Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Mar 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Unhappy places to find gold...?

Hey there everyone, just a quick question. I have been sluicing and panning and digging up what seems like the whole river( and tributaries) that is supposed to be the best gold bearing river in northern california but to no avail...I know I have my sluice box setup properly and have tried many different depths and locations but the only thing i can get is 2 microscopic flakes of flour gold. Ive done a ton of research of how gold travels down the river and have dug behind rocks and on banks and everywhere else where the conditions of water once were and still nothing... can anyone give me a little advice on why i cant seem to get anything whatsoever or what to look for when there might be a gold rich area? I know black sand is one of them but there is very little to none around here. Thanks for your help, Matt

p.s. if i made a small pvc hand sucker, would that greatly help the areas I cant get a shovel into

us
    Aug 2008
    12 times
    What river is this exactly and I will tell you some good information.

Mar 2012
    hey cuzcosquirrel, its the smith river in california, way northern california lol

us
    Aug 2010
    Texas
    H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
    13 times
    Hey Mattisdell1983.....

Klondike here...

30 plus years ago I dredge up that way a lot...The Scott, the Smith, the Klamith..and so on...its "big gold country"....my biggest nugget I ever found was on the Scott...somewhere around 1980 plus or minus a couple of years..11 oz 19 dwt.....Just a slug..no charactor... On the surface of the creekbeds, pretty much all you'll find is "float"gold...gold that has been brought in during an extreme flood..its light and flakey..or just specs... the real gold...being this is big gold country...is on the bottom ..on bedrock or a solid clay layer in between or near the bottom....I don't mean to burst your bubble... but is the nature of gold...settling to the bottom over time...

Keep at it...sooner or later, you'll find a nice pocket of "float"...they are out there..if it was easy, everyone would be doing it....

Good luck to you...don't give up...

Klondike...

us
    Aug 2008
    12 times
    Chances are that you are digging float gold from cracks and such.

You have mentioned an area I am not that familiar with.

What I would do is look for large rocks in the stream, maybe 3+ feet in diameter.

Dig all the way down to the bedrock around these. Look for gray clay layers having dark blue gravel right on top of the bedrock. One thing I have heard is that there is decent old channel gravel in that area.

Find out about the area you are digging in. If it was hydrolicked in the old days, you may be panning on a slip meadow with little gold.

Talk to people working on the river directly.

kh
    Jul 2012
    Cambodia
    garrett ace 350
    if you have any treasure locator or metal detector that can go deep 1.5-2 meter . you can came to Cambodia to treasure hunter with me.

Oct 2012
    5 times
    Hii friends...

U guys can get help from the below link...

Where to Find Gold

Thank you,

Sponsors