Any groundhogs in your prospecting areas?

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you see groundhog mounds in your prospecting areas?

Do you sample the mounds?

Groundhogs make fairly large & fairly deep dens. If they are in gold territory there is a chance that they have brought gold to the surface. If they have then you could work the hole and keep returning as the grounhog will repair the damage & have another mound for you to work when you go back.

Personally I haven't seen any mounds or worked any mounds but it seems like something that should be tried.

Attachments

• groundhogs-mound.gif
    groundhogs-mound.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 3,115
Last edited:
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi nickmarch,
Your thoughts are right on about using the work of the hole diggers to make it easier for you to learn what they've brought to the surface!! In Downtown San Francisco at the Golden Gate Park there are lots of lawns AND there are lots of ground squirrels & gophers and way down in the ground, in some places, there's cement several feet down. Well the old coins go way down but stop at the cement and the animals will at time throw some good targets right up to the top. This actually happens!! So yes, your ground hogs are sampleing sections of the dirt underneath your feet and they could bring up tell tale evidence of some deep down goodness.

Best of success to you.............63bkpkr

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had some luck digging thru the loose soil of ant hills. You may find these in known gold areas (once at Cripple Creek Colorado, I found a paystreak in a large ant hill - the ants were not happy about it - I checked with my White's VSat gold detector before riling the ants up, and only removed areas that gave me reasonable signals). I have also recovered some small man made items as well - the ants want that stuff out of their nest.

OP
OP
nickmarch

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a youtube video of a guy test panning from a groundhog mound in Michigan. He found gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread