Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Mar 2012
    Northern California
    Gold Bug 2, GP 3000
    359 times
    Prospecting

What's your method?

Hey everyone, just posting this to see what other's preferred method(s) for finding gold is while panning, sniping, sluicing etc. For example, I usually use a hand dredge to collect deposits of gravel into a bucket then pan it out. Afterwards I go in with a viewing glass and scrape out any really small holes or cracks in the bedrock with tweezers and pick up any remaining gold.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1694 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    My favorite...... is using a gasoline powered vacuum while creviceing, sniping with a viewing glass, high banking, feeding a trommel, running a dredge, using a drywasher, nugget shooting with a detector, using a hand dredge, panning, sluicing, using a pick on a vein mucking and crushing the ore, and I'm sure there are some others I forgot to include. My least favorite is loading and un loading all that equipment
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Apr 18, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
    ~Diggin The Adventure~
    Visit My Personal Forum Pages

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1541 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My favorite method is screen into bukets using no.4 screen.... wet or dry. Then run the buckets through a highbanker set up to recycle water. TTC
    The tide doesn't come in for six hours. You wanna wait here for six hours? Apocalypse Now

us
    Hickory1

Apr 2012
    NE Wisconsin
    Garrett Treasure Ace 200
    1 times
    Prospecting
    Depends on where one is looking for the gold....if in water or on bedrock, I would do as you have, then bring it home and put it under one of two lighted microscopes, one is X30 and one is X60-X100. I have a gravel pit which keeps me plenty busy with quartz, conglomerates, etc., There is a freshwater spring down there so need need for hauling it up for water I pan right there....snuffer it,,,then when I am done bring it home and put it in a pan and begin the process of "looking". Some "finds" are obvious like the quartz rock I found with a gold vein in it and pooling in depressions in the quartz....but mostly it is a labor of love!

Good luck in your searches!

Charter Member
    us
    War Eagle

Aug 2008
    Alabama
    289 times
    Survival
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    My favorite...... is using a gasoline powered vacuum while creviceing, sniping with a viewing glass, high banking, feeding a trommel, running a dredge, using a drywasher, nugget shooting with a detector, using a hand dredge, panning, sluicing, using a pick on a vein mucking and crushing the ore, and I'm sure there are some others I forgot to include. My least favorite is loading and un loading all that equipment
    It's pretty much whatever works at the time ain't it GG .

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    568 times
    4 inch dredge!

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    1806 times
    My ol' 6" with a 18 hp hi dome pump,triple sluice,highly modified was one gravel munching monster and as long as she put out them pans fulla righteous oro puro I was one happy miner. Look behing the dredge to canyon wall,how'd ya like to haul that monster up/down a 1,600' vertical cliff and climb in/out everyday. For the rewards it was easy for me but NEVER could find anyone else with the fortitude(censored) to do it with me hahahaha-John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clear creek (2).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	580.8 KB 
ID:	628758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-1-2009 11;43;59 am.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	628757  

us
    Mar 2012
    Northern California
    Gold Bug 2, GP 3000
    359 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John View Post
    My ol' 6" with a 18 hp hi dome pump,triple sluice,highly modified was one gravel munching monster and as long as she put out them pans fulla righteous oro puro I was one happy miner. Look behing the dredge to canyon wall,how'd ya like to haul that monster up/down a 1,600' vertical cliff and climb in/out everyday. For the rewards it was easy for me but NEVER could find anyone else with the fortitude(censored) to do it with me hahahaha-John
    Nice pics Hoser, looks like hiking that dredge in there was well worth it! Do you know how much all that gold in the first pic weighs? -N8

us
    Feb 2011
    Tillamook, OR
    White's 4900/D Pro Plus
    23 times
    Prospecting
    Terry it's too bad that the people that Brian Terry worked for didn't and don't have any honor.

Gramps
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1694 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKODA View Post
    It's pretty much whatever works at the time ain't it GG .
    Yep!
    I travel around a lot and you need to be prepared for any and all forms of prospecting, cause you just never know what tools you're gonna need to best get the job done.

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Apr 23, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
    ~Diggin The Adventure~
    Visit My Personal Forum Pages

Sponsors