NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What's your method?

Hey everyone, just posting this to see what other's preferred method(s) for finding gold is while panning, sniping, sluicing etc. For example, I usually use a hand dredge to collect deposits of gravel into a bucket then pan it out. Afterwards I go in with a viewing glass and scrape out any really small holes or cracks in the bedrock with tweezers and pick up any remaining gold.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite...... is using a gasoline powered vacuum while creviceing, sniping with a viewing glass, high banking, feeding a trommel, running a dredge, using a drywasher, nugget shooting with a detector, using a hand dredge, panning, sluicing, using a pick on a vein mucking and crushing the ore, and I'm sure there are some others I forgot to include. My least favorite is loading and un loading all that equipment :tongue3:

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite method is screen into bukets using no.4 screen.... wet or dry. Then run the buckets through a highbanker set up to recycle water. TTC

Hickory1

Apr 12, 2012
NE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depends on where one is looking for the gold....if in water or on bedrock, I would do as you have, then bring it home and put it under one of two lighted microscopes, one is X30 and one is X60-X100. I have a gravel pit which keeps me plenty busy with quartz, conglomerates, etc., There is a freshwater spring down there so need need for hauling it up for water I pan right there....snuffer it,,,then when I am done bring it home and put it in a pan and begin the process of "looking". Some "finds" are obvious like the quartz rock I found with a gold vein in it and pooling in depressions in the quartz....but mostly it is a labor of love!

Good luck in your searches!

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My favorite...... is using a gasoline powered vacuum while creviceing, sniping with a viewing glass, high banking, feeding a trommel, running a dredge, using a drywasher, nugget shooting with a detector, using a hand dredge, panning, sluicing, using a pick on a vein mucking and crushing the ore, and I'm sure there are some others I forgot to include. My least favorite is loading and un loading all that equipment :tongue3:

:laughing7: It's pretty much whatever works at the time ain't it GG .

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ol' 6" with a 18 hp hi dome pump,triple sluice,highly modified was one gravel munching monster and as long as she put out them pans fulla righteous oro puro I was one happy miner. Look behing the dredge to canyon wall,how'd ya like to haul that monster up/down a 1,600' vertical cliff and climb in/out everyday. For the rewards it was easy for me but NEVER could find anyone else with the fortitude(censored) to do it with me hahahaha-John

Attachments

• 3-1-2009 11;43;59 am.jpg
    3-1-2009 11;43;59 am.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 136
  • clear creek (2).jpg
    clear creek (2).jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 129
OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My ol' 6" with a 18 hp hi dome pump,triple sluice,highly modified was one gravel munching monster and as long as she put out them pans fulla righteous oro puro I was one happy miner. Look behing the dredge to canyon wall,how'd ya like to haul that monster up/down a 1,600' vertical cliff and climb in/out everyday. For the rewards it was easy for me but NEVER could find anyone else with the fortitude(censored) to do it with me hahahaha-John

Nice pics Hoser, looks like hiking that dredge in there was well worth it! Do you know how much all that gold in the first pic weighs? -N8

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry it's too bad that the people that Brian Terry worked for didn't and don't have any honor.

Gramps

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: It's pretty much whatever works at the time ain't it GG .

Yep! :icon_thumright:
I travel around a lot and you need to be prepared for any and all forms of prospecting, cause you just never know what tools you're gonna need to best get the job done.

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions