California miner needs help after USFS employee steals his property from claim

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
California miner needs help after USFS employee steals his property from claim without any notice. Please spread the word.

http://www.jeffersonminingdistrict.com/legal-news/USFS-Terror-USFS-steals-miners-property-from-california%20-miner.html

Kerby Jackson
Chairman - Jefferson Mining District

When will we finally, as a group, stand together against this criminal assault on a fellow miner?

Oh, so you're too busy huh?

I'll venture to guess that if it was your property stolen in an illegal act, you'd make the time to be involved...

There is power in numbers.. why can't most of you understand that?

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Hefty!!!! Why is it I hear Emerson, Lake and Palmers' Karn Evil #9 playing in my head? To quote: "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends!"

Didn't these guys learn ANYTHING during round 1? I guess the old ranger didn't warn his replacement about you! He must not have liked him very much or something. I guess it's time to get another Ranger edu-ma-cated here. Just send him copies of all the letters to his predecessor and see if he's STUPID enough to keep pushing.

Here hoping someone at the forest service shows some brains for a change.

OP
OP
H

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Ya know it seems that when one of them creates to many problems, they move em out of the area and put them in a different position, calling it a promotion for them.
Then they bring in a new one that has no education of the mining laws, and how they involve mining claims.

But he can probably dissect a frog in a New York second.

Tuesday Nov 05 2013

New American River district chief’s leadership forged by fire Victor Lyon served as acting district ranger during American Fire

5-new-chief-victor-lyon.jpg

Victor Lyon has been selected as the district ranger for the American River Ranger District on the Tahoe National Forest.
Lyon had been serving as the acting district ranger until recently and has held the position of district wildlife biologist in Foresthill since 2010. His two months as acting district ranger coincided with the American Fire in August that burned more than 26,000 acres east of Foresthill.

In announcing the appointment, Tahoe National Forest Supervisor Tom Quinn noted the leadership skills Lyon showed during the American Fire.
“Victor did an outstanding job as acting ranger this summer, including leading the district during the American Fire and its aftermath,” Quinn said. “I am very pleased that he will be serving in this capacity.”
Lyon started his federal civilian career in wildlife biology with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Merced County. He worked for the agency in various California locations and positions until joining the U.S. Forest Service in 2000 as a biological science technician with the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit. He began work for the Tahoe National Forest in 2010.
Lyon holds a Bachelor of Science degree in wildlife and fisheries biology from the University of California at Davis. He has been involved in wildlife and heritage programs, as well as extensive work on National Environmental Policy Act efforts as an interdisciplinary team leader.
Lyons said he’s excited to have the opportunity to serve as district ranger.
“I look forward to getting some good work done on the ground, contributing toward a thriving work environment, and seeing what we can do,” Lyon said. “I’d also like to express my gratitude for everyone’s help on the American Fire this year.”
Lyon will report to his new position on Dec. 2. He succeeds Chris Fischer, who assumed the district ranger post in 2009. Fischer was promoted to deputy director of State and Private Forestry in the Forest Service Pacific Southwest Regional Office, located in Vallejo. Temoc Rios has been acting American River district ranger since mid-October.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
All I can say here (because what I'm really thinking most likely wouldn't go over well with the mods) is that maybe you should send him a welcoming present. Something like, oh let's say a COPY OF THE MINING LAWS with an attachment of the forest services scope of operations? They always seem to forget that they are a SURFACE ASSETS MANAGEMENT AGENCY and the BLM handles mining.

As to the moving of "Trouble causing employees" We saw it here with the Ranger that was giving Tom Tierney so many problems. After the judge smacked her down the second time she was transfered. Don't know to where and for the most part we didn't care as long as she's GONE!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is gif some may like...

uploadfromtaptalk1418663803342.jpg

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
University of California at Davis is a liberal, eco nazi nerve center. He hates anything that isn't liberal oriented.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
University of California at Davis is a liberal, eco nazi nerve center. He hates anything that isn't liberal oriented.

Please keep politics not directly related to thread out of forum.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO MATTER HOW INCOMPETANT A FOREST SERCICE EMPLOYEE MAY BE --HE WILL ALWAYS BE PROMOTED TO YET A HIGHER POSITION OF EVEN MORE INCOMPETANCE .....sic sic sic ...the game continues with new players.....John:censored:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well you're right of course John and we only have their union to thank for that. It seems that no matter how incompetent a person is or how many people believe that he needs to be fired, actually getting them fired is almost impossible to do. So... they "promote" them, transfer them to another area and consider the problem solved. This isn't just the forest service, it's pretty much all grubberment workers! We all know this is wrong but until the people themselves stand up against their union this practice is going to keep going on. As it stands right now, about the only way to get someone fired is if they either kill someone or get caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Something as "minor" trampling on an individuals rights to mine or use public lands in a manner that is allowed by law doesn't seem to be a good enough reason (to the union) to allow them to be fired.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NO MATTER HOW INCOMPETANT A FOREST SERCICE EMPLOYEE MAY BE --HE WILL ALWAYS BE PROMOTED TO YET A HIGHER POSITION OF EVEN MORE INCOMPETANCE .....sic sic sic ...the game continues with new players.....John:censored:

Which leads me to one of many quotes I conceived while working for the government...

"There is nothing worse than incompetence with confidence".

BTW, I tend to ignore sticky's...(guilty with an explanation). I can barely keep up with the new stuff, ya know? But the other Jeff and I were talking the other day about Hefty1's thread (the original stickey btw) and how important it is to keep up on this "stuff". The very reason they are sticky's is ...IT'S IMPORTANT! So noted...Nuff said.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well they know the rules... No response within 14 days and it's considered as approved! Let's hope this new guy has half a brain more than his predecessor! (That would put him up to 60% of a brain by my estimate.)

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Er... so the USFS employee did what he is paid to do: collected what he thought was abandoned property. What's the problem? Just go and get it, and then file a claim for what is no longer reclaimable. How in the world is the USFS doing its job considered "stealing?" The USFS removes a bloody hell of a lot of abandoned items from the forests. It is easy and simple to reclaim: one need merely tell them it belongs to you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Er... so the USFS employee did what he is paid to do: collected what he thought was abandoned property. What's the problem? Just go and get it, and then file a claim for what is no longer reclaimable. How in the world is the USFS doing its job considered "stealing?" The USFS removes a bloody hell of a lot of abandoned items from the forests. It is easy and simple to reclaim: one need merely tell them it belongs to you.
Did you read the article in the first post?

"As the Golden Eagle is very clearly and plainly marked, not to mention the fact that claim records are publicly available from BLM, USFS employees violated Mark's rights by not following through with their fiduciary duties to protect his property."

OP
OP
H

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010

I will not even touch this one...?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Uh huh, and you have retrieved how much equipment from them? Why do they take it when they know it belongs to you in the first place and when it is in use? You go to the store and come back to find your gate open and they left in such a hurry that they don't even lock it back up... It's all to common for them to come grab your belongings and then send a letter to you, giving you 30 days to clean up your clean area, and when you go to your claim the same day, you find that they took first and sent the letter after. Plus they don't know what happened to your dredge, winch, motor home, etc. that one of them now has at home.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems that it's getting more and more common for employees of these state and federal agencies to not even bother with established procedures. If it means more work for them to do it "the right way" they simply ignore the rules and do what they want.

Depending on the area, I can see where it wouldn't be out of the question for a miner not to visit their claim for over a month. This could be because of weather conditions, illness or any number of other valid reasons. So posting a notice at the claim is not always going to get the miners attention that there is a problem which needs to be addressed in the eyes of the forest service. From what I understand, these guys couldn't not even be bothered to look up the actual owner of the claim and send a notification to the listed address which we all KNOW is included in the BLM records. This shows nothing but a lack of even trying to follow the rules on their part and making up their own as they see fit. I seem to remember Hefty stating that his claim was clearly marked and those markers had his contact info on them. Again, no excuse for the improper actions of the rangers.

Heftys' case just goes to show that every claim owner needs to learn and understand the laws if for no other reason than to protect themselves, their investments and their property from over zealous federal/state employees that are unwilling to do their jobs the way they are supposed to. Had the rangers in question followed the rules, a lot of the hassles and costs that Hefty went thru could have been avoided and the USFS could have avoided a lot of egg on their collective faces. That the situation is now repeating itself is the height of insanity on the part of the forest service.

Claim owners are under fire all over the country thanks to the agendas of several different groups that want to take our rights away from us. If we allow them to succeed, we would be hard pressed to ever be able to regain those rights. These groups are not going to stop at just miners! Once they're done with us, they'll be going after hunters, fishermen, off road enthusiasts and every other section of the public that uses public lands for their enjoyment. I feel that we as claim owners and miners need to band together with other users of the public lands and let our voices be heard in our state capitols and in Washington. If we remain silent, our way of life could very well be lost forever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread