All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much use except for fines recovery and uses quite a bit to work right and only worth a few bucks a pound,old mercury usually needs a cleaning. John

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you google mercury recycling you may find a place to sell it or at least properly dispose of it. As a vapor it is pretty dangerous so not a smart thing to use as an untrained amateur. You could also reach out to a local prospecting club to sell/give it to someone who can use it safely...

OP
OP
cfdfire

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Hoser and kevin for your replies . No worries kevin as I am well trained in hazardous materials and all 4 vials are still sealed in the manufactures containers.
Just to think as a kid it was fun to stick your fingers into the big vials and think nothing of it.
I will put an ad on Craigs list to look for a local clock maker that can use it,if not I will just hold on to it and keep it safety stored..Thanks again and take care.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I find amazing is that when I was a kid in the 50's-80's mercury was readily available all over the place. We coated pennies and played with the stuff a lot and the only side effect was a real addiction to gold mining for over 55+ years????? OMG mercury causes gold addiction---just yet another reason to ban it :laughing9: tons a au 2 u 2 -John

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
I agree with Hoser. I played with mercury as a kid and even swallowed some when I was about 5 and bit off the end of a (oral, NOT rectal) thermometer. Today I'm 65 and in better condition than most my age. Yes, mercury can be dangerous but common sense and an understanding of its properties can go a long way toward minimizing any danger. Get a good retort or learn to properly use nitric acid and mercury can be a good friend to the prospector. I have recovered and safely disposed of lots of mercury which was already in the environment. The same for lead as I have taken several pounds of it out of streams here in the northeast.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoser John said:
What I find amazing is that when I was a kid in the 50's-80's mercury was readily available all over the place. We coated pennies and played with the stuff a lot and the only side effect was a real addiction to gold mining for over 55+ years????? OMG mercury causes gold addiction---just yet another reason to ban it :laughing9: tons a au 2 u 2 -John

LMAO, when i was in grade school, the teacher let us goof off with the stuff, may explain why i like to mine

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In jr high I brought some to school. My friends and I goofed around with it at the lunch table...all still sane and healthy as far as I know. On the other hand it almost killed my high school chemistry teacher(!). My understanding is that breathing the vapor is the higher risk exposure (that is how the teacher explained it to us) - is that right?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mercury starts to fumate at 68-72 degrees in accordance to the humidity,not good but really overblown warnings are the rage. Used it semi-monthly for at least 50 years and no side effects except gold addiction and the propensity to not take any shat---tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread