Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ha! If you have a problem, you could always ask a surveyor ................

ckd315

Greenie
Sep 13, 2011
NW Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Holey cow, I finally figured this stuff out.
Now I can take the numbers into the BLM and see if it open for claims.
Good thing it's only a MAX ride into downtown Portland.
Grey

That would be section, township, and range... Meridians relate to time zones.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope--- hit the dictionary as they also are a land designation-example-kalif is the Mount Diablo Meridian and also mandatory in all legal documents filed on all claims-John

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good deal, Greydigger! Welcome to the wonderful world of maps. Just think of townships as the north-south axis and ranges as the east-west axis. (i.e. T.7 N. and R.4 E.) As John mentions above, Mt. Diablo Meridian (also called Mt. Diablo Base line) separates the NORTH standard parallels from the SOUTH standard parallels. The Mt Diablo Base Line runs east to the Nevada/New Mexico border at Buck Mt. New Mexico will start another base line. Maps are my PASSION! TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

ckd315

Greenie
Sep 13, 2011
NW Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It was late when I posted and I was thinking more specifically about sections than the principal and guide meridians...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait a minute.. You guys use maps? :laughing7:

OP
OP
greydigger

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yah, I think (Maybe) the Meridian is a set point for each state,
For Oregon the (?) Benchmark goes from there.
I have been to it in the west hills of Portland.
Then the Township is N/S and Range is E/W.
Section is a square mile seperated into 36 pieces each piece being 640 acres.
The parts of sections are broken down further.
(Help me if I am wrong).
You must have Meridian, Township, Range, Section, and a bit more to stake a claim.
Gosh, I bought 2 homes and I should have known this.

Now, Prime Meridian which governs Time is at Longitude 0 and runs through
Greenwich, England. Used to be called Greenwich Time.
(Pronounced Grenich). Now called Universal Time. Available from National Bureau of Standard in Fort Collins CO.
Broadcast on 5, 10 15, 20, and 25 Mhz. in Amplitude Modulation frequencies.
Also from other parts of the world. This time is determined by observing the half life of the cesium atom.
More than you wanted to know I am sure.
But time is important as to where you are in the world re: celestrial navigation.
At such and such a time the sun, moon, star you are seeing is exactly so many degrees above the horizon on a certain date.
Thus you can get your Latitude and Longitude and say YOU ARE THERE!
Modern GPS units do all the calculating for you so a sextant is not needed.
They go off the geosyncronus positions of satelites thrown into space and triangulated from that.
And time.
For my concern it is the legal description of the land in Meridian, Township, Range, and Section.
I didn't know what Meridian to go from.
Grey

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
maps is what gets me lost the quickest!
Russau, I like the humor in both your and Terry's posts but I KNOW you are kidding! If you are not, get to know maps and they will become your best friends! The trick is... know where you are on the map BEFORE you need the map and you CAN'T get lost! (tisk, tisk) TTC

ckd315

Greenie
Sep 13, 2011
NW Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for elaborating greydigger. I now know that the meridian has to be part of a description for a mining claim. Not a whole lot of mining claims going on around here and that's why I was thinking about time zones...

Again, I was thinking of a metes and bounds property description which contains the section, township, range, and county of a state.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out in florida as I hear new detecting laws rammed,jammed and crammed through your bureauratz to ban???John

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah, I think (Maybe) the Meridian is a set point for each state,
For Oregon the (?) Benchmark goes from there.
I have been to it in the west hills of Portland.
Then the Township is N/S and Range is E/W.
Section is a square mile seperated into 36 pieces each piece being 640 acres.
The parts of sections are broken down further.
(Help me if I am wrong).
You must have Meridian, Township, Range, Section, and a bit more to stake a claim.
Gosh, I bought 2 homes and I should have known this.

Now, Prime Meridian which governs Time is at Longitude 0 and runs through
Greenwich, England. Used to be called Greenwich Time.
(Pronounced Grenich). Now called Universal Time. Available from National Bureau of Standard in Fort Collins CO.
Broadcast on 5, 10 15, 20, and 25 Mhz. in Amplitude Modulation frequencies.
Also from other parts of the world. This time is determined by observing the half life of the cesium atom.
More than you wanted to know I am sure.
But time is important as to where you are in the world re: celestrial navigation.
At such and such a time the sun, moon, star you are seeing is exactly so many degrees above the horizon on a certain date.
Thus you can get your Latitude and Longitude and say YOU ARE THERE!
Modern GPS units do all the calculating for you so a sextant is not needed.
They go off the geosyncronus positions of satelites thrown into space and triangulated from that.
And time.
For my concern it is the legal description of the land in Meridian, Township, Range, and Section.
I didn't know what Meridian to go from.
Grey

Good explanation.

Any meridian is a longitude line, and these two are unrelated except for that characteristic.

Chachie

Greenie
Dec 29, 2012
La Quinta
Hey sorry for bringin up an old thread. I figured I just ask in this thread, since there seems to be some good info. Thing is! I cant understand it. I am stuck at the part on the BLM site where you input the Merid/Township/Range. I was going to just call my BLM and ask them to help me out. Then I saw this thread.
As I am typing this, I panned over to google earth, over my area of interest and saw the set of numbers on the bottom of google earth. Appears to be the coords? And as im reading this thread someone said, Merid township and range is simply that? The coords or gps that I am seeing on GE? Sorry if this seems scattered, been racking my brain trying to fig out the lr2000.

I also want to add, Im using the maps from the BLM office ( which are dated 2006 ) so I know things have changed, but what im doing is, looking at the blm area's on those maps,then using GE just to get an idea of the surroundings, and using those Coords I see on the bottom of Google earth for the Merid/township/range page? Basically, I am just testing and trying to learn, but very confused :BangHead:
Chad

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hardest part of legal descriptions is that you must read and write backwards which is why it's done that a way. Our government has been doing things backasswards for years so just think in reverse of common sense and it's eazy to understand then :laughing7: John

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

If you can find the location in Google maps, then right click the location, and choose "What's Here?" The search bar will then show latitude and longitude.
Then, browse to this site and enter the lat/long to get range, township, section.

Township and Range Search By Lat and Long

Hope this helps..

Chachie

Greenie
Dec 29, 2012
La Quinta
Hi,

If you can find the location in Google maps, then right click the location, and choose "What's Here?" The search bar will then show latitude and longitude.
Then, browse to this site and enter the lat/long to get range, township, section.

Township and Range Search By Lat and Long

Hope this helps..

Very cool, thanks for the tip on GE, and also the link. I will take some reverse common sense pills and get to it right away! :laughing7: But seriously thanks, that should help me out big time.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great stuff Benny, thanks!

Mine it and recycle it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions