Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Hog Matting...it's the BEST..

Klondike here...

I am not associated with Gold Hog Inc in any way... I am just an old experienced miner...kind of old school in some ways...lol

Anyway.. I am using a very simple sample sluice box as I sample my property prior to placing a much larger commercial system in place...

The box is 10 inches wide...top half is 4 foot long.. bottom half is 3 foot long... both boxes outfitted with Gold Hog matting a combination of both the UR and Srubber matts in the top..just UR in the lower....

We run the boxes at 2 1/4 inches per foot... and 75 gallons of water a minute...and haven't found any gold in our tailings...yet...

These samples are from the worst part of our property.. very high on top of the claim...no round rock ay all.. doesn't look like river gravel at all... and the gold is small at this part of the claim...at first we didn't think it was worth processing...a typical sluice box would not capture it....I know ..we tried... but now we're excited by using the God Hog matting...

What you see below is from a 1/2 yard run bucketing the dirt into the sluice header..no spoon feeding it...nearly
swamping" the upper box......and you'll see the result in pics below...

These pics are from te same pan.. but from different areas of the pan...and the pan was NOT moved around at all....you are seeing new gold in each picture...magnified about 300 times...most of the gold is so small it is just barely visable to the naked eye...You may see these same pics of mine on a different post...

The Gold Hog Matting is incredible from capturing small gold...I recomend everyone use it.. you'll capture more gold...for sure...

Good luck to everyone...

Klondike...

Attachments

• 1st run top red dirt haf yard.jpg
    1st run top red dirt haf yard.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 349
  • 1st run top red dirt haf yard 2.jpg
    1st run top red dirt haf yard 2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 397
  • 1st run top red dirt haf yard 3.jpg
    1st run top red dirt haf yard 3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Upvote 0

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought Gold Hog matting (UR only) for the summer here in Colorado. I have not had a chance to try it out, but your experience with it makes me think that I'll do fine. I also have a Gold Cube (there is lots of fine gold in Colorado).

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Klondike,

Nice feedback on the Gold Hog matting. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

All the best,

Lanny

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love GH Matting. The clean-outs are so easy to do that I can't imagine using moss again... Here is a home-made trick I use on my DIY sluice that I put together last summer; instead of gluing the matting together as suggested in the GH website videos I simply leave it in cut squares that can be easily removed and snapped back together each clean-out. In this picture note the size of the squares and see how they can be assembled quickly into the sluice...
Cut GH.jpg 49 inches complete.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love GH Matting. The clean-outs are so easy to do that I can't imagine using moss again... Here is a home-made trick I use on my DIY sluice that I put together last summer; instead of gluing the matting together as suggested in the GH website videos I simply leave it in cut squares that can be easily removed and snapped back together each clean-out. In this picture note the size of the squares and see how they can be assembled quickly into the sluice...
View attachment 1111578 View attachment 1111579

Have you actually used your sluice with the unsecured mats or are you just assuming that it will work?

The mats don't actually snap together but are formed in a tongue and groove fashion to create a somewhat seamless connection between mat sections. I think they are subject to separation, while in use, and perhaps loss out of the sluice especially if water gets beneath them. Also the side tape (which you are also not using per your pictures) that Doc uses not only helps fit the mat to the sides but also seals them from water incursion. Once they are glued and taped they are easy to roll up and dunk in a bucket for cleanup then re-install in the sluice. Just my observation and a warning as to what could happen.
Good luck.

PS: I too have a home made sluice and use hog mats.

Last edited:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about putting these in a sluice, seems easier cleanout than the proven carpets

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea man if you don't at least tape them together your gonna have issues.

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have UR under the factory riffles in my Keene 4" dredge. I'll be doing more extensive testing this coming season. So far so good though!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
your "homemade" sluice looks like mine I built for my 2 inch dredge. I built a ABS over under sluice with a flair and a straight sluice with a 2 inch crashbox for my dredge. plus I can either use my 2 inch home built jet or my 2 inch home built suction nozzle. and my sluice I can either use Gold Hog mats , Veranda carpet , or Vortex mat. I haven built any riffels for this dredge because its made for trapping fine gold. and IF a nugget or a picker got trapped , id fall over dead and wouldn't get it anyway!:)

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems like they would have problems with the real fine stuff

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems like they would have problems with the real fine stuff

The exact opposite of what you think you should check out some youtube videos or the goldhog site.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Jimmy is right and we're not supposed to catch -100 with a sluice box......if you listen to some that is........

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
which ones you use for fine gold

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all designed to excel in fine gold recovery. Their uniqueness is the fact that you can choose different matts for different equipment, different flow and different material to be run. And due to their design you can put them together however you want for your specific set up. You can run them in large commercial systems all the way down to a stream sluice. In a hi banker you can use one set of matts and adjust flow and angle to deal with material. If you have any questions Doc seems very eager to help out.

MrTim4Gold

Sep 9, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been on the fence about GH, but the more I read and watch this past year I dono why I dont have my own set already!!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
which ones you use for fine gold

In another forum Doc of Goldhog responded to my question as to what mat to use in a stream style sluice to recover Oregon beach gold where the feed is almost all minus 100 mesh. He suggested alternating two sections each of Downdraft and Razorback. I ran that configuration in a home made 5'x7 1/4" ABS sluice one time last summer. I can't say it caught more gold than I have by other methods but it certainly didn't catch any less. One thing that Doc stressed was to test at different angles, etc. which I did not have time to do. I think I ran mine way to hot as I did not end up with as much concentrate as I expected. This could be both good and bad as beach sand concentrates are almost impossible to pan efficiently due to most of the gold I usually find on the beach being way smaller than minus 100 mesh and the less of that concentrate you have to deal with the better - but - I may have had better gold capture at a different setting resulting in more concentrates. I will try it a few more times this summer and see how that works out. As a visual as to just how small this gold is, I panned a small pinch (thumb and forefinger) of the feed material and could see many tiny particles of gold but it takes many hundreds or thousands of these pieces to equal 0.01 gram.

PS: Doc assured me that the configuration is capable of catching all the larger sized gold too.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions