HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Claim Jumper Get Jumped.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
5.gif

http://auburnjournal.com/detail/200910.html

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
ii hope they rot in h*ll for being the theives that they are. those people that left comments are NUTS!the guy is very fortunate that they only got cited/arreasted for theft and not the federal citation inwhich i hope they get before they get out of jail!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently they have a lot of like minded friends in that area, maybe they are doing the same thing. Being stupid doesnt make it legal. They just thought they were smart enough that no one would notice. They live in the area, so im sure they know exactly what claims look like, so they cant use that as an excuse.

mcscs

Apr 12, 2010
fla
I have met plenty of people that have gone out metal detecting. And not found any gold for months. These guys just out having fun and I get some dust. Seems like they had an advantage by going on someone's claim. I guess it makes it a little easier. I wonder what type of metal detector they had. The interesting to see what detector they were out playing around with.

How many times do you think they were there before they were caught. Or how many other claims have they done this on.

I think it would be a good idea for more people to poston the article. Let the people know just how much hard work it is to maintain a claim.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone needs to point out in the comments that mining claims are handled by The department of the interior, and more specifically Bureau of Land Management which is a federal institution which makes trespassing, or stealing from that place a federal crime.

They should also point out that mining claims are typically marked by signage indicating that it is an active mining claim. And anyone with a brain would understand a mining claim is in someone else possession if it is posted.

When you buy a gun, you learn the laws, when you buy a car you learn the laws, when you buy a fishing pole, you learn the laws, and when you buy a metal detector....well, you learn the laws.

And it is quite interesting that one guy was carrying a .45 concealed, was he protecting himself from wildlife, or was he expecting trouble?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i have seen many federal mining claim signs that were shot full of holes! this is a crime aswell! while we were on this particular legal claim(thats clearly marked) we would see guys pull up and start unloading their equipment and start down to the stream (on the claim) and we would stop them and ask them what they are doing. "im going todo some highbanking" they replied. im gpaa and im going to work this creek. well they were about 1/4-1/2 miles away from the gpaa claim and he didnt know any better to check or was just to darn lazy to care. but the claim owner told him he could work the creek for the day. BUT only if he was present. to bad some people cant get their head out of..............................well you know what i mean!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The comments on the news article actually has more info than the article! It's sad to see how many people don't see mineral tresspass or claim jumping as a crime. But then again that is cail where all the hippies think everything belongs to them.

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
Them 2 are not smart enough to be stupid !!!! :dontknow: :evil5: Some Kalf. judge will feel sorry for the idiots and let them walk :BangHead: :BangHead: :tongue3: :angry5:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
In the comments that Jennifer said .. " All they were doing was playing with there metal detectors"......I guess people just do not under stand what they were doing..... And they had gold they found on them......... I don't think most people know about claim jumping........... But i think the two they caught knew....... And it look's like the people in California think it is ok for those two to do what they did by the comment's.....

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
In the comments that Jennifer said .. " All they were doing was playing with there metal detectors"......I guess people just do not under stand what they were doing..... And they had gold they found on them......... I don't think most people know about claim jumping........... But i think the two they caught knew....... And it look's like the people in California think it is ok for those two to do what they did by the comment's.....

WTG! Keppy judge a state by a dozen comments from the duos 20 something groupies....

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
they violated mineral treaspassing laws (federal law) and the green california judge allowed them to walk. why werent they cited for the federal violation? watch for them because theyll be back!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:evil5: Ignorance of the law is absolutely no excuse--at least when the insane bureauratz are dealing with miners BUT other user groups treated VERY differently-F'M' shoot the :tard: and feed'm to the critters-John

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Twisted One said:
Keppy said:

WTG! Keppy judge a state by a dozen comments from the duos 20 something groupies....
All i know Twisted One is most of the comments saying they did no wrong came from Cal. people.......... But by the look's of it they will get out of it....... They should get some jail time even if only 30 days............ Then they would think twice the next time......

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but all us Californians are not the same, and it looks like those that were backing him, are his friends or from the same area. Probably many of them have the same "hobby". Now if they were from the city, I could understand that maybe they didnt really know what a claim looked like, but these were locals, and knew what they were doing, but just didnt realize that other people, (police) also sometimes know what they are doing, and know when cars are parked near certain areas, they might be up to something.

I must be lucky, to be born in the most popular state in the Union. Everyone knows everything about everyone in Cali, but we dont know s... about you people in the rest of the country. Yes, Cali is a hippy state, and even some towns still have the old hippies, but now they have long gray hair, and maybe need help to walk. But there are more than 30 million people in Cali, so its being a bit simple to read a few post, and say the rest of the millions are the same.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Twisted One said:
Keppy said:

All i know Twisted One is most of the comments saying they did no wrong came from Cal. people.......... But by the look's of it they will get out of it....... They should get some jail time even if only 30 days............ Then they would think twice the next time......

Well Keppy, they would be comments from California residents, because they were commenting on the forums of a paper published in Auburn, which is a California area...so it would not be surprising to anyone that an article in a California paper, written by a Californian, about a couple of California guys, robbing a claim in California, would have comments from Californian people...

If this was published in any other state I am pretty sure you would get the same comments from the young guys crowd of followers. The point is, you are making a absurd judgement about a whole lot of people based on the comments of a few young people that probably don't even know what a claim is, or that gold actually comes from the ground.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
This is my neck of the woods and if they try that on my claim they wont be sitting in jail. :angry5:

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Hefty,

Thats what I said ,,,,They would be buried by now. They shoulda served time,they are thieves. PERIOD, CUT & DRIED. What a bunch of dumb as%$s trying to defend them. Would be different if they had lost things to these people.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
It is about Respect and Integrity, or should I say the lack of it. :BangHead:

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
As someone who has been detecting for 8 years now I can honestly say that until recently and then only because I have developed an interest in prospecting. I had no idea about claims on public lands or any other for that matter. Heck I just found out that the house I am buying does not include mineral rights. Now I am not saying that these people were not wrong for detecting on claims. I am just saying that many people who have no interest in prospecting wouldn't know anything about claims. Since I have never been to a claim or have yet attempted to prospect or metal detect for gold I can honestly say I do not know what signs are posted around claims. Should these people go to jail for not knowing about the laws I don't know. Should they be fined yes I think they should, after all they fine you for violating hunting or fishing laws even though you were unaware of any limits, length or weight limits. I plan on joining a prospecting club and learn from people who know about claims and prospecting so I can enjoy what I thing will be a enjoyable hobby. Happy hunting all and may each outing bring you gold. Ted

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While it would be near impossible to place signs to be seen from every vantage point, the couple of claims I have seen in my area do have well posted signs.

It about the size of legal paper and says "Active Claim" across the top in large letters, then details about the claim underneath that.

The chances of them not knowing about a claim to begin with, is possible. I knew about them before I bought my detector because my grandfather was a dredger.
The chances of them not seeing one of the signs posting that it is an active claim, probably not likely. The chances of them not knowing that means don't mine there, probably unlikely again. I could pictures me with my detector to the ground walking, headphones on and watching the ground, and might happen to walk by a sign. I try to stay pretty aware of my surroundings though.

In my opinion if they have not been caught doing it before I would suggest they have to return the gold to the owner, and pay a fine. I think they have more to worry about on the concealed weapon charge myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread