware!!! Do not trespass on this claim. Owners not friendly to stranger's. Look up on local GIS to see where property boundries are.

Thanks Clem/South Carolina,
I will try some of those creeks close to Confederate Gold Mine ;) ...also, today i think i found my first gold :) here in Abbeville/Antreville area

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2 , XP Deus , ctx3030
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i had a little luck panning in some of the creeks that lead into Lake Jocassee. Nothing chunky, but definitely got some nice colors.

Hey oxbowbarefoot , did you use boat on lake Jocasee ? Or you could get there on foot ? I heard story from local guy that there was big tunel like dug up hole ( probably old mine ) before thay fill the lake up , right in the mittle of todays lake .

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haven't been on for a while oifbush but there is no fee and as far as any clubs IDK of any but heck if u live down the road from where I go I won't mine a NEW FRIEND to go panning with I'm waiting for my permit right now cuz it exp. 2-2-16 so I had to call Glenn it takes some times 2 -3 tries with in a months time cuz I leave a message wait a few days for my permit come in the mail no permit so I'll call again u know it will be on its way if u talk to Glenn personal I also like going metal detecting but that harder to find someplace to do that

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is old, but what in the world are you guys talking about claims? There aren't any on the east coast. Maybe you mean they leased the land. Either way, going on private land without permission is trespassing!

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe yes you can get a claim or claim to mineral rights here in NC. There's one particular site you can go to and see where they are at. I cant think of the name of that site right now though. It show a claim 20 miles from me on a particular creek that's very productive.
Edit to add that maybe its mineral rights lease?? not sure the correct terminology but on that site it shows it as being ''claimed''.

Last edited:

Cointoss82

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2016
Greer S.C.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey there. Looking to get access to some property here in S.C. to pan on. Haven't been out since I left Colorado. Hoping to get back into it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread