Mining is Alaska? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Mining is Alaska?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2006
    Anchorage AK
    Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
    7 times
    I currently live in Alaska, and have for almost 40 years. You will definately need to research any area thoroughly before making any investments/plans. $200k would make a nice start on an operation. Mining season here is short, you need to be ready to hit the ground running and not let up until it freezes again about the first of October depending on your location. There are many good areas to mine but few unclaimed and for sale claims. With all the publicity prices are crazy also. Absolutely look where gold has been found in quantity. Mines that did not pay when gold was cheap are getting very attractive now.

Fairbanks and central Alaska including East to Fortymile country is plagued with many feet of overburden. Friends of mine have taken years to get to pay gravel on some claims. Dredging is the only way to mine without dealing with overburden in vast amounts. You could buy a 20ft conex and load it with gear and have it shipped to Nome, at least when you gave up you could sell your equipment for a profit. If you go to Nome remember there is nowhere to stay, make sure you pack a four wheeler.

We have had record snows this winter, so the thaw will be long and wet, lasting well into summer in our vicinity. Bugs are worse than bears, but do not take just one persons advice. Alaskan Adventurer may have been lucky during his Alaska escapades with bears, in the early 90's I knew two people who were attacked and killed one week apart. One by a 150 lb black bear, one by a Brownie. There are very few actual attacks, you are more likely to go years without seeing one, but you would be stupid to be unprepared also, just be smart and be aware of your surroundings. Bears are unpredictable, yes it is good advice not to get involved with a sow and cubs, you do not have to be between them either, close can be just plain bad also. If you are running equipment 24/7 you will be fine. When you are away though they will come by and destroy anything they can reach.

Good luck, if you decide head up this way send me a message if you have more questions

Dec 2007
    mxt, dfx, gmt,f75ltd, f5, gold bug, bhid
    1 times
    Hi Lakin 199, for the best answer, and all the answers so far are correct, go to Alaska Mining and Diving Supply's forum and get more answers.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6704 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanx much Waace as nuttn' beats current feets on the ground from someone who is/was walking the walk and NOT jus' trying to sel ya something. Much respect as a spolied kalif miner--well not much now CENSORED-I just hated the place to mine--visit and party LL ya-but otherwise much prefer the lower 48-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links